Beginner Removing Fringing in PS Elements

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I seem to be getting really bad orange and green fringing in the raw files from my d3200 that isn't there with jpegs. I'm presuming there's some in-camera processing that I'm not aware of that I haven't been doing in Elements. Is there a way to do this? I can't find the setting if there is.

What other in-camera processing do I need to be correcting that I'm not getting on raw files? Is ther some kind of edge sharpening as well?

Hi James I had this last week with my new 35mm 1.8 wide open with light behind tree branches,2 of the worst scenarios.Stopping down helps,smaller aperture sidewise i mean like F8 instead of F2 for example. the in camera jpegs does some chromatic aberration adjustment to correct it thats why the raw which doesn't ,shows up more.
it can be corrected somewhat in PP using the lens profile then choosing the CA correction but there is another problem called Locos or something like that which i believe can't be got rid of easily. also the more expensive lenses have some elements or something in them which corrects for this,its to do with the different waves of different coloured light reflection.
as you can tell I'm not very informed of it all but enough to now know what it is and how to avoid the worst of it etc.

hope this helps but someone more technically in the know will explain better I'm sure soon

Well here's one of the shots in question - it's worst in the top left hand corner. I've never had a problem with fringing when shooting jpeg. This was shot at f8 which is usually fine.

Last edited:
Chromatic Abberation (purple fringing) removal in PSE
Ok, on rare occasion I've done a how to, elsewhere someone mentioned to me that their 300 was frustrating as when they shot against a gray sky or a snowy scene the transitions were horribly purpled. This is called Chromatic Aberration and is unfortunately a fairly common issue.

If you have spent the money on Photoshop you may have already used the tools to fix this, just grab the slider and viola the problem goes away. Likewise I know Nikon's software can deal with this as well, and more and more in camera processing takes care of it.

However for the rest of us, there are still options.

In Photoshop Elements (Henceforth known as PSE) You can quickly and easily remove CA (Chromatic Aberration).

Start a new hue/saturation adjustment layer
from the menu pull downs
Layer
- new adjustment layer
-hue/saturation...

Give the layer a name and click ok.

Now you will have the Hue/saturation dialog box up.

It defaults to the master control, leave this alone.
Click the pull down menu (Currently it says "master")
and select "Magenta"
Slide the Saturation control left and watch the purple fringe vanish before your eyes. Generally in the -60 to -90 range should cover it, but adjust for your images special needs.

Now if like in my example you do this and suddenly you realize you also have the dreaded cyan (greenish) fringe.

Simply select the pull down again and select Cyan.
Now again drag the saturation left till the fringe is gone.

When your satisfied with your changes click ok on the dialog box.

Now your CA is gone forever.

MY example image is huge, but it will show clearly what has changed.

Hopefully one of you will find this useful.

Found this in google hope it helps

Chris I could kiss you (be thankful it's virtual!). CA has been bugging me for ages. I could remove it in the Canon DPP software but lost the changes if I tried to take it into Paintshop Pro. PaintShop's CA removal tool is an on or off thing which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I've just tried 'your' method with some tree branches that all turned a lurid green using the PSP tool and the CA is gone with no adverse colour cast. Now I've just got to start all over again with two images from last week....................
My landscape images are all taken at between F8 and F14 so stopping down doesn't help, not with my lenses anyway.

Back