Critique Road to Wray

Conditions look super - good work getting out and about. Decent landscape images in the warmth indoors are hard to come by. Here's some critique for you which I hope you'll find useful.

#1: Not an awful lot going on here. The tree is a bit overpowering. You've got some lovely light along the top of the hedge on the left, I wonder if you could have used that more effectively. It looks like you have an exposure lightening halo around the tree but it could just be lighter cloud.

#2: This is very nice indeed and the best of the set. The wall is a clear interest point that brings you into the image. The little bridge/fence is lovely. Light is super. A "calendar" style shot. The contrails are the only downside. I think you could have stayed in this little area for a while and explored lots of different compositions as there's so much subject matter there.

#3: Nice light, nice curvy road, but a bit boring. Again, nice light on the hedges. Could you have got above them somehow and had a higher vantage point and used the hedge lines more effectively.

#4: You're getting some excellent light here. The trick is to combine it with a stonking composition with a definite subject or point of interest. This shot is lacking the latter unfortunately. Comparing it to #2 I think you can see what I mean. There's a lovely textured wall there and a nice gate which you might have been able to use. Otherwise it's a very nice view, and nothing wrong with that at all.

Thanks for the feedback , just what i was looking for . I would have loved to have stayed longer for 1and 3 but we were being chased up the road by the jeep ( in no 3 ) and there was no passing point . It was a case of jump out , pic , drive on :)
The exposure halo you refer to , what causes that then ?
Once again thanks for taking the time to reply . In terms of exposures and processing then any tips ? I have been back at photography properly about 5 months , so finding my way around composition .
Cheers

That exposure halo is probably just lighter clouds behind the tree. Often people will try and lighten an area in post-production but do so a bit too harshly and they end up lightening the area around it as well leading to a sort of halo effect.

It looks to me like you are getting your technical details right, just focus on composition now and getting simplicity of shape into your images. Have a look at David Ward's images for some inspiration: http://www.into-the-light.com/.

Back