Replacement for hard worked D3

I have read that manual text twice - I still don't understand what it is saying! Unless it means you can lock the selected value and the other value will be altered to suit - so Aperture remains locked, or Shutter remains locked. I thought they did in A or S modes anyway - but perhaps it is to prevent inadvertent changes.

Glad it's not just me then! (I suppose it stays that way in case you get excited fingers)

Update. Contacted Lehmanns and was quoted £240 per body for a refurb. 10 days in workshop.

Just out of interest I phoned Nikon Professional Service (I have been an NPS member since about 1986, when you used to have to be invited to be a member!) and they said somewhere between £150 - £200 for a total recondition - and a 3-5 day turn around. Guess where I shall be sending the first one then. :nikon:

Update. Contacted Lehmanns and was quoted £240 per body for a refurb. 10 days in workshop.

Just out of interest I phoned Nikon Professional Service (I have been an NPS member since about 1986, when you used to have to be invited to be a member!) and they said somewhere between £150 - £200 for a total recondition - and a 3-5 day turn around. Guess where I shall be sending the first one then. :nikon:

That seems to be a great price, I assumed a recondition would be far more than that.

Out of interest what does a "total recondition" consist of?

My D3 is also getting on so would be looking to give it some TLC soon. Many thanks.

In my case, the rubbers are falling off, the hot shoe needs replacing because the saltwater has finally dissolved the contacts, the paintwork needs re-doing because of the putting it down on rocks or non-slip decks to get low down shots (ground level), the eyepiece cover has gone, then it'll get a service of the insides, sensor clean, check, calibrate and given a clean bill of health. i might get a shock when they open it up and say it needs a new shutter (not included in the quote) but the older one of the pair has clocked up 8 years of serious work in harsh environments without a falter. Can I really complain? I think it has been serviced once in that time - it is so long ago and so much has gone under the bridge that I can't remember!

Just an update, in case there is someone who might have a passing interest. :sleep:

Invoice came through today. I only sent the the body in on Wednesday, Special Delivery, so it arrived on Thursday. The body has been has ben completely taken back to as new, complete with new bayonet mount, hot shoe and rubbers all round. The internals have been stripped, cleaned, lubricated, calibrated and checked. The price, including VAT and courier back to me?

£212.74 Money well spent I think and far cheaper than changing the body for one of the new, inferior models. :beer:

That's a bargain!
I'll keep you updated - it should be arriving tomorrow. I made a boob on the paperwork with payment method, otherwise it would have been despatched on Monday...I was down in Swansea working, so didn't get the email until I got home last night - not their fault it is two dayslate leaving. I phoned today to pay the invoice (I thought I had given them all the info they needed to process the payament and despatch - I had missed something off :whistle: - so a quick phone call to give them all the payment numbers sorted it. :nikon:

Great to see you have stuck with the D3 and it's well worth the cost of the service.
Personally I think you have made the right decision as well.
I can't fault my D3 I purchased just after it's release and it's been faultless over the years even after a swim in Ullswater Lake District.
Certainly a working togs go to bit of kit I have 3 friends who have recently purchased s/h D3 and are over the moon with the results and performance :)

Back