Rolleiflex slx - A Resolution

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
I know that this happens regularly but I'm considering trying another medium format system and I am intrigued by the Rollei SLX. It seems to be an interesting mix of TLR and SLR, not too heavy and adaptable and maybe the answer to my current 'going off large format' problem. Thoughts, experience, jokes?

Andy

:eek: but what about the blue and gold hasselblad?!

Looks like a pretty cool camera though :)

:eek: but what about the blue and gold hasselblad?!

Looks like a pretty cool camera though :)

I'm not allowed anything gold, it makes me giddy. :wideyed::)

The P & S medium format GA645 variants by fuji are also a good antidote to going off large format.

SLX thing looks very interesting. AF & 6x6 were on my shopping list as well. I'd probably trade the automat for that. I like the results from it but it involves too much work.

What sort of money do these actually go for?

I have no experience of this camera but I'd be a bit wary of the reliance on electronics, based on my experience with a Mamiya RZ67. The contacts between the removable film back and camera, and camera and prism,can be a source of problems. If I had my time again with a Mamiya system I would prefer the mechanical RB to the RZ for that reason.

As it happens I'm waiting for a totally mechanical Intrepid 4 * 5 to arrive.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin, my research indicates as such although the SLX 2 is apparently much more reliable.

Andy

In the wee small hours of this morning I was laying awake pondering what to do. :thinking: Then it hit me, I already have the solution, the camera that suits me. A camera that takes stunningly good images even with me helping it, a camera with interchangeable lenses of superb quality, a camera that though heavy is nowhere near as bulky or weighty as a full large format kit... My Mamiya C330 and its 4 lovely lenses :)

I really don't think that for my purposes there is anything that would be an improvement on kit that can produce this sort of image quality.
Image1warm-smaller by Andy, on Flickr

So, I am probably going to sell the large format gear and concentrate on using the Mamiya to its full potential. Thank you for listening to the inane ramblings of a blithering idiot. :pompous::runaway::D

I'm going more "need" than "want" these days

but only for expensive stuffs, I mean ya can still do cheap "want" and god knows why I bought this, stuff......can't you ?

I know that this happens regularly but I'm considering trying another medium format system and I am intrigued by the Rollei SLX. It seems to be an interesting mix of TLR and SLR, not too heavy and adaptable and maybe the answer to my current 'going off large format' problem. Thoughts, experience, jokes?

Andy
I may be able to help you with that :D

SLX thing looks very interesting. AF & 6x6 were on my shopping list as well. I'd probably trade the automat for that. I like the results from it but it involves too much work.

SLX does not offer autofocus. Arguably, based on reputation, there's a lot more hassle involved with the SLX than an Automat, unfortunately.

Andy

Andy, I thought your accidental purchase was going to fit into that particular gap? I'm still waiting for the post when it arrives...

Andy, I thought your accidental purchase was going to fit into that particular gap? I'm still waiting for the post when it arrives...

I'm thinking that it may be a bit on the heavy side to be the perfect solution so I may give it a go, clean it up and move it on.

In the wee small hours of this morning I was laying awake pondering what to do. :thinking: Then it hit me, I already have the solution, the camera that suits me. A camera that takes stunningly good images even with me helping it, a camera with interchangeable lenses of superb quality, a camera that though heavy is nowhere near as bulky or weighty as a full large format kit... My Mamiya C330 and its 4 lovely lenses :)

So, I am probably going to sell the large format gear and concentrate on using the Mamiya to its full potential. Thank you for listening to the inane ramblings of a blithering idiot. :pompous::runaway::D

Strangely enough Andy when I was walking around Ikea, looking for photo frames to take 8 * 10 inch prints - which they don't have - I thought "why doesn't Andy just use his Rollei Automat, even though it has a fixed lens". Then I thought "actually, he has a Mamiya TLR that takes interchangeable lenses ...." I'm pleased that great minds think alike, it's just they occasionally wander off on unnecessary diversions !

I already have the solution, the camera that suits me. A camera that takes stunningly good images even with me helping it, a camera with interchangeable lenses of superb quality, a camera that though heavy is nowhere near as bulky or weighty as a full large format kit... My Mamiya C330 and its 4 lovely lenses :)
#

I'm sure I spent a good hour on the way back from Porthcothan telling you this! :p :D

I do love the Mamiya TLRs; simple to use, not overly heavy, nice sharp interchangeable lenses and they're bomb proof (not bomb proof enough though! :crying: )

...and maybe the answer to my current 'going off large format' problem.

Woodsy here.

Perhaps first put some effort into changing your approach to LF? ;) :D

If you really don't enjoy it, that's completely fair enough; it's not for everyone. But before selling it all, at least try and nudge yourself into a different approach by keeping calm and following a routine that you're happy with. After all, if you can drive a car you can use a large format camera.

Last edited:
I do realise that it isn't the fault of LF, bu I can find enough ways to screw up any format and when you add in the complexity of routine, kit, loading, unloading and carrying about LF just makes me cross and ultimately disappointed. :)

Woodsy here.

