Roller bag for studio lights required

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
I'm currently looking for a suitable roller bag that can fit three lencarta elite pro lights, four standard umbrellas and some other stuff.

I would like one that's big enough to carry everything including potentially another flash in the future. I can't seem to find much online. There is one in particular that comes in about three sizes with a red zip around the outside that's sold by a few retailers but I'm not convinced it will be capable to storing everything I need.

The maker of my studio and location flash systems is suggesting plenty
of transportation solutions… yours don't?

Sorry I don't understand your question.

Your system maker doesn't offer transport solutions?
They should be adapted to your gear!

Your system maker doesn't offer transport solutions?
They should be adapted to your gear!
Well the lights are made by Lencarta. The only case they offer is the one I mentioned above (red zips/piping). Lencarta lights are from a Chinese supplier and are very similar to offer UK importers like essential photo for example, who also sell the red zipped bag and a lot of the same products. The cases are fairly generic with adjustable dividers inside.

I'm really looking for some other alternatives that are possibly a bit bigger.

Well the lights are made by Lencarta. The only case they offer is the one I mentioned above (red zips/piping). Lencarta lights are from a Chinese supplier and are very similar to offer UK importers like essential photo for example, who also sell the red zipped bag and a lot of the same products. The cases are fairly generic with adjustable dividers inside.

I'm really looking for some other alternatives that are possibly a bit bigger.
No they're not, they are of course made in China, but to our spec and are not "very similar" to any others available from anywhere else, insofar as the actual equipment inside the cases is unique to us.
But, to get back to your question...
There are a lot of bags out there that can take lights - any makes of lights - but they tend to be expensive because of limited demand, and most of them are a bit over-ambitious, which means that you can cram a whole lot into them but they then won't fit inside the average car, and I've even seen some that won't fit through the average door:)

My own solution is to buy a travel bag from Tesco. They come in a wide range of different sizes to fit specific needs, they are available in both hard and soft options and, because of economies of scale, are much cheaper than anythng you might buy from a photographic supplier. Just separate flashes with foam, to stop them from attacking each other.

Think Tank do a rolling transport bag for around 350UKP. It called the Production Manager 30. They do an even bigger one called the Production Manager 40. Problem with all of these larger bags is that they are great in theory, everything packed away one bag, but they can get very heavy and a bit difficult to lift into and out of cars etc if you are not careful.

Regards...

My own solution is to buy a travel bag from Tesco. They come in a wide range of different sizes to fit specific needs, they are available in both hard and soft options and, because of economies of scale, are much cheaper than anythng you might buy from a photographic supplier. Just separate flashes with foam, to stop them from attacking each other.
Easily the best advice from Garry. Bags for lighting equipment is a total rip off if. Be resourceful and you'll be financially better off.
The type of foam you need for this foam is called closed cell foam. It's the type that yoga\dance mats are made of.

Lencarta lights are from a Chinese supplier
If Chinese studio lights are good enough for the likes of Lencarta they are easily good enough for me.

I got a second hand Bowens roller bag off eBay, loads better than the cheap alternatives, and cheaper too, it was hardly used.

But mine is probably not quite as big as you need. It would hold 3 lights (just) but you'd need storage for some of the other essentials. Mine holds 2 good stands, triggers, 2 heads with cables, 1 std reflector, 1 snoot, 4 grids, extension cable and 4 gang extension.

Just looking at those Tenba ones could provide a means.

One of the main reasons I'm looking for a new bag is speed, along with portability. At the moment I take tonnes of equipment to peoples houses and currently my lights and umbrellas and all packed into two bags that I got from ebay. The issue is that they don't really go in properly because the dividers aren't that accommodating. With the two bags getting the gear out and putting it away takes a bit longer, we might not be talking minutes or anything but it really pays to be able to get setup quickly.

I was thinking perhaps I could get some kind of large peli case with pick n pluck that I can adapt myself.

Forget Peli… costly and heavy. I use them only for bodies and lenses.
Flash heads: Profoto
Reflectors, stands, tripods: Manfrotto, Tenba.
I was in the same situation for location as you are. It's not easy… be clever.

Spotted a few on eBay - one that looks similar to the above in post#14, but no idea on quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HWASTUDIO...186174?hash=item41999ea8be:g:PIgAAOSwPcVVpmHI

And another, made by Pixapro, slightly smaller dimensions, (Inner Dimension L:71cm W: 25cm H: 25cm) but cheaper still at £59.49.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIXAPRO-P...465813?hash=item2c6dc93c95:g:zr4AAOxycD9TPV~R

Same seller as the first bag, so different make, but even cheaper at £38.................... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HWASTUDIO...859222?hash=item41997b2716:g:J-UAAOSwMmBV2vn3

I got a second hand Bowens roller bag off eBay, loads better than the cheap alternatives, and cheaper too, it was hardly used.

But mine is probably not quite as big as you need. It would hold 3 lights (just) but you'd need storage for some of the other essentials. Mine holds 2 good stands, triggers, 2 heads with cables, 1 std reflector, 1 snoot, 4 grids, extension cable and 4 gang extension.

I'd second looking for a bowens bag second hand. Mine holds exactly the same, but any bigger and I'd struggle to lift it

Spotted a few on eBay - one that looks similar to the above in post#14, but no idea on quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HWASTUDIO...186174?hash=item41999ea8be:g:PIgAAOSwPcVVpmHI

And another, made by Pixapro, slightly smaller dimensions, (Inner Dimension L:71cm W: 25cm H: 25cm) but cheaper still at £59.49.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIXAPRO-P...465813?hash=item2c6dc93c95:g:zr4AAOxycD9TPV~R

Same seller as the first bag, so different make, but even cheaper at £38.................... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HWASTUDIO...859222?hash=item41997b2716:g:J-UAAOSwMmBV2vn3
No retailer "makes" bags, as far as I know they are ALL made in China (regardless of price) and it's a very low-tech industry with very low entry levels, so quality can be very variable.

Back