Rewound new film fully into cassette

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday I decided to move the 135 film I just loaded into a different camera, but instead of leaving a leader I foolishly fully rewound it into the cassette.
I immediately realized my mistake, but of course it was too late and I ended up with a perfectly good but absolutely useless roll of acros 100

Is there any way to fix this? If I open it in darkness and try to push the leader back out and then reseal the cassette, will it work?

Last edited:
You could get a film leader retriever and try that? I've also heard of people putting a piece of tape in through the cassette slot so that it sticks to the film, and then pulling it back out of the opening, but I've not tried it.

You could get a film leader retriever and try that? I've also heard of people putting a piece of tape in through the cassette slot so that it sticks to the film, and then pulling it back out of the opening, but I've not tried it.

That's exactly what I need! That you!

Just pop the end off the cassette with a bottle opener and retrieve the leader. I used to reload cassettes like this when I was a kid, but you'll need a changing bag or a completely dark place.

I've had two leader retrievers; the first one didn't work (and indeed destroyed itself). The second one is a Film Picker 7 (matin.co.kr) and has never failed me. I had previously tried various approaches with sticky tape, pieces of exposed film made moist etc, without success.

Well you might as well get a film retriever as they are always handy....I picked up a Jessops on the bay for £3, and looks like another one going cheap (£3.70 inc postage, well if the bids stay low) although it's nothing like mine but assume it does the job.

Easiest way is to pop then end off the cassette and just pull the film then once you have the leader sorted pop the end back on.
Important point, sit in the blacked out room your using for a good 10 mins before you open the cassette, you'd be supprised how a dark room lightens up with light creeping in, but it takes your eyes time to ajust, that way you can make sure it's really dark. Also make sure your phone isn't in the room. A bright phone screen will light up the room nicely, and you can bet thats the time you'll get a call.

Almost all modern commercially loaded cassettes will NOT allow you to replace the end if you 'pop it off' If in a hurry a 5 to six frame length of waste film will let you get it out.. Damp (or lick if you must) a couple of inch section of the emulsion side (that will feel tacky) - rewind film in cassette even futher and listen carefully, there will be a tiny click at one point. Find that point and stop rewinding. Feed the tacky end of the film into the cassette - if you have the winding stub facing you have the tack side uppermost - that will put emulsion to emulsion for better tack. Push about 3 inches in - now turn winder in opposite direction to rewinding (clockwise) - it should feel as if it jams up. now slowly pull out your length of film - with luck the leader will come too - if not try again

Last edited:
:agree: I used this a while ago and it worked really well.

You need a leader retrieval gubbins, beware though that it's possible to wind it the wrong way and buckle the film.
Don't do that.

Also when a film retriever is handy for me is:- Most times would use the same film in different cameras to give them a workout and to refresh my memory on the more complicated ones o_O Well no problem unless you are using a camera with battery rewind and no rewind knob. :eek:

Also when a film retriever is handy for me is:- Most times would use the same film in different cameras to give them a workout and to refresh my memory on the more complicated ones o_O Well no problem unless you are using a camera with battery rewind and no rewind knob. :eek:
There's quite often a custom function setting on the later motor driven SLRs that gives an option to leave the film leader out when rewinding. (y)

I did it yesterday with a piece of thin acetate film. Worked as a charm :D

Thank you everyone

Reactions: Nod
I did it yesterday with a piece of thin acetate film. Worked as a charm :D

Thank you everyone

Well done, never managed to make that work!

There's quite often a custom function setting on the later motor driven SLRs that gives an option to leave the film leader out when rewinding. (y)

Well nothing for the Canon T70, the T90 can be set with a mod by a bit of soldering, dunno about the Nikon F90x, Canon EOS 300 or Chinon CP-7M... there might be a trick of releasing the re-wind button at the moment you think the film is just about to go into the cassette and someone suggested removing the batteries o_O but I don't mind using the film retriever, well as long as I can hear the click wearing my hearing aid :rolleyes:

Back