Replacement for hard worked D3

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
After 8 or 9 happy years of using my D3 - it is time to either: spend £1000 having it 'restored' or buy a new body.

The D3 still works well, but the body is tatty with paint missing and the rubbers falling off. It does what I need - so new features and extra "crap" that I will never use (after all, the D3 only has A, S and M as far as I am concerned and I don't think I have ever used it over 1000 ASA, and that was just to try to see what it is what like. 95% of the time it is on 200 - another 4% it is on 100 to slow the shutter down and the remaining 1% I will stretch it to 400)

I am thinking of the natural replacement of D4s - but is there anything else I should be looking at? PLEASE, do not entertain any other body than Nikon, because I have a suite of lenses and just want to consider my options with the body. I am tempted to just throw money at the existing D3 and get it tidied up. It has served me perfectly and is still on the original battery, which gives me a week of shooting on one charge still, so can't complain.

Any thoughts?

I reckon you would get it "tided" up for a lot less than £1000 :)

Difficult one if the camera is doing what you need it to, but spending £1K refurbing a camera that is already quite old - particularly in tech terms - doesn't seem sensible to me ... A D4 or D4s or even a D3s would all offer some improvements with the D4/D4s offering better metering, AF to F8 and a few more mega pixles, plus a larger buffer (I think) - but it does use a different battery. Would a D8xx work for you at all - sounds like pixels are not an issue ...

What is a good condition D3 worth now about £700?

Not really much point spending a lot of money on it I would have thought for under a Grand you could easily pick up a much better condition D3 maybe even a D3S or one of the newer bodies like a D750.

The reason I am hedging is because of reliability - I have heard plenty of stories of problems withg the 800 and 750 series - plus the 750 dooesn't have vertical hold, so the handling is going to be compromised. Unless they do a bolt on bottom bit for it.

If it does what you need and you've no requirement for more pixels, fix it up. It'll love you back..

I'd be tempted to have the D3 fixed up if it does all that you need. Presumably the £1k price is for a new shutter etc? Seems better than dropping three grand on a D4s. The D800 is a great camera and handles well with a grip [I've got one] compared to my previous D2x so that's an option. Do you need the FPS the D3 offers?

Since it sounds like you're pretty happy with the d3, why not buy some new rubbers and stick them on yourself? Suspect you'll have plenty of change from £100 (would suggest you buy from Nikon not 3rd party) and the camera will feel great again.

Unless it's bust, I can't see any reason to spend more on it.

Last edited:
Simon, what do you shoot mainly? Do you need the FPS speed & large buffer?

You obviously use & keep your equipment, rather than changing for the sake of upgrading, so your next purchase will probably be something you'll keep for some time.

£1000 seems like a massive amount to spend on repairing a pretty old camera. I'd look at buying a low mileage D3 or D3s for the same sort of money. Or you could look at a pair of D700's with grips for the same sort of money (same sensor etc as the D3).

I have both D3 and D4. The D4 has better auto focus and more dynamic range. Ergonomically very similar but does have 'more crap' that you will not use.
I was thrilled with my D3 when I first got it and even more thrilled with my D4, however the main benefit to me was ISO performance. If you do not need that and IF £1000 will make your D3 'as new' I would stick with the D3.

Good replies thanks guys. The "£1000" fix up price isn't a quote - but I know camera techies know how to charge! The D3 seems to be bulletproof, which for me is important and why I am not keen on the "plastic" bodied cameras - I have had big waves break right over me while I am shooting (boat to boat stuff), saltwater this is. The D3 has shrugged it off, but the flash contacts are now starting to show signs of corrossion - I do get erratic misfires from the flash, or the SB800 thing goes haywire instead of firing the off camera flashes, which I think is just down to dodgy contacts.

To bring it back to life it will need some rubbers, a new flash contact shoe (screws on) and probably a good clean throughout while they are at it, after all, if they've got it in bits it seems churlish to not go the whole hog. The shutter, last count on this one, was at a shade over 500,000 - it has only ever had sensor cleans it's entire life. You cannot argue with reliability and ruggedness like that.

When it gets doused in sea water (fairly regularly, with other boats coming close and throwing up a bow wave over us!) I just pour fresh water over it out of my drinks bottle, then towel it off, dry and clean the lens filter with a chamois and get cracking again. The sealing is very good - not underwater good, but certainly a wave going over the top doesn't get in.

The other thing that is making me ask questions is I am getting asked for video clips too - which I am doing on the P7800 compact at the moment, coupled with a Garmin VIRB for some angles. I don't need TV broadcast films, just teasers and extras - people are very happy with the videos from the P7800 (that little Coolpix is a great camera!)

I am wondering whether the D4s would just make life easier - but it is going to fill my computer faster too!

