Beginner Reverse Mounting Adaptor vs. Extension Tubes

Name
Dawn
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have been going through the forum and finding lots of information on using reverse mounting adaptors and extension tubes instead of investing in a macro lens right away. I was so happy to hear there were less expensive options to "get my feet wet" with macro-type photography. For those that have used both methods, is there a preference for one over the other? I have a Canon 70D with kit lens 18-55mm and 55-250mm. Thank you.

reverse lens will get you in REALLY REALLY close, but you have to put your lens on backwards and all the controls are obviously backwards.

Cheap tubes will render most controls such as aperture, useless including autofocus (but i dont use autofocus, i pre focus and lean into position to get focus) but wont get you in so close unless you "physically" get in real close, in which case you could end up scaring the bugs away. (tubes typically come in 3 sections).

If you have £50, you could go for a set of electronic tubes such as the ones I have "polaroid" from amazon, you get all your controls.
If you have about £100 plus a tenner for your reverse ring, you could get a reverse lens adapter so you can get all your controls working on a reversed lens.

£10 for reverse lens or £10 for tubes, if you got £20 burning a hole in your pocket, I'd go and get both as both will get you different results. You can even use them together in combinations to get silly close macros, though I've not tried tubes + reversed lens.

There is a macro thread in the macro section that will explain a lot more http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/we-need-you-in-draft-want-to-get-into-macro.551944/

and I have a small blog here: http://www.cdhpix.co.uk/blog/2014/7/getting-into-macro-photography---on-the-cheap

Hope you do dip your toes - its very addictive and very rewarding :)

Thanks for the information! I really enjoyed your blog and the example photos were lovely (If you can call a bug lovely!). Of course, now I am wondering if I should look at the Raynox DCR-250 instead of the reverse mount or extension tubes?
THe raynox will get you in <so close> tubes will get you in closer and a reversing lens will get you in closer still (if the items I have just mentioned are used separately) - but you can do combos of the items to get even closer.

The raynox is really good, it clips onto most lenses, it should be fine on the 18-55 - not sure about the 55-250 but @Tintin124 can let you know as I think he has tried it (and he's a great macro photographer with all the bits and tries various combinations out) - tubes will go onto any lens setup you have and a reversing ring needs to be purchased at thread size of your particular lenses. i.e. you would probably have to get two reverse rings for the two different lenses you have, but bryn will know better than I.

Raynox is a good start, its cheaper than the £50 polaroids and will give you very nice closeups of flowers, materials, food items and bugs. I'd go with that to be honest, then you'll know if you want to stick at it. Plus you can probably get a good price if you don't like macro when selling it as used. I look forward to seeing your photos! :)

Welcome Dawn.... What type of macro photography do you want to do? What size of subject?

I don't know how competent you are with a camera. so issues here are;

Reversed lens (18-55mm) most likely need a flash setup to cope with the lack of light. But on a bright day set at 55mm and infinity focus probably get some nice shots of some very small flowers and a reversed 55-250 would give you a little larger flowers and more distance from subject. (BTW what it is worth this is my favourite setup). As for reversing rings you can get away with using step up/down rings if you have 2 lenses with close but not the same thread size ... I use 52-58mm as only have the 52mm reverse ring.

Raynox again likely need a flash but if you went for the baby one Raynox 150 then should give yourself a more steady start than throwing you in the deep end.

Tubes (Auto ones) is the easiest option of all as you can start with the small tube first and build up to the full set.

Welcome Dawn.... What type of macro photography do you want to do? What size of subject?

I don't know how competent you are with a camera. so issues here are;

Reversed lens (18-55mm) most likely need a flash setup to cope with the lack of light. But on a bright day set at 55mm and infinity focus probably get some nice shots of some very small flowers and a reversed 55-250 would give you a little larger flowers and more distance from subject. (BTW what it is worth this is my favourite setup). As for reversing rings you can get away with using step up/down rings if you have 2 lenses with close but not the same thread size ... I use 52-58mm as only have the 52mm reverse ring.

Raynox again likely need a flash but if you went for the baby one Raynox 150 then should give yourself a more steady start than throwing you in the deep end.

Tubes (Auto ones) is the easiest option of all as you can start with the small tube first and build up to the full set.

As far as what macro I would like to do, I tend to be drawn to taking photos of flowers, plants, and weeds, with the occasional bug that may cross my path.

