Richmond Park Deer

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Sunday morning in Richmond Park, after shooting sunrise I switched to deer. For those who saw / commented on my thread for locations, here are the results.

Taken in the areas east / SE of Pen Ponds, either side of Spankers Hill wood.

I enjoyed the golden light, as the sun was still quite low and the mist was very heavy and hung around for quite some time, but I also tried a couple of alternative B&W processing. I'd be interested to hear views on colour vs B&W.

Constructive C&C welcome!

Thanks

Alan

IMG_3375
by alan72 on Talk Photography

IMG_3370

IMG_3370-Edit

IMG_3381

IMG_3381-Edit

IMG_3477

IMG_3458

IMG_3392

My fav: #1, #7 (irresistible)

…so close to the city?

6 and 8 are the standouts for me, especially like the juxtaposition of the beast with the city.

Not overly keen on the b&w as you lose the gorgeous light although they do change the atmosphere of the shots to rather desolate.

The other thing I would say is that IMO you've posted a few too many photos and it is good practice to curate your images and present only the best. For example the first three are very similar so you don't need to show them all and personally I wouldn't have shown the b&w shots but if I did it only needs to be one of them and I'd probably have put it at the end so it didn't interrupt what is a rather lovely set.

My fav: #1, #7 (irresistible)

…so close to the city?

6 and 8 are the standouts for me, especially like the juxtaposition of the beast with the city.

Not overly keen on the b&w as you lose the gorgeous light although they do change the atmosphere of the shots to rather desolate.

The other thing I would say is that IMO you've posted a few too many photos and it is good practice to curate your images and present only the best. For example the first three are very similar so you don't need to show them all and personally I wouldn't have shown the b&w shots but if I did it only needs to be one of them and I'd probably have put it at the end so it didn't interrupt what is a rather lovely set.

Thanks Kodiak.

Thanks ned, fair comment about the number of shots. I posted the B&W as I'm genuinely interested in critique of this processing vs the traditional golden light shots, I like the desolation and texture that comes out in the processing. But agree, the first few are too similar and should have been culled a bit more;). Glad you liked the set though!

Last edited:
nice work, love going down to RP to capture these types of shots!

All very attractive,of 1 and 2, I prefer the slightly deeper colour of tne two and the birds are closer. Number 6 seems surreal..so near to the apartment blocks . Love the next one..people seem to be able to get quite close to them in the Park,amazing. The last one is very nice..Ma,Pa and little 'un :)

Fantastic images (y) Love seeing the birds in them, all very atmospheric.
I was up there early on Sunday too, light was fantastic and the mist coming down, lots of roaring but not much actual fighting
planning to go back soon if the weather holds

Superb set Alan, although I feel the mono's have lost the that beautiful soft atmosphere,-- No 6 is exceptional,

Geoff

8 is my favourite, especially when you are scroling down revealing the whole image and the deers

8 is a stunner.

nice work, love going down to RP to capture these types of shots!

All very attractive,of 1 and 2, I prefer the slightly deeper colour of tne two and the birds are closer. Number 6 seems surreal..so near to the apartment blocks . Love the next one..people seem to be able to get quite close to them in the Park,amazing. The last one is very nice..Ma,Pa and little 'un :)

Fantastic images (y) Love seeing the birds in them, all very atmospheric.
I was up there early on Sunday too, light was fantastic and the mist coming down, lots of roaring but not much actual fighting
planning to go back soon if the weather holds

Some nice images - number 6 is great, the deer bellowing with the city backdrop.

Great shots!

Superb set Alan, although I feel the mono's have lost the that beautiful soft atmosphere,-- No 6 is exceptional,

Geoff

Number 6 is amazing - wonderful to see how close the deer are to the city backdrop. Quite eye opening!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!! I love this time of year and we're very lucky to be so close to these great animals.

Liking the urban backdrop to 6 too. A very different shot to rutting season.

Back