Restoring a photo

Edit My Images
No
I have this photo of my Uncle Dave, He's the one standing! I have managed to get rid of most of the creases and get a lot of detail back. But, there are LOTS of white spots all over the photo. Is there a quick way of editing these out or do I just need to spend hours cloning each one out. He loves this photo and I would love to be able to make it as good as possible to give it to him. Thank you.

TPDave.jpg

Here's my effort.... Filter>Noise>Median in Ps gets rid of most but there's a few scratches that need cleaned up too..... With more time it could be cleaned up better.... this was a quick 5 mins.

Boxer.jpg

i dont think you can beat hours of work cloning it out very carefully, at the end of the day the image will look miles sharper and clearer

Too much contrast in this last one. Blacks are too black and destroying the shadow detail.

I am going to spend a couple of hours on this at some point today. Will post the results. Thanks for all the help.

There aren't that many spots and it shouldnt take that long really... any attempt to automate it means you will lose some detail.

As said you could spend hours cleaning and cloning every little dust and speck out of the photo, but I think a little noise and gain add something to old photos.

My quick efforts
TPDave.jpg

Rather than spend hours in laborious cloning, use any smear type tool which picks up a colour, and use it to smear out the spots. Set it small - around 3 or 4 pixels and with a fairly low opacity, it's much quicker than cloning.

There's no real quick way to a good job though, it's slow laborious work

James I created the colours on new layers and brushed them in adjusting the opacity to suit. It really was a quick edit.

AJOphotog - how did you get that colour in it? did you just 'colour' it in?

Regards, James

Pick a brush, change the brush blending mode to color and paint it on.

You can also create a new layer and change the layer blending mode to colour and paint it on.

Colour is nicer :)

Back