As for my competency with a camera, a week ago I was using a point-and-shoot (Canon PowerShot SX 700 HS). I would have told you I felt quite confident in my ability to use the settings (shutter, aperture, ISO) to get the photo I wanted. However, my husband wanted to be a total love and bought me a Canon 70D about 3 days ago. Now, I would say I am very not confident in all my settings or my ability to get the shot I want. Yes, I know there is a learning curve. However, the biggest thing I have noticed is that I can't seem to take the photos I am drawn to with the new DSLR (flowers, plants, weeds). This is why I'm hoping to pick up on of the mentioned pieces of equipment. I can't afford to pick up a dedicated macro lens at this point, but I miss my flowers.

Thank you to everyone for their wonderful information and help. I think I am leaning towards a set of extension tubes at this point.

I bought a £25 set of tubes from Ebay, these do have the contacts for the controls. I use them with a 28-300 Tamron zoom at 300mm and they work fine most of the time. I do find that sometimes I get an error but turning off the camera and turning it back on fixes that.

As far as what macro I would like to do, I tend to be drawn to taking photos of flowers, plants, and weeds, with the occasional bug that may cross my path.

As for my competency with a camera, a week ago I was using a point-and-shoot (Canon PowerShot SX 700 HS). I would have told you I felt quite confident in my ability to use the settings (shutter, aperture, ISO) to get the photo I wanted. However, my husband wanted to be a total love and bought me a Canon 70D about 3 days ago. Now, I would say I am very not confident in all my settings or my ability to get the shot I want. Yes, I know there is a learning curve. However, the biggest thing I have noticed is that I can't seem to take the photos I am drawn to with the new DSLR (flowers, plants, weeds). This is why I'm hoping to pick up on of the mentioned pieces of equipment. I can't afford to pick up a dedicated macro lens at this point, but I miss my flowers.

Thank you to everyone for their wonderful information and help. I think I am leaning towards a set of extension tubes at this point.

Many compacts will focus very close - it's the small size of the sensor that allows lenses to do that more easily. The much larger sensor in your 70D makes this more difficult optically, and you'll also get much less depth of field too, making it a lot more challenging. The reward is better image quality of course :)

Do you fully understand the Exposure Triangle of shutter speed, aperture and ISO? Have a read of this tutorial by our own Pookeyhead http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...ure-theory-but-were-afraid-to-ask-101.440126/ and bone up on depth of field, too.

Flower portraits are more close-up than real macro. Extension tubes are good, but can be a bit of a fiddle. Or the Raynox DCR-150 (DCR-250 is more for bugs and beetles) will work fine on your 55-250 lens - just clips on the front, v easy. You will also get a bit more brightness with the Raynox, helping to keep shutter speeds up which you'll need because of the higher f/numbers you'll be wanting to get sufficient depth of field.

Hi Dawn,

I'm in a similar position.

Recently invested a 600D with the same lenses as yourself.

I personally am leaning down the extension tube route, purely because they are reasonably priced (compared to a dedicated Macro lens) and I don't like the idea of nestling into the undergrowth with a reversed lens.

I will probably get a reversing ring, as this method appears to give outstanding results for a minimal outlay, but I would only use this technique inside, or briefly in the garden, rather than 'in the field'.

Good luck with your decision, be sure to check out youtube for lots of very helpful videos on the subject.

Glad to see more people interested in macros, its great seeing other people's work and how they progress - just have some patience - I gave up a couple of times thinking how the hell am I going to get a good image, but take your time - dont get frustrated and it WILL happen :)

Hi Dawn,

I'm in a similar position.

Recently invested a 600D with the same lenses as yourself.

I personally am leaning down the extension tube route, purely because they are reasonably priced (compared to a dedicated Macro lens) and I don't like the idea of nestling into the undergrowth with a reversed lens.

I will probably get a reversing ring, as this method appears to give outstanding results for a minimal outlay, but I would only use this technique inside, or briefly in the garden, rather than 'in the field'.

Good luck with your decision, be sure to check out youtube for lots of very helpful videos on the subject.

Tubes will mean you have to get closer to bugs than the reversed lens set at 55mm and infinity and infact some tubes you wont be able to use at the 18mm end. Though on 55-250 should be ok.

There were so many choices on Amazon! I ended up ordering the Polaroid Auto Focus DG Macro Extension Tube set. It will be here tomorrow. :)

in the same kind of situation Dawn - just awaiting the correct reversing ring - having inadvertently ordered a Canon one for my Nikon and didn't realise until it landed from China.....my fault but cant wait to give it a try over the weekend. Look forward to seeing some of your new macro pics!

You can also go for a set of close up filters on E-bay.

