Repairs for my OM-2n?

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
Forgive me, Talkphotography, for I have sinned - been away from this site for ages - moving house, having children, buying classic cars... My photography's taken a back seat lately...:(
Anyway, I blew the dust off my trusty OM-2n, and ran a couple of films through it, before dropping it!!:crying: Luckily it was in a bag and so the only damage is the metering, which is now about 4 stops out.

So - can you recommend a course of action? Do I...
a. Repair it, in which case can you recommend a good repair centre? Any ideas how much something like that might cost? Or...
b. Chuck it, as I can get a healthy replacement which has been checked over by a reputable camera shop on Ebay for £60-£80?

Chesham Cameras near me said it may be up to £130 to repair as the whole board may need replacing. All Chiswick cameras near my work would say was that it would be "over £50" So it's anybody's guess.... What do you lot think???

Your advice is appreciated.
;)

Could it be that it's jogged the ISO dial or associated gubbin out of whack? Shouldn't think it'll be a massive repair - get it fixed!

Speculation on prices isn't a fun game... someone on the internet underestimating could give you a false impression, and only when it is in pieces on a repairman's table can you really tell exactly how much a repair will cost.

In general though, Miles Whitehead is the general recommendation for decent value CLAs.

How about you follow the steps below:

Close your eyes, twist around 3 times saying I need a replacement OM2n and then click your heels together twice, then PM your address to me and I'll send you a CLA'd by Miles, Black OM2n (without the hotshoe though) for the cost of the RMSD postage.

Close your eyes, twist around 3 times saying I need a replacement OM2n and then click your heels together twice, then PM your address to me and I'll send you a CLA'd by Miles, Black OM2n (without the hotshoe though) for the cost of the RMSD postage.

What a gent :clap:

Holy crap!!!:eek: Are you serious???:D
I think if such an arrangement were to be made, slightly more than postage may wing its way to you - or a donation from me to a charity of your choice - or something....

PM on its way, still in some disbelief at my luck...!!!

Out of pure curiosity, what's the car (or cars)?

LF1_IMG_3128copy.jpg

:)

That's a very nice Beetle. Did you buy it in that condition or have you restored it?

No need for any kudos this way, I currently have 8x Olympus 35mm SLRs and 8x Pentax 35mm SLRs so I could do with thinning them down a bit.

If it has made your day and you can put it to use it will be better for the camera than to be sat around in a bag down here. Funny thing is I offered it to someone else on here with a standard lens as they were wanting to try some film photography and were on a budget, the only stipulation I made was that if they found that film was not for them, they didn't sell it but offered it to someone else on here to use. They never even replied to the post, let alone PM'd me, some folk :thinking:

I've said this before, and I've a feeling I'll probably say it again, Ed - your a Star. A genuine, fur lined, ocean going, copper bottomed Star!!

Orby1 said:

Oh, hello!

What's that, a '61 or '62? Are you an LTV VWOC member?

(watercooled guy with a 1990 Scirocco Scala, but I'm always a bit partial to aircooled Dubs)

I have to say - Ed's generosity has left me quite humbled. I barely know what to say, except of course a massive 'thank you'.:love: What a brilliant thing to do. Such an act can turn someone's whole month around, when times are grim and everyone seems desperately out to get every penny out of you they can, Ed here has reminded me there are people around who can step back and remember what a big difference an act of generosity can make.
Ed, your camera will be well cared for, and thoroughly enjoyed.
Thank you again.
(y)

Oh, hello!

What's that, a '61 or '62? Are you an LTV VWOC member?

(watercooled guy with a 1990 Scirocco Scala, but I'm always a bit partial to aircooled Dubs)

Musicman, my bug's a '62, well spotted:D. I'm not in LTV VWOC, but am in a couple of smaller local clubs. I bought it in good condition as I'm not that good with welders etc, and am slowly turning it into a 60's rally car, hopefully at some point to do a bit of classic rallying, if money allows!!

Oh, hello! LTNS.

Yep, I still have it, but it's getting very little use and I fear it may be appearing on the Register's classifieds as I'm not sure I can continue to justify the money keeping it on the road.

Last edited:
Back