Richard Hammond's Jungle Quest

Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone see his attempts at being a wildlife photographer. Only watch about 15 mins but looks funny but at the same time informative.

On Sky 1 catch up now as it was on Wednesday.

I thought it was great. At no point did he even try to claim he knew what he was doing which made it even more entertaining when he proved it lol

I can't wait for the next episode. Well worth a watch.

No miss it,but could think of a few so called celeb I would like to sent to say Syria to attempt to be an war photographer :rolleyes:

didn't realise the hamster is attempting photography!

I think it'll be really entertaining - off to hunt for it on sky, thanks for the heads-up!

I'll have to look out for it

Excellent first episode, the hamster's was on top form and very entertaining :)

See this last night on catch-up. It was really good! Would like to see more of this kind of thing although I'm not sure how much it will appeal to the non photographer public. I think it was done to signify the end of rainforest rescue which finished this month.

I watched this last night with some trepidation - I was expecting him to waltz into the Amazon and immediately start taking superb photo's.

However, I was very pleasantly surprised - whilst he had an experienced local guide, he appeared to be left to pretty much his own devices, and struggled to take decent pictures, and acknowledged (repeatedly) that it was much, much harder to take a decent wildlife shot than he had anticipated. I was surprised that the pictures of the river dolphin came out as well as they did given the lack of light (overcast rainy ray, taken through very tannin-rich (looked like strong milk-less tea!) water. Maybe he did receive some off-camera advice on settings?

Maybe he did receive some off-camera advice on settings?
I imagine there is a huge dollop of 'bumbling idiot i don't know what i'm doing' purely for entertainment value, not that i mind though :). I guess he'll know his way around the camera but like many there is a difference from knowing your way around a tool and actually using it to create something.

From what i understood from it was that he knew his way round a camera because he took photos as a child up to his teenage years and i'm sure he said that he still takes photos but just for fun(family, kids etc). I just think that this has dropped him in at the deep end and has made him realise like it does to most of us that it looks easy but isn't.

I think that the reaction his crew make to his photos are pretty genuine. Hammond even said at one point "All the gear and no idea"

On several Top Gear road trip specials you see him carrying a Canon DSLR around so he's clearly into his photography.

On several Top Gear road trip specials you see him carrying a Canon DSLR around so he's clearly into his photography.

I think it goes back to his journalism days.

I read the book he wrote after his dragster accident and he makes reference to having his Billingham photo bag with him in the hospital - although I don't think it had a camera in it at the time.

Steve.

It's quite well known that Hammond is into his photography!

Gonna find this and have a watch

Yeah, he always has his billingham bag with him, even when he went into Mexico that time

I enjoyed it. The bit where he mentions photography is exhausting, I'm glad it's not just me haha

On NOW 7pm (saturday 19/9)

My favourite quote from it when he was showing the pro togs the pictures " I spent all day taking pictures and got 1 of a monkey " :D
Don't we all know that feeling;)

I quite enjoyed it, possibly because I saw so many of my shortcomings as a photographer in him! takes a while to get my eye in spotting things, especially if they're keeping still and then I often start snapping away with little thought as to composition etc. One thing I don't tend to do is keep chimping. I'll take a couple of test shots then check the exposures, lob in some EC if necessary then just shoot. Experience has taught me that while the rear screen's showing me what I almost got right, something interesting happens that I miss!
Looking forward to seeing part 2 next week.

I watched this last night on NowTV catchup very good and entertaining, he seemed very humble and at the same time funny, I did like the bit where he climbed those trees and must admit was expecting him to fall off and into the Amazon ! The scene with the pro togs reviewing his images was highly amusing, I will be watching the rest with interest :)

Just watched the first episode, as others have said very entertaining and looking forward to the next one.

Just watched the first episode too. Very interesting as we're going to the Amazon in February, although not the same part. Still hope to see some interesting wildlife. Not expecting to get any great photos but the experience will hopefully be amazing.

I liked it. He didn't take himself too seriously and as previously said I did chuckle when he left his lens cap on and I'm always saying to my wife, "I've got the wrong bloody lens on again!" :)

Cheers.

I enjoyed this. Much better than I expected.

Hammond in the Amazon, soon to be on Amazon :)

Sorry....

I'm not sure what model 5d he's using but mine isn't anywhere near as noisy.
If it's a 5d I should imagine it's the mk3 as it would have been a new camera obtained trough the budget.

Remember though, his lapel mic (or even a boom mic if they had the space to use one) would amplify the noise in the sound mix.

I saw this last night. It's a good programme... but do we really need a shutter sound effect every time a picture is shown?

Remember though, his lapel mic (or even a boom mic if they had the space to use one) would amplify the noise in the sound mix.

A lapel mic could if it's closer to the camera than his mouth. A boom mic will be far enough away that it will pick up voice and camera noise in the same ratio as delivered.

Steve.

Last edited:
Back