Richmond park rut

Name
chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Just a quick question, has the rut started yet?
If not what starts it off, weather, dates ?

Fallows normally start later then the reds too (y)
All should be kicking off in the next few weeks and go on well into November

markyboy.1967 said:
Usually starts in the next week/2 weeks and goes until mid October or a bit later in some areas.hopefully this year I will be safer and not need to dive over any fences.

What happened??

I sore sumwhere that autumwatch will be there this year,anyone else heard about this ?

I went to Richmond in march and we could get within 15-20 foot away from the dear without them even twitching.
I don't want to spook or upset the stags so how would you guys suggest going about taking photos this time of the year?.

I'll be on my own,I'll be using a 120-400mm lens on a cropped sensor and if it helps I do have camo gear from out my fishing bag?.

I went to Richmond on Monday: Things are still quiet, just the odd bit of play sparing from some of the younger stags. Equipment wise you will be fine - I used everything from a 17mm to a 600mm and most of the time the long lens was way too long ...
The deer are used to people and will either tolerate you or not: They don't speak English so don't bother trying to "persuade" them to pose for you. If they don't seem in any way happy with your company leave them alone and find another one - there are hundreds to choose from!

What happened??

I sore sumwhere that autumwatch will be there this year,anyone else heard about this ?

I went to Richmond in march and we could get within 15-20 foot away from the dear without them even twitching.
I don't want to spook or upset the stags so how would you guys suggest going about taking photos this time of the year?.

I'll be on my own,I'll be using a 120-400mm lens on a cropped sensor and if it helps I do have camo gear from out my fishing bag?.

Was photographing some hinds in north Uist last year ( at a distance )when the Stag was alerted to me being there, had to ditch the gear and dive over a fence...These deer seldom get bothere with people like in parks etc so he was only trying to defend his herd...Back again to Uist in 3 weeks but i have been taking sprinting lessons leading up to this so should be ok..(y)

Just looked Ag the dates on last year. Lots of action on the 24th SEP for reds. The following week noting just the odd below. The week after fallows in large groups with two stags in full below with some action.

I may have been unlucky but last year seamed very sort for reds. Could be due to two main dominant males already getting there hinds.

Of down during the week weather dependant.

I mainly used my 500mm but I do carry both 70-200 and 300 just incase. Your best not get to close.

They are unpreditable and some people get to close and get into trouble. Last year a woman got thrown into the lake at bushy for getting far to close and in the way. So I was told by two different fishermen.

I keep a escape route and use trees for protection. Always plan your shots and remember they are still wild.

Very sound words by Martin "I keep a escape route and use trees for protection. Always plan your shots and remember they are still wild."

Things are still quiet at Cannock Chase at the moment with the Fallow deer, I would expect another couple of weeks before rutting starts from my experience there.

anyone been to richmond this weekend ?
i`m going next weekend :banana:

Heard today that the stags have been bellowing nicely in Richmond park over the last week. I'm off there on Saturday so just hope we have a cold Friday night with a little frost followed by a crisp fresh Saturday morning.

Di

Tomorrow (Thursday 4th) looking the best day in the near future. I use the weather forecast here, it is as good as any other

Stephen

Di Stone said:
Heard today that the stags have been bellowing nicely in Richmond park over the last week. I'm off there on Saturday so just hope we have a cold Friday night with a little frost followed by a crisp fresh Saturday morning.

Di

That's good,hope the weather holds out

The rut's picking up a bit in Richmond Park, although most of the activity has been among the younger males who have yet to acquire any hinds. There's a big, dominant male with a harem of about 20 hinds who seems to spend much of his time in the open area between the Ham Cross and Pond Plantations. None of the other stags have gathered the pluck to take him on yet!

I expect it'll really start to pick up the next few days.

Thank you for letting us know what's happening :)

Back