Resizing pics

Name
Jo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello!
I recently burnt a disc of portraits for a colleague ( I took some studio pics for her) and wanted to resize them so only a 10x8 maximum print was possible. That way she'll come to me for her artwork....
I cropped them to 10x8 and they came out at anything from 50-200kb.
She took them to Boots (!) and they said they couldn' print from them as they are 'thumbnails'
What did I do wrong?
I've used this resize programme loads of time with no hassle, I'm not very confident with the dimensions available on resizer, tis all french to me ;)
xxx

Tricky to answer as I'm not sure exactly what you have done. You'll have a job limiting to a 10x8 so she can't get it printed bigger, I can get a fairly decent 10x8 off a passport pic, blowing up a 10x8 would be fairly easy as long as i didn't go silly with it.
What software did you use for resizing and what settings did you put in?
Wayne

I've always used this....

http://www.pictureresize.com/index.php/free-picture-resize-starter.html

There is a link on my resizer main page to this website.... I downloaded it so long ago, have no idea if this is surely where I got it from.
If I resize in PS, each image in turn, would this be more accurate?
I always liked my resizer program as it does them in batches....
It gives a huge choice of settings to resize to, including custom made, so I chose 10"x8"
Hmmmm, help!!
Jo

The processor will want in the region of 100 to 300 dpi (dots per inch), so to print 10 inches wide your image should be 1000 to 3000 pixels wide.

That wouldn't stop anyone printing larger, so provide the prints yourself or watermark the digital images.

Well I checked out the pic properties of the ones I put on disc and they've been resized to 960x760 pixels and 96 dpi.
Could this be the problem? Resized a tiny bit too small?

Yup, that's it. Certainly big enough for screen viewing and OK for a small print, but certainly bigger than thumbnails, and valuable to anyone who wants to incorporate into a webpage. I've had pics less than half that size stolen for the Web and one was used by my Borough Council: they couldn't understand why I was fussing as they had downsized it to 80x60 . . .

Oooh that's so annoying, why does the resizing choice say '10x8' when they won't print the dimensions they resize it to!!?!
Thanks for the info on the dimensions, maybe I'll choose another option, making dpi more accurate........
wish there was an easier way!!!

Your 960 pixels will display as 10-inches on your 96 dpi screen.

Your software should allow you to keep the "10x8" and choose another dpi, and 300 dpi would be more than enough for printing.

S'cuse, but I am seriously dense right now (migraine for 24 hours and counting but have to post this cd and have business meeting tonight ;))
If I chose 300dpi, do I need to kiss goodbye to some fairly hi-res images?
The fallout if I hear she got the artwork elsewhere would be tricky to handle.
This is all proving to be a very good reason why I DON'T do CD's!!!
I'm finding it hard to believe that there isn't a way to limit size of image to just 10x8 print and no more!!

the issue is if you provide a 300dpi image correctly sized for 10x8 which would be 3000x2400 there is nothing to stop them from printing it at 20x16 it will just look more pixelated but not much as 300dpi is good res in the first place, there is no easy way of stopping someone printing it larger, as said before if you want to control that you have to print them yourself. Even if you provided them at 100dpi 10x8 i.e 1000x800 size, they could use software to enlarge them anyway.

Back