Returning to photography after a relatively long break

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
So, about 5 years ago I moved from the UK to the Netherlands (my wife is Dutch).

After moving I haven't really pulled out the camera much, so have started thinking that I probably should.

One thing that went missing in various moves which I was gutted about was my 70-200 F2.8L IS MK1.

So with that in mind, I still have most of my kit;
Canon 1D MKII
Canon 5D MK1
24-70 F2.8L
50mm F1.8

Looking around a bit it seems that there have been pretty big advances in terms of mirrorless, and would it be worth considering a refresh of kit?
There's a couple of 70-200 F2.8L IS MK2 lenses in the classifieds I've been looking at, but before I buy something like that, would an overall change make sense?
(I'd also have to buy new batteries as my current ones I don't think will be much use by now anyway)

Hi George, I think mirrorless is the way to go - I shoot Sony mirrorless and prior to that the Sony MOUNT dslr's and its now rumoured that the Sony DSLR's ie A mount are no longer being made or stocked by Sony :(

I'm not saying Canon will go the same way by any means- maybe something worth researching ?

Les :)

A big part of me is thinking you have decent gear so just get out and use the kit you have got, if you do get back into it then think about what kit you will use. That said I understand that buying new gear can be really motivating.

What's wrong with the gear you have? Nowt. Next question. :LOL:

Alternatively...

If you are thinking of 'upgrading' your gear on a regular basis then now might be the time to go mirrorless because it's unlikely new lenses for DSLRs will be coming along, and new DSLR bodies are likely to be sparse in a year or two. If you're not planning on imminent changes buy a used 70-200 and use the gear you've got until it breaks or stops giving you acceptable results.

Of course if you have money to burn chop it all in and buy some shiny new toys.:D

To be honest, the 70-200 was my most used lens before it went missing.

Nothing really wrong with what I have, but the batteries will probably need replacing as well. All these things add up, that's why I am thinking whether it would be a good opportunity to look at options before buying what I had before.

I bought Sony ML kit recently but only to reduce weight. I still have my Canon 5D4 and lenses and will keep them for the foreseeable future. Having lighter weight is now essential for me (back problem) and I would not have changed otherwise. I will still use the Canon in some circumstances (e.g. studio) as it has a number of advantages over the Sony kit, Getting used to a new system is also difficult so I am probably not getting the best out of the Sony yet. The Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS is still my favourite lens so I would buy another if you cannot claim from your insurance. I also have the 24-105mm and a Canon Macro lens.

Do not under estimate the value of using kit that you are comfortable with and use without thinking.

Dave

Back