Replacement lens for Nikon D700

Name
Sue
Edit My Images
Yes
Having recently broke the bank and bought a D700 (god it's fab!) I need to look at replacing one of my lenses as it's a Nikon DX format 18-200mm. It's great but obviously the cropping factor is a bit of pain so I'm going to sell/ebay it

Has anyone got the Sigma 28-300 Macro or the 18-200 DC OSHSM? I'm not sure if these are DX or FX format so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Having recently broke the bank and bought a D700 (god it's fab!) I need to look at replacing one of my lenses as it's a Nikon DX format 18-200mm. It's great but obviously the cropping factor is a bit of pain so I'm going to sell/ebay it

Has anyone got the Sigma 28-300 Macro or the 18-200 DC OSHSM? I'm not sure if these are DX or FX format so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Any Sigma lens with DC in the title is designed for crop-sensor camera's. DG is the acronym used for Full Frame in Sigma's marketing speak.

For example:

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM (Cropped)
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM (Full Frame)

Hope this helps.

Aha - I didn't know what it stood for so that's cleared that up. Thanks!

Hmm so the cheaper (preferable) 28-300 Macro is an a relatively good option? then plus it gives me the added Macro function

Any Sigma lens with DC in the title is designed for crop-sensor camera's. DG is the acronym used for Full Frame in Sigma's marketing speak.

For example:

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM (Cropped)
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM (Full Frame)

Hope this helps.

sorry to be pedantic but i thought it meant it was designed for digital sensors (a type of glass coating) and not just full frame? meaning it can be used on anything, full frame, crop or film.

in regards to the op, given you've got a d700, why not look at a higher quality glass? something like the 28-70? or primes? i cant help but feel putting a 28-300 on it would be a waste of the camera!

Having got such a good camera you should save up and get top quality glass for it. I have just bought the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 afs for my D700, the combination is fantastic

I would avoid the 28-300. It may seem like a good idea but you'll get fed up with the images it softens before the credit card bill arrives. The D700 likes decent lenses and will show up any shortcomings on those it doesn't like. Also, don't be fooled by the Macro designation - all it means is that the lens will focus closer than some of its rivals. Keep saving and hope that prices don't rise again before you reach your target.

sorry to be pedantic but i thought it meant it was designed for digital sensors (a type of glass coating) and not just full frame? meaning it can be used on anything, full frame, crop or film.

You can be pedantic. :D

You are right, DG can be used across any of the sensor types. (y)

Do you really want an all-in-one lens solution or would you be okay with a couple of lenses across a similar focal range? I can recommend the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8....they will shine on your D700. :)

While the D700 being low pixel density is quite forgiving glass wise (the Tamron 28-300 VC is surprisingly good), you really do need to put on better glass than you are currently listing.

If you want 18-200 VR type coverage you may be better keeping that lens and a DX body, rather than put mediocre all-in-ones on the D700 IMHO.

24-120 ? Seems to be a fine lens and reasonably priced compared to many in the Nikon lineup

24-120 ? Seems to be a fine lens and reasonably priced compared to many in the Nikon lineup

The 24-120 VR is really hit and miss. I found a good sharp copy on the 3rd attempt (new build, box with a 5xxxxx serial) - any before that have been junk, and the worse Nikkor's I have ever used.

I compared a 2xxxxx and a 5xxxx and its night and day.

Only get a 24-120 VR if it comes with the new gold box AND has a 5xxxxx serial, or it'll be like putting on a coke bottle - but less sharp.

I did have doubts about the low quality glass on the d700 body and am now stumped as to what to do!:thinking:

I have the 70-200 f2.8 which is brilliant and is the one I use the most as I do a fair bit of horse event photography. But having gone to the Wildlife heritage foundation at the weekend missed out on a few shots as I would have had to change lenses etc.

the 24-70 f2.8 afs sounds like something worth investigating though and then a prime Macro lens as that is an area I would like to investigate, or may extenision tubes to start with.

thanks for your advice and helping me spend my money :D I think the credit card is going to take a severe bashing as I'm useless at saving the pennies!

If you're going for a 24-70 f/2.8, try the Sigma. It's a lot cheaper than the Nikon version and I can tell you that the D700 likes it! (At least, mine does mine!) I bought mine to replace the Nikon 24-120 VR that came as part of a kit with the D700. Didn't have any problems with the 24-120 but the Sigma is marginally sharper and slightly faster, albeit with a slightly reduced range and no VR (the loss of VR isn't a real problem with lenses under 100mm IMO, especially given the low noise at high ISO of the D700).

Back