Rollei 35, HP5, 365 for 2017

Jao

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
Rollei 35, HP5, 365challenge started yesterday.

One frame of HP5, taken every day, for the next year on this little Rollei that I will carry with me everywhere in 2017

Images to follow, one roll (month) at a time! Excuse the electric picture selfie to start this thread

31675584810_6d34ba6f67_b.jpg

That's a great combo for a 365 challenge. I'm tempted to join you with my M2 + Nokton 40mm + Tri-X.

J, please do. Your Leica Voigtlander rig would have exactly the same field of view as my humble 50 year old little Rollei!

J, please do. Your Leica Voigtlander rig would have exactly the same field of view as my humble 50 year old little Rollei!

Okay, I'm up for it :)

...so I'd better go and shoot something...would be embarrassing to fail on the second day!

I'd considered a film only 365 this year (albeit not limited to a single camera), but having just finished a 366 project last year decided I wanted a bit of a rest. I was going to allow myself the leeway of not having to shoot each picture on each day had I gone ahead. This would have allowed some leeway to not be forced to find a shot on days where I had no time or inspiration (the biggest bugbear of last year's one-a-day for me), but also due to fear of some sort of film disaster kicking the project into the long grass.

Good luck with it though! I look forward to seeing the results. :)

Well, my 365 using a Rollei 35 and Ilford HP5 has proved more of a challenge than I thought, but I have managed to make an image a day with the Rollei since the start of 2017. The biggest issue in January was being too busy in the day and running out of light!

Then I managed to mess up the film with spent fixer, undeterred I put it back in the tank, rinsed it, mixed up a new batch and re fixed the neg.. Not my finest processing, but the images were all recovered.

Anyway the first 31 days can be found here:

https://rollei35hp5365for2017.wordpress.com

Fantastic shots in the first month, Jao, I look forward to seeing more go up each month. (y)

Reactions: Jao
Fantastic shots in the first month, Jao, I look forward to seeing more go up each month. (y)

Thanks Dean, they are a bit random, but they do track my month!

I think the random nature is part of the attraction for a 365. It's more natural than a planned shoot would be, if that makes sense. Couple of years ago I did a one camera, one lens, one film project and after the initial enjoyment wore off, I found I was struggling for inspiration and it tailed off. I think that if I'd taken the approach of one shot per day, doesn't matter what of but as long as look for a good picture and stick with it, I'd have enjoyed the project a lot more. As it was, it became almost a chore, though I did learn a lot about exposure by removing the variables in equipment.

It's been so long since I picked up a camera with proper intent though that I should probably do something like that again to remember what I learned!

Those are nice. One piece of advice I'd offer, is that if you see something (or have an idea) that would make a nice shot and you don't have your camera, make a mental (or written note) of it as it'll be useful to turn to on days where you're feeling uninspired or are stuck for ideas. Similarly if you see useful subjects you can collect on your travels, grab 'em while you can - I had a bag of snail-shells, pine cones, dried cowslips, teazel heads and other stuff that made for useful still-life subject matter on rainy or uninspired days days during the 366 I did last year.

I'm looking forward to seeing each month's photos emerge. (y)

Last edited:
Those are nice. One piece of advice I'd offer, is that if you see something (or have an idea) that would make a nice shot and you don't have your camera, make a mental (or written note) of it as it'll be useful to turn to on days where you're feeling uninspired or are stuck for ideas. Similarly if you see useful subjects you can collect on your travels, grab 'em while you can - I had a bag of snail-shells, pine cones, dried cowslips, teazel heads and other stuff that made for useful still-life subject matter on rainy or uninspired days days during the 366 I did last year.

I'm looking forward to seeing each month's photos emerge. (y)

Thanks Nige. It has proved to be harder than I perhaps naively imagined. Some days I can get a shot easily, other days, mainly due to time, it was a struggle. I now keep a small tripod and cable release in the hallway for the days where I am time poor and busy at work. The shots of my desk at home and images of the kitchen table are say more about a busy day than anything else.

Some good advice in your post about collecting places and ideas as I go. Also the objects for a still life is something I had't thought about, so again really helpful advice.

Great idea, I have a Rollei 35 LED I could use, though it probably has Agfa Vista in it. I would probably use XP2 just because I can get it developed at Asda. Another idea might be to use my Olympus XA.

Wasn't Rollei 35mm cameras known to be unreliable...something in the back of my mind I picked up over umpteen years :grumpy:

Great idea, I have a Rollei 35 LED I could use, though it probably has Agfa Vista in it. I would probably use XP2 just because I can get it developed at Asda. Another idea might be to use my Olympus XA.

Steve, go for it. In essence it will be the lions share of 10 rolls of 36 exp. across the year. I think the camera is less relevant, I just chose the Rollei because I like it.

Wasn't Rollei 35mm cameras known to be unreliable...something in the back of my mind I picked up over umpteen years :grumpy:

Brian, the Rollei 35 is certainly quirky and needs some rules about closing the lens up to be followed religiously. The shutter must be cocked before closing the lens. Early models needed the shutter release spring replacing, but this was an issue resolved quickly. A few "don't read manuals' types I am sure 'borked' their cameras by trying to close the lens with out cocking the shutter. I love Rollei cameras and am somewhat biased. My collection of TLRs, most of which are more than half a century old are probably the most reliable cameras I own, more like watch technology than cameras. I think the electronic shutters in some of the 35mm SLRs were a bit iffy, but the mechanical shutters in these small Rolleis are good if handled properly.

Last edited:
My XA has a slight edge on aperture and has a rangefinder, I just need to get round to getting another roll of XP2 now.

I took my first photo yesterday at around 12:30 and decided to set my phone alarm for 12:00 each day to remind me. Today I was just getting off a bus as the alarm went off. I'm allowing myself until 12:30 just in case I don't step off the bus in front of an historical landmark next time.

Great approach to remind you, look forward to seeing the project roll out

Back