*RESOLVED* Please help - Lightroom Classic wont read/import NEF files

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I have, for many years, imported images using Nikon Transfer. In doing so, I rename the files 'XXXX_imagenumber', where XXXX is the camera model (my D500 in this case, so we're talking NEF files). Images are imported to a folder on my main hard drive. I then import those images I wish to develop to the Lightroom catalogue. I followed this process today having taken around 1900 images at my local motor racing circuit.

On this occasion, when trying to import into Lightroom, I am initially presented with with the thumbnail view, but instead of the images I get 'Preview unavailable for this file' on each thumbnail. If I select any and try to import them, I get a message "The file cannot be opened by Lightroom" along with a list of the files that can't be read (doesn't matter if I select 1, or 10, or all to import).

Has anyone come across this before? I'm a bit fed up at the moment as I think all the files have somehow become corrupt.

If nothing else, this has taught me to 'copy' from the SD card, rather than 'move'.

I have, for many years, imported images using Nikon Transfer. In doing so, I rename the files 'XXXX_imagenumber', where XXXX is the camera model (my D500 in this case, so we're talking NEF files). Images are imported to a folder on my main hard drive. I then import those images I wish to develop to the Lightroom catalogue. I followed this process today having taken around 1900 images at my local motor racing circuit.

On this occasion, when trying to import into Lightroom, I am initially presented with with the thumbnail view, but instead of the images I get 'Preview unavailable for this file' on each thumbnail. If I select any and try to import them, I get a message "The file cannot be opened by Lightroom" along with a list of the files that can't be read (doesn't matter if I select 1, or 10, or all to import).

Has anyone come across this before? I'm a bit fed up at the moment as I think all the files have somehow become corrupt.

If nothing else, this has taught me to 'copy' from the SD card, rather than 'move'.
I hope you manage to sort this out.

I never move or delete images from a card until I know they've transferred properly.

I hope you manage to sort this out.

I never move or delete images from a card until I know they've transferred properly.
I've followed this process for maybe 15 years, but today is the lesson I maybe should have been following all that time

I import into LR direct from the card in a card reader. The files stay on the card.

I import into LR direct from the card in a card reader. The files stay on the card.
I suspect that's the way I should have been doing it too, although with 15 years without an issue doing it the way I have been I'm not sure why that would suddenly become a problem.

Well, a few hours have passed since my initial panic, but I now have 1,948 NEF files fully catalogued in Lightroom - phew!

I ran some image recovery software (free 1 year licence with a Sandisk SDXC) on the memory card which found all the jpgs and nef files. Imported, renamed and catalogued in Lightroom instead of Nikon Transfer and everything is now as it should be. Let the sifting and developing commence!

Pleased to hear you got a positive result (y)

I also use Nikon Transfer but have it copy files (rather than move) onto my hard drive and make a second copy on another drive at the same time. Even then I don't delete the images off the SD card until I have imported and developed the images in LRc.

@Bristolian It was an unusual issue in that I've used Nikon Transfer for so many years without a problem. That said, going forwards I'll definitely transfer (copy) and then delete from the card after I've done so (and backed up to a separate drive). Interesting that you also do your LRc develops before deleting from the card too - I hadn't really thought about taking that extra step/precaution.

I've never used a transfer program, I always copy and paste my images to the required folder on my drive, rename them as I want there, then import them into LR (I find LR renaming a bit of a faff); once on the hard drive I delete them from the card, or format, doesn't matter which. Since I got my D850 with its CFexpress card, I also had to buy a reader (perforce) then ended up buying a large SSD as my hard drive couldn't keep up with the transfer speeds of such large files.

I've never used a transfer program, I always copy and paste my images to the required folder on my drive, rename them as I want there, then import them into LR (I find LR renaming a bit of a faff); once on the hard drive I delete them from the card, or format, doesn't matter which. Since I got my D850 with its CFexpress card, I also had to buy a reader (perforce) then ended up buying a large SSD as my hard drive couldn't keep up with the transfer speeds of such large files.
I've always used Nikon's Transfer program. It creates it's own folders according to a format determined the first time you use it (in my case yyyymmdd_nnn where nnn is an incremental number). At the same time it copies the image files into an identically names folder on a second drive so I instantly have a back-up. I don't rename the files from the camera but Transfer could do that as well.

I find this a very fast process with absolutely no input from me except to click on the button to start the whole process off. Time for a coffee!

@Bristolian It was an unusual issue in that I've used Nikon Transfer for so many years without a problem. That said, going forwards I'll definitely transfer (copy) and then delete from the card after I've done so (and backed up to a separate drive). Interesting that you also do your LRc develops before deleting from the card too - I hadn't really thought about taking that extra step/precaution.
I don't import all of the images from a shoot into LRc but use FastRawViewer to cull the dross/copies/missed focus/etc., first and then import what's left.

I've always used Nikon's Transfer program. It creates it's own folders according to a format determined the first time you use it (in my case yyyymmdd_nnn where nnn is an incremental number). At the same time it copies the image files into an identically names folder on a second drive so I instantly have a back-up. I don't rename the files from the camera but Transfer could do that as well.

I find this a very fast process with absolutely no input from me except to click on the button to start the whole process off. Time for a coffee!

Does it only work with Nikon or can you use it for any make? I have an Olympus too. I probably won't change my preferred method but I'll give that a try and never say never.

I think you can do all of that in Lightroom, the only be that I am not sure of is the incremental number at the end of the folder name.

Does it only work with Nikon or can you use it for any make? I have an Olympus too. I probably won't change my preferred method but I'll give that a try and never say never.
Sorry, I don't know about other camera files. Give it a try and see :)

I think you can do all of that in Lightroom, the only be that I am not sure of is the incremental number at the end of the folder name.
Yes, but in my method I don't start off importing all the images on the card or cards (sometimes a couple of thousand) into LRc and then delete the ones I decide I don't want to edit. This import/delete routine can cause issues with bloat in the catalogue according to Lightroom Queen, even if you regularly optimise it. Using FastRawViewer is so quick for culling too.

I'd never heard of that - have you got a link. I have searched, but only found forum posts saying that there is no performance hit from importing then culling.

Back