Review Review-Canon TC-80N3 Timer Remote Controller

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
When I got the 20D one of the first accessories I looked at was the standard cable release, but became infatuated with the more expensive TC-80N3 Timer Remote Controller, which apart from being a lockable cable release also enables multiple exposures for time lapse photography etc. I probably couldn't have justified the purchase much as I liked the idea but in the event No2 Son treated me to one.

canon_tc80n3.jpg

It's a substantially made bit of kit which fits nicely in the hand and takes an easily obtainable button type battery which powers the LCD screen and automatic functions. I was pleasantly surprised to find it's not dependant on battery power for it's basic function as a lockable cable release, so there's no danger of being without a basic release for the sake of a discharged battery.

The lead plugs very positively into a socket on the left side of the camera under the rubber cover and is a 3 pin socket which only goes in one way. In operation you scroll through the mode screens by means of a button and enable number of exposures (Max 99) interval between shots (Max 100 hours) Delayed Timer (If required)( Max 99 hours) and long exposure times if outside of the cameras Auto capability.There's a backlight button to view the screen in poor light. If taking multiple shots you have to ensure the camera is set in 'Continuous' mode. Once set up, you simply press a button marked 'Start' (You can stop it on the same button) and it takes the number of shots as programmed. To quickly reset all values to '0' you do a sort of 3 knuckle shuffle on three buttons. The basic release function is a nice large button for shutter release which slides forward to lock the shutter open for longer exposures.

I'm very pleased with it. As to whether it's worth the cost difference obviously depends on whether you'll use the extra functions. So far I've used it to take some pics of my wife for a works magazine. She's a nightmare subject being a fidgeter and a giggler, so I just set the camera on a tripod and programmed 50 exposures at 10 second intervals and left her alone to do her own thing. We actually got a few shots she liked.

It fits quite a few Canon cameras so just check compatibility with your own.

Mmmm... another interesting gadget. :) Must resist! Available for £71 inc. postage on eBay

I bought one of these baby's and I love it,expesive though.

Looks like a top bit of kit. If you can justify the expense.
I got a £6 cable release from ebay. No timer. Just the wife and an egg timer.

i have wanted one of these for AGES but could not justify the cost and not sure if its worth it still....

Shane

Back