Rollei Rock Solid tripod range

Without knowing your needs/equipment, it is impossible to say.

If you are using lightweight gear, it may be fine, but if you want to mount an expensive body and large lens, then forget it!

Without knowing your needs/equipment, it is impossible to say.

If you are using lightweight gear, it may be fine, but if you want to mount an expensive body and large lens, then forget it!

why forget it? It’s rated to 25kg, big tripod not a small travel one for reference.

my kit is about 3kg but I want something very sturdy

But you still don't say what equipment you use?

At 3kg, it should be fine, but I would not want to mount my D500 and 600f4 on it!

That's why I say "Without knowing your needs/equipment, it is impossible to say"

But you still don't say what equipment you use?

At 3kg, it should be fine, but I would not want to mount my D500 and 600f4 on it!

That's why I say "Without knowing your needs/equipment, it is impossible to say"

Sony A7Riii and 70-300 would probably be the most that’ll go on it.

I’m definitely in two minds though, seems to get good reviews but barely any from the UK.

Looks like a Dolica rebrand... if it suits your needs then use it; you almost certainly would not be better off with a Manfrotto 055.

Weight ratings are near useless unless you know the brand well. I.e. a 4 series Gitzo or RRS tripod rated for 55lbs will hold an adult without breaking... it's a "useful load" rating. Whereas the Dolica rated at about the same probably means that if you put that much weight on it you will have nothing but a pile of broken parts left. And a Manfrotto 055CX costs more and is rated for about 1/2 the weight (20lbs), which probably means it's actually useful for up to about 1/2 of that (10lbs).

Last edited:
I have experience with rollei tripod and won't touch them again with barge pole. First bit to fail will be the head column, particularly if you try to attach a bigger, heavier head. Mine lasted 10 minutes. Secondly, all leg inserts will start failing and jamming. It's utter rubbish. Warranty is rubbish too.

I opted to get Manfrotto 055 with special offer which is now gone. I know it will last 2-3 years without issues and then it might go same way like all my 190s, ie. Mg bits becoming dust and falling apart. Thing is this effectively cost me £65 so it's not a big deal to replace. For £200+ I'd be looking for Gitzo without stupid columns!

Oh, I'd better not use my 12 year old Manfrotto 055C then... The only thing that's gone wrong is the loss of the rubber bottom end cover from the centre column (which is purely cosmetic)

Looks like a Dolica rebrand... if it suits your needs then use it; you almost certainly would not be better off with a Manfrotto 055.

Weight ratings are near useless unless you know the brand well. I.e. a 4 series Gitzo or RRS tripod rated for 55lbs will hold an adult without breaking... it's a "useful load" rating. Whereas the Dolica rated at about the same probably means that if you put that much weight on it you will have nothing but a pile of broken parts left. And a Manfrotto 055CX costs more and is rated for about 1/2 the weight (20lbs), which probably means it's actually useful for up to about 1/2 of that (10lbs).

Thank you for the insight.

I have experience with rollei tripod and won't touch them again with barge pole. First bit to fail will be the head column, particularly if you try to attach a bigger, heavier head. Mine lasted 10 minutes. Secondly, all leg inserts will start failing and jamming. It's utter rubbish. Warranty is rubbish too.

I opted to get Manfrotto 055 with special offer which is now gone. I know it will last 2-3 years without issues and then it might go same way like all my 190s, ie. Mg bits becoming dust and falling apart. Thing is this effectively cost me £65 so it's not a big deal to replace. For £200+ I'd be looking for Gitzo without stupid columns!

That’s interesting, I did wonder about the warranty.

I ended up ordering a 055 from Wex as well, seemed like a brilliant deal and I’d prefer lever locking legs.

I think that's the thing with the boasting marketing and specs. You can never trust them fully. That's why I'm still using my Redsnapper tripod that's about 10 years old! I want something lighter, but struggling to find something that's much lighter, similar height, possibly smaller folded for reasonable money.....

Oh, I'd better not use my 12 year old Manfrotto 055C then... The only thing that's gone wrong is the loss of the rubber bottom end cover from the centre column (which is purely cosmetic)

I've got some ancient Manfrotto's but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're especially well built and I wouldn't use their older and simpler designs as evidence their current ones are especially good.

Regardless we're talking about a Rollei and they're not known for their quality, if you can get it cheaply enough sure why not but if you're concerned about the long term you need to a. maintain the thing and b. be able to source replacement parts (one of the best things about Manfrotto imo (also true of most Vitec brands)).

Email back from Rollei:

many thanks for contacting us. The tripod Rollei Rock Solid Beta Mark II is manufactured in China. This is manufactured by our partner on behalf of Rollei.

It is evident it looks just like some of the Aliexpress tripod designs... I am sure chicoms run private label schemes too.

Back