With regard to the FPS requirement - I do shoot short bursts of high frame rate, but it is timed and I get 9 FPS now but generally only 5 at a time. I should have the shot in those 5. I can always turn it down a bit and stick with the 9FPS I am used to. If the AF is a bit faster and more accurate than the D3 then that would help. It will need a load of jobs to pay for the difference though - and my rule is, if it won't pay for itself, I don't buy it. I have another D3 to fall back on, a bit younger, so can afford to be without the body over the winter for a few weeks. I am not sure I would send it to Nikon to be done, I think I would take it to the guys in Newcastle-under-Lyme, who do get work sent to them by all the major manufacturers - H. Lehmann, they have a good reputation.

MPB can do you a D3 with in the region of 100k clicks for 700 notes - if yours has had a hard life that might be preferable to spending a grand on repair

That is also an option - I'll see what Lehmanns say about the price of fixing her up. I haven't spent any money on kit for several years, so I don't mind a bit of investment this coming year - just had year end, typical.

I think a trip to Fixation might also be worth the time and effort. I have a couple of bikes to photograph in London town, so will be going down anyway (horrid place, but needs must).

People have asked what sort of stuff do I do - here are a few pictures to give you an idea. I don't have many on P'bucket, I can't be bothered with all the upload nonsense!

I love my D3 but if it was a choice between spending close to £1k restoring it or finding a lowish mileage replacement, I'd go for a replacement.

I agree - I don't know that it is £1000, that is what I have budgeted on. It migt only be £378 !!

Anyone know anything about Photo Direct in Hove?

Photodirect
PO Box 5402
Hove
East Sussex
BN52 9YN
United Kingdom

They are selling a brand new, sealed in box, body for £1000 - seems a good opportunity, but it almost seems to good to be true - and if it seems too good to be true, it generally is....but, maybe for once in my life it is a good chance.

I agree - I don't know that it is £1000, that is what I have budgeted on. It migt only be £378 !!

Anyone know anything about Photo Direct in Hove?

Photodirect
PO Box 5402
Hove
East Sussex
BN52 9YN
United Kingdom

They are selling a brand new, sealed in box, body for £1000 - seems a good opportunity, but it almost seems to good to be true - and if it seems too good to be true, it generally is....but, maybe for once in my life it is a good chance.

Just gave them a quick google and trust pilot came up with a 1 star reviews...Does sound too good to be honest with you aswell for a camera of that age to be brand new still...If you want to get another D3 I would look at used places like MPB, LCE etc.

Grays of westminster have got a goodly selection of D3 , D3S, D3X, and D4 for sale second hand ... they are a bit pricier than MPB (which is down to them being a bricks and mortar shop) but they've a good range

I am glad I asked now - I have never heard of Trust Pilot - it was on ebay, then when I want to py I have to do it by bank transfer. Ebay apparently have to send me an email with payment instructions on...I think I they are a scam seller by the sound of it. How do you report it to Ebay (I know so little about computers and stuff - I can't even get the internet on my smartphone because I don't know how to!)

I usually use Fixtion and I am happy to buy new - I'll hang on and see how much refurb will cost. It is easy to buy a new body, all you have to do is go to a shop and hand over a kidney or two !

I upgraded to a D4 from a D3 and am still enjoying it. Very recently bought a D810 and that looks pretty good as well. The higher file sizes will suit my landscape stuff.... Have to say I still miss the D3 a bit though. That was a brilliant bit of kit.

Chris

I am glad I asked now - I have never heard of Trust Pilot - it was on ebay, then when I want to py I have to do it by bank transfer. Ebay apparently have to send me an email with payment instructions on...I think I they are a scam seller by the sound of it. How do you report it to Ebay (I know so little about computers and stuff - I can't even get the internet on my smartphone because I don't know how to!)

I usually use Fixtion and I am happy to buy new - I'll hang on and see how much refurb will cost. It is easy to buy a new body, all you have to do is go to a shop and hand over a kidney or two !

Ebay & Bank Transfer in the same sentence is always a bad combination :D

Well, I haven't paid anything provided ebay don't take my Pay Pal and give the money over. I am going to contact their Customer Services when I find out how to and give them the details of the seller - the email address is just a gmail and is a totally different name to the seller.

It stinks - but these scammers are very clever at covering their tracks.

I thought I saw a few D4's on the classified forum here for 2K, If you were able to sell your D3 for anything near 1k then that money that may of been used to restore your camera could be put towards buying the newer iteration?

Sorry if i misunderstood the requirement!

To be honest, with the D5 being rumoured for release later this year or early next, I wouldn't go jumping at a D4 just yet. There will be plenty appearing at competitive prices when everyone upgrades. For the little money it will cost to cosmetically restore the D3 (which I would agree is a great camera), I would wait, although I understand your desire to get something that will do video too, which obviously the D3 doesn't.

I'd agree if he was buying outright for 4 grand, and rumours actually came to fruition, but for a delta of about a grand then it doesn't seem too bad a gamble. Worst case you can sell on in a year and lose a few hundred quid but enjoy a better experience in the meantime.

