renewing driving licence in UK

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
For those who don't live in the UK once you reach the age of 70 you have to renew your driving licence every 3 years, The DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency } send a paper notifying you it needs to be renewed. this can be done on line or by snail mail.
For me I as I have gleaucoma in both eyes I also have to have a DVLA eye sight test. Now this test for some unknown reason can only be done by a national private company called Specsavers as their equipment has been approved by you know who.
So mid November this year I got the dreaded letter and the earliest eye test was mid December, so near panic sets in as to passing the eye test or not. You also get a covering letter allowing one to drive providing the eye test is booked and your waiting for it.
So on the 15 December off I go apprehensively for the eye test which includes a field and distance number plate check. Ok sat the test but Specsavers are not allowed to say if you have passed or not. So yet again a more worrying time

Yesterday i got notified by the DVLA I "PASSED" yippee so now allowed to drive for another 3 years I also had to send in a new photo of myself

Last edited:
When I last renewed my 10 year licence I thought they had made a mistake with the expiry date, then realised it was the year I would be 70, no discount for short measures though.

When I last renewed my 10 year licence I thought they had made a mistake with the expiry date, then realised it was the year I would be 70, no discount for short measures though.
When I last renewed my licence, I got 18 months only. Just got the letter telling me to renew as I will soon be officially ancient.

Great news Bazza.

I've loved cars and driving all my life and will be devastated when I have to stop and of course apart from the joy of it there's the extra hassle not being able to drive can bring.

Glad for you that you can carry on.

I have had a clean licence for 60 years, not even a parking ticket, and as you lost without it. Also accepted as ID in banks etc

Last edited:
Been renewing mine every 3 years since I was 42 (now 58). Have to wait for the DVLA to write to my Neurologist each time and he's always slow to respond so I never get my new one before the old one expires. I'm driving under section 88 atm as my old one expired 2 months ago!

The really annoying thing is that I can't do the application onlne.

Renew online​

At the moment, you can only renew online if you have diabetes, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, a visual impairment, a sleep condition, or a heart condition.

Back