Right then... the best 70-300mm?

Betty

BrideZilla!!!
Edit My Images
No
Ive decided this is certainly the way to go when it comes to my event togging. My question is, and please bear with me for being a complete noobette, which make should I go for?

I am seeing the Canon lens for about £300.00, but the same spec lens by Sigma for half the price. Am I right in thinking a Sigma lens will actually fit my 400D? And if the price is much lower, does this in turn mean the quailty be reduced?

Anything else I should be considering? Thanks everyone :)

The Canon 70-300 IS is better quality and has image stabilisation. This makes it far superior than the Sigma IMO and is a cracking lens :)

The focusing on the Sigma is also slow and loud, which annoys me greatly :bang:

Re the Sigma, not necessarily but their quality control is very hit and miss IMO..

Another thing to look for is whether the Sigma maximum aperture is slower than the Canon ie. f4 would be more favourable than f5.6, reason being that f4 will let in more light to your cameras sensor, therefore shutter speed will be faster without compromising too much on ISO. Quite often on their zooms, it is.

Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs, not sure what your level of knowledge is.

As a general rule of thumb, I always try and stick with lens made by the camera manufacturer.

Hope this helps in some way(y)

Thanks for the info so far guys, if you're telling me the quality and speed and everything is superior on the Canon, and it means me forking out another £150, then so be it :)

If you've got a budget around £300 I would suggest saving a little more and get the 70-200 f/4 or perhaps look at the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. Dunno how much that is.

Thanks for the info so far guys, if you're telling me the quality and speed and everything is superior on the Canon, and it means me forking out another £150, then so be it :)

Well, having looked further, both lenses are 70-300mm f4-5.6, so the maximum aperture at the 300mm end will be 5.6. Not too bad, have seen good results with the Canon but not with the Sigma and as I say, the Sigmas are very hit and miss.

As has been pointed out, the Canon also has IS, so would imagine this would take up most of the extra cost of this lens.

As for the Sigmas, they will work on the 400D without any probs. You pays yer money :woot:

PS. I've never owned either lens, but looking at sample images, the Canon seems to be a little soft at the 300mm end. Neither are up to 'L' series standard, hence the price of both...

Pete, Ive been offered a 70-200mm F4 for £240 :)

And £300 is about the furthest I can stretch, so cant really go over. I dont mind looking at Sigma lenses, but not if the quailty is going to be so hit and miss :(

Get the 70-200 f/4. It will be better than the 70-300 even with IS.

Get the 70-200 f/4. It will be better than the 70-300 even with IS.

It's a nice lens, and if you can afford perhaps a used Canon 1.4 extender, you'll get a 420mm f5.6 lens and still get nice pretty sharp images at all ranges..

I had this combo and was impressed, considering the price of the lens:woot: But if the 70-300 rang really is your choice, then IMHO it would be the Canon

If you've been offered the 70-200 f4 at £240, then at the very worst, a brand new 1.4x extender will cost £180 from Kerso, so £420 tops if your budget has any elastic in it :LOL:

agreed on the 70-200 f/4 i have used one and was amazed how sharp it is. with a 1.4 i'm sure its more than acceptable. It will be a 280mm f5.6 though!

If you're telling me a 70-200mm is better quality than the 70-300mm, I will pay attention :)

Markta, I am not so fussed about the extender at the moment, but thanks for thinking of other options for me :)

The Sigma 70-200 F2.8 shouldn't cost much more and the F2.8 could be nice.
I have the Sigma 70-300 APO DG macro and for the money, it's not a bad lens, but if you have the money, the Canon could be a bit better.
I've written a short review here:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=48519

If you're telling me a 70-200mm is better quality than the 70-300mm, I will pay attention :)

Markta, I am not so fussed about the extender at the moment, but thanks for thinking of other options for me :)

The 70-200 is L glass and thus better than non L glass. People say its just a marketing thing but it really does make things easy. Pick focal range, buy L glass and off you go. You know its sharp, fast focusing and will do a good job.

I'm sure you'll be disappointed with the 70-300 after using the 70-200/4.

The IQ of the 70-200 with a T/C will not be a world better than the 70-300 but the benefit you'll have are on the occasions when you don't need the T/C.

Bob

go on Betty you know you want the 70-200/4 if not point me in the direction of the guy selling it please!

I'm sure you'll be disappointed with the 70-300 after using the 70-200/4.

The IQ of the 70-200 with a T/C will not be a world better than the 70-300 but the benefit you'll have are on the occasions when you don't need the T/C.

Bob

Agreed, not a massive difference, but definately better than a 70-300.

Was very impressed with my 70-200 and 1.4 extender when I had it. Took pictures of birds etc. with camera set to "faithful", so no in camera sharpening etc. Everything set to 0,0,0,0 and pleased with the results..

go on Betty you know you want the 70-200/4 if not point me in the direction of the guy selling it please!

Haha, its the post before yours :LOL: But Ive decided to send it back as Mr Canon Bob has a better use for it :)

In case you were wondering Bob, I havent forgotten about you ;) I just cant believe my sodding luck, I decide to send it back, then I realise not only do I really want to keep it, I can afford it as well, typical :D

In case you were wondering Bob, I havent forgotten about you ;) I just cant believe my sodding luck, I decide to send it back, then I realise not only do I really want to keep it, I can afford it as well, typical :D

I'll stick to my promise...as always.

Bob

The 70-300 IS does actually have L glass in it (one ** element). It's incredibly sharp, even wide open. I'd definitely recommend it if you want the IS, but the 70-200/4 in famous for being an extremely good lens.

Back