Perhaps first put some effort into changing your approach to LF? ;) :D
I'm sure I spent a good hour on the way back from Porthcothan telling you this! :p :D

I do love the Mamiya TLRs; simple to use, not overly heavy, nice sharp interchangeable lenses and they're bomb proof (not bomb proof enough though! :crying: )

Yes, all right smart ars*, you may have mentioned in passing that it might be a good idea but I was still angry and swearing at that point so I wasn't listening properly. :rolleyes::)

Anyway, I've just devved 6 sheets of colour and 6 of b&w, some of which have the potential to make me change my mind about LF (again) so watch this space. :D

Last edited:
I do realise that it isn't the fault of LF, bu I can find enough ways to screw up any format and when you add in the complexity of routine, kit, loading, unloading and carrying about LF just makes me cross and ultimately disappointed. :)

Yes, all right smart ars*, you may have mentioned in passing that it might be a good idea but I was still angry and swearing at that point so I wasn't listening properly. :rolleyes::)

Anyway, I've just devved 6 sheets of colour and 6 of b&w, some of which have the potential to make me change my mind about LF (again) so watch this space. :D

What you need is an ultralight Acrylic camera in whatever colour you want to match your hipster outfit ;0)

I was thinking of tweed with a hint of gun dog
Don't forget to add a soupçon of split cane, hand-tied salmon flies and a willow creel to complete the ensemble.

Whippets aren't gun dogs, tweed aint far off though, mebbe you could cover it with flat cap leatherette..:)

Leatherette? Oh dear! Especially not on the jacket elbows, dear boy.

Last edited:
Are you going for a Rollei SLX or sticking with the Mamiya?

Heres my thoughts on the Rollei's

I have looked, on and off, over the years at the Rollei systems and almost buying a 6008i.

They are all electronic and most, including the SLX, have a built in meter, I think the SLX is centre weighted, the 6008 range offers a couple of other metering options.

Loading the film in these things is probably on of the easiest to with the way that Rollei has designed their film cartridges.

The BIG down side to the Rollei systems is its power unit,

They are all electronic and no power nothing works, no back up mechanical settings ala Nikon F3.

The batteries are Nicads and you can find replacements or refurbed ones on Flea Bay but they are not common, I think there were a couple of webites around that showed you how you could replace the batteries and I think you would have to be handy with a soldering iron.

Other than that they are cracking cameras, lens, cost wise are about on par with Hasselblad.

Oh and the Rollei 6008AF was I think the only film Rollei that did auto focus, excluding the Digital one they did, which the model name escapes me for the moment.

Other than that.

Stick with the Mamiya, and the tweed :D

I have looked, on and off, over the years at the Rollei systems and almost buying a 6008i.

They are all electronic and most, including the SLX, have a built in meter, I think the SLX is centre weighted, the 6008 range offers a couple of other metering options.

Loading the film in these things is probably on of the easiest to with the way that Rollei has designed their film cartridges.

They are all electronic and no power nothing works, no back up mechanical settings ala Nikon F3.

The batteries are Nicads and you can find replacements or refurbed ones on Flea Bay but they are not common, I think there were a couple of webites around that showed you how you could replace the batteries and I think you would have to be handy with a soldering iron.

Other than that they are cracking cameras, lens, cost wise are about on par with Hasselblad.

Oh and the Rollei 6008AF was I think the only film Rollei that did auto focus, excluding the Digital one they did, which the model name escapes me for the moment.

Other than that.

Agree...There is something in the back of my mind about the SLX from many years ago, IMO it doesn't seem wise paying too much for something old and not mechanical..but I always say:- if you have plenty of money then get what you like. o_O

Other than that.

I think I have decided to concur with your last sentence (without the tweed :D well, maybe a bit of tweed). I need to get out and abourt with the Mamiya to make sure it isn't too heavy/bulky to lug around but I suspect that in comparison to the LF gear it will be a breeze.

Andy

Agree...There is something in the back of my mind about the SLX from many years ago, IMO it doesn't seem wise paying too much for something old and not mechanical..but I always say:- if you have plenty of money then get what you like. o_O

It does appear that the electronics can be a problem so, for the moment, the Rollei solution is on hold.

'Old and not mechanical'... sounds familiar Brian. :D

It does appear that the electronics can be a problem so, for the moment, the Rollei solution is on hold.

'Old and not mechanical'... sounds familiar Brian. :D

There is always the mechancal SL66 with flash sync of 1/30 sec :eek: and expensive lenses :eek:...I was unlucky with mine as the shutter speeds jammed after light use and had to have it repaired. I nearly bought the C330 and IMO is a great camera.
The best dressed person in erm in the 70s or 80s? :eek:
img147 (2)-500px.jpg

Last edited:
@Andysnap I know you already have the C330 but if you are finding that too bulky then perhaps consider the C220, it's more manual but considerably light and smaller but uses the same lenses.

@Andysnap I know you already have the C330 but if you are finding that too bulky then perhaps consider the C220, it's more manual but considerably light and smaller but uses the same lenses.

Funnily enough I was thinking about that very thing not an hour ago..... I am now expecting you to say "I could probably help you with that" :D

Funnily enough I was thinking about that very thing not an hour ago..... I am now expecting you to say "I could probably help you with that" :D
You never know :D

I had a C220 for a bit, nice camera, didn't get on with it though I'm an RF man and it was just too much of a boxey thing like most cameras that aren't RF's.
Anyway, my point is that for a TLR, it wasn't the lightest thing I'd ever dealt with, I suppose once you start putting a big bellows on a TLR and the mech to move it, its always gonna be heavier than without.
Its rare I shoot on a tripod unless its actually night and for handheld I didn't like how unbalanced and front heavy it became with the bellows out, but, y'know....it takes all sorts

Back