Just my perspective anyway, probably not the most financially sound advice, but more fun! ;D

To be honest, with the D5 being rumoured for release later this year or early next, I wouldn't go jumping at a D4 just yet. There will be plenty appearing at competitive prices when everyone upgrades. For the little money it will cost to cosmetically restore the D3 (which I would agree is a great camera), I would wait, although I understand your desire to get something that will do video too, which obviously the D3 doesn't.

I agree, the market will be flooded with D4 and D4s next year when the D5 emerges. It's been happening every year that I can remember since the F3 came out !

I agree, the market will be flooded with D4 and D4s next year when the D5 emerges. It's been happening every year that I can remember since the F3 came out !

After last nights experience of trying to buy something off the internet - I am put off buying off the internet completely. It has just taken me nearly 2 hours to clear things up from that ebay D4s. I didn't know it wasn't on ebay - it was, then when I clciked to look at it in detail, rather than on the list, it went to a completely different website, BUT IT LOOKED IDENTICAL to ebay, to the point I didn't know it wasn't still on ebay - it was Ebay fraud team that told me this morning.

When the time comes, I shall be giving Mike Macnamara a ring at Fixation and buying from them - they have always been very competitively priced and excellent service, even at range. For the sake of a couple £00s it just isn't worth the risk. An almost new D4s might be the way to go - or as you say, one of the last ones being cleared to make way for the new model.

I have asked Lehmann's for a price of a refurb. That will see me through the winter, things usually tail off a bit in the run up to Christmas anyway, so no immediate rush - it gives me the winter to get used to it.

After last nights experience of trying to buy something off the internet - I am put off buying off the internet completely. It has just taken me nearly 2 hours to clear things up from that ebay D4s. I didn't know it wasn't on ebay - it was, then when I clciked to look at it in detail, rather than on the list, it went to a completely different website, BUT IT LOOKED IDENTICAL to ebay, to the point I didn't know it wasn't still on ebay - it was Ebay fraud team that told me this morning.

When the time comes, I shall be giving Mike Macnamara a ring at Fixation and buying from them - they have always been very competitively priced and excellent service, even at range. For the sake of a couple £00s it just isn't worth the risk. An almost new D4s might be the way to go - or as you say, one of the last ones being cleared to make way for the new model.

I have asked Lehmann's for a price of a refurb. That will see me through the winter, things usually tail off a bit in the run up to Christmas anyway, so no immediate rush - it gives me the winter to get used to it.

Sorry to hear that, there was no internet around in F3 days. Plenty of good deals to be had from Camera Retailers up and down the country. Wilkinson a in Liverpool is particularly good.

Sorry to hear that, there was no internet around in F3 days. Plenty of good deals to be had from Camera Retailers up and down the country. Wilkinson a in Liverpool is particularly good.

F3 ? - I started with an FM - then FM2, FE2 through to the FA, which had a brilliant S mode, set your shutter speed and it would work the aperture until you ran out, then it would start knocking the shutter speed off to maintain exposure. That would be useful if incorporated into the modern cameras - you're not telling me they can't do it - they do ISO change on the fly, so why not shutter speed? Then worked my way through the F numbers - F3, F4s, F5 (several!) I only changed from the F5 when the D2X came out, that was the time I changed to pixels.

F3 ? - I started with an FM - then FM2, FE2 through to the FA, which had a brilliant S mode, set your shutter speed and it would work the aperture until you ran out, then it would start knocking the shutter speed off to maintain exposure. That would be useful if incorporated into the modern cameras - you're not telling me they can't do it - they do ISO change on the fly, so why not shutter speed? Then worked my way through the F numbers - F3, F4s, F5 (several!) I only changed from the F5 when the D2X came out, that was the time I changed to pixels.

And I started with a Nikkormat FTn :p

Interestingly, I just had a look at my D800 manual to see if something had changed in Program Mode (never use it) and was something like you describe - it isn't, as far as I can see.

However, I found this in Shutter Priority, and I'm baffled as to it's usefulness.

Nikon Manual
Selecting On for Shutter speed lock locks shutter speed at the value currently selected in mode S or A. Selecting On for Aperture
lock locks aperture at the value currently selected in mode A or M. Shutter speed and aperture lock are not available in mode P

Sorry - got sidetracked :(

Last edited:
And I started with a Nikkormat FTn :p

Interestingly, I just had a look at my D800 manual to see if something had changed in Program Mode (never use it) and was something like you describe - it isn't, as far as I can see.

However, I found this in Shutter Priority, and I'm baffled as to it's usefulness.

Sorry - got sidetracked :(

I have read that manual text twice - I still don't understand what it is saying! Unless it means you can lock the selected value and the other value will be altered to suit - so Aperture remains locked, or Shutter remains locked. I thought they did in A or S modes anyway - but perhaps it is to prevent inadvertent changes.

Back