These are simply screw in filters with a single lens with strengths ranging (usually) from +1 dioptre to +10 with +10 being the strongest and hence allowing you to gt much closer to the subject.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/58mm-Macr...es_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item1e6b35ff65

I have used these myself and you can get very good results for little outlay.

The only thing you must do is make sure you get the right size for your lens.

Also if you don't want to pay out for a macro lens right away then the Canon f1.8 lens coupled with a set of Auto extension tubes can give excellent results:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20926615@N05/sets/72157625276148446/with/5115017936/

And of course the Canon f1.8 (also known as the "Nifty Fifty") is the best value lens Canon make with sharpness rivaling their very expensive L glass lenses.

You can also go for a set of close up filters on E-bay.

These are simply screw in filters with a single lens with strengths ranging (usually) from +1 dioptre to +10 with +10 being the strongest and hence allowing you to gt much closer to the subject.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/58mm-Macr...es_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item1e6b35ff65

I have used these myself and you can get very good results for little outlay.

The only thing you must do is make sure you get the right size for your lens.

Also if you don't want to pay out for a macro lens right away then the Canon f1.8 lens coupled with a set of Auto extension tubes can give excellent results:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20926615@N05/sets/72157625276148446/with/5115017936/

And of course the Canon f1.8 (also known as the "Nifty Fifty") is the best value lens Canon make with sharpness rivaling their very expensive L glass lenses.

Would you like to share your experiences here?

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...t-want-to-get-into-macro.551944/#post-6401726

I ask this as I'm not a fan of the screw in dioptre as you tend to get massive CA issues (not on Canon 500d) especially with cheap ones and even on my B+W +4 I have.

I ask this as I'm not a fan of the screw in dioptre as you tend to get massive CA issues (not on Canon 500d) especially with cheap ones and even on my B+W +4 I have.

I've used these filters (I'll call them that) on the 18-55mm kit lens on a 350D and 450D with quite a bit of success - but while they are quite good on the smaller filter sizes they are no good at all on larger sizes, due, as you say, to CA.

And as soon as I get some time I'll expand on that in your thread.

I've used these filters (I'll call them that) on the 18-55mm kit lens on a 350D and 450D with quite a bit of success - but while they are quite good on the smaller filter sizes they are no good at all on larger sizes, due, as you say, to CA.

And as soon as I get some time I'll expand on that in your thread.

It would be massively appreciated. I want the thread to be generic and not just my take on macro.

So, I have my new extension tubes and have playing around with them a bit. I have an odd issue popping up and was wondering if it is common or if I should be concerned. I was changing out the tubes, and when I went to turn the camera on again (Canon 70D) it would not turn on. I changed out the battery, and it turned on right away and had no other issues. It also happened when I was going to stack two of the tubes. I was using the camera and 31mm extension, thought I would try adding the 13mm, but when I went to turn the camera back on, it was a no go. Once again, I changed the battery, and it came on. (These two instances were a day apart.) The first time it happened I thought perhaps I hadn't been paying attention to the battery charge, and it simply died. However, after I got home today, I put the original battery back in the camera and it came on. The reading said the battery was still at 75%. The tubes are Polaroid Auto Focus. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

So, I have my new extension tubes and have playing around with them a bit. I have an odd issue popping up and was wondering if it is common or if I should be concerned. I was changing out the tubes, and when I went to turn the camera on again (Canon 70D) it would not turn on. I changed out the battery, and it turned on right away and had no other issues. It also happened when I was going to stack two of the tubes. I was using the camera and 31mm extension, thought I would try adding the 13mm, but when I went to turn the camera back on, it was a no go. Once again, I changed the battery, and it came on. (These two instances were a day apart.) The first time it happened I thought perhaps I hadn't been paying attention to the battery charge, and it simply died. However, after I got home today, I put the original battery back in the camera and it came on. The reading said the battery was still at 75%. The tubes are Polaroid Auto Focus. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Could be just one of those quirky things. I don't know if this will work, but it might - saves the camera from getting too confused.

Always attach the tubes to the lens first, and then the combo to the camera. Or if that's not convenient, when you've got the right combination of tubes together and fitted to the camera, just undo the lens release catch on the camera and take the combo off - just far enough to break the electrical connection, like 1mm - then put back on.

Always attach the tubes to the lens first, and then the combo to the camera. Or if that's not convenient, when you've got the right combination of tubes together and fitted to the camera, just undo the lens release catch on the camera and take the combo off - just far enough to break the electrical connection, like 1mm - then put back on.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely try this!

Back