Replacing gas hob - do I need to remove oven too?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Am looking at getting a new hob (gas). Unlike the videos I have seen online, the oven is under the hob (so cant just take out a drawer to access). Am assuming that the oven will need to come out and hob goes in then oven goes back in?

I think you will need to get a GasSafe guy to do this for you as the regs are quite strict these days.
Matt

yeah the oven which I assume is a slide out jobby will need to come out.
is the oven gas or electric?

legally you need to use a gas safe engineer.
depends though how it is connected, I installed mine about 10 years ago and it uses a fine 8 or 10mm copper pipe with some small fittings.
some however are connected with a flexible gas pipe.

Thanks, I know I need to get someone proper in to do it, but was looking at getting both oven and hob done so makes sense to order from same place and get them to do both rather than buy separately. Oven is electric and hob is gas

Thanks, I know I need to get someone proper in to do it, but was looking at getting both oven and hob done so makes sense to order from same place and get them to do both rather than buy separately. Oven is electric and hob is gas

yeah for sure its usually standard size stuff.
I changed our oven last year, but again I installed it donkeys ago and it was only only on a hidden 13amp plug socket behind the units.

I put a new oven in over the weekend.

Gas was a bayonette fitting. Electrics was 3 wires (L, N & E) to be connected with terminal screws - the same as wiring a plug only with thicker wire.

Neesdless to say I saved £100 on a fitter

If it's a like for like bayonet fitting, you don't need a Gas Safe registered fitter.

Oven will have to come out. I have had to remove ovens to find leaks on gas hobs.

Oven will have to come out. I have had to remove ovens to find leaks on gas hobs.

Is there any difference between hobs costing £129 and those costing £349 aside from style. With ovens and most other things there are but a gas hob is just a very simple thing isn't it?

We normally just fit the lamona ones from Howdens, pretty much as good as most and a decent price.

Is there any difference between hobs costing £129 and those costing £349 aside from style. With ovens and most other things there are but a gas hob is just a very simple thing isn't it?

I’d say the same as Gerry. Although I have to use jobs regularly, I believe there is a more quality feel to some of the pricier brands but all do the same job I suppose.

Back