Rolling shots - Any advice/tips/tricks?

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
So, I'd like to get some rolling shots of my car, like this:

roll.jpg

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get a decent shot straight out of the cam? I don't use any editing software at all, so the easier the better for me.

I have a Nikon D7000 and a few differing lenses, such as the kit lens, tamron 70-200 (which I think would be way to big) and a Helios 44.4m

At a guess, a slow shutter speed, moving at the same pace as the car with a higher F-stop?

To get a shot like this, you need to be low to the ground which means being a passenger and having a door open - not ideal. The alternative is rig shots which isn't any good for you as you don't have / use editing software to remove the rig and shadows

We shoot with a d500 and 16-80 and typically 1/40s or ideally slower but you'll need a lot of shots and smooth roads - the wind buffering is a PiTA even at 50mph hanging out of a window. We have many "nearly" shots but it only takes one to come away happy

So, in short, no tricks - just technique and practice

I think Damian has it fairly well covered

I’ve not done that kind of thing for quite a while, but I shot Dan Krebs’ superb Polo as part of a magazine feature set a few years ago, just before rigs really took off in a big way and I moved away from the scene.

Not advising your copying this set up, but I was lying face down in the open back of an estate car, probably at about 40-50mph - IIRC it was something like 1/60 sec with a 17-40 lens on a 5D. Fortunately, we didn’t encounter any police while we were at it :)

7520169C-885C-4936-8707-4EB6D4FD171A.jpeg

Last edited:
Cheers for the advice guys. I've got a pal with an X5, so going to have a go with the bottom half of the boot down. Hopefully this should avoid the police pulling us over.

The X5 boot is going to be fairly high off the ground, so you won't get the same angle as that first example.
I'd suggest that you keep the speed of the cars closer to 20mph and use a slower shutter speed to get the same sort of movement in the shot.
I would also suggest you do some practice runs with you shooting from the back window first; this will allow the two drivers to get used to matching their speeds and give you a chance to try out shutter speeds and see the different results before commiting to the risky position of sticking out of the boot of a car.
Obviously all of this will be done on closed/private roads ;)

Done a few of these myself a few years ago (my first ever attempts) - will give you an idea of the focal length and shutter speed i used. Motorway ones was as passenger, hanging out the window of the car at about 55-60mph:

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mgphotographyuk/36319838512/

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mgphotographyuk/36442225296/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mgphotographyuk/36442226556/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mgphotographyuk/36110833000/

Last edited:
I did a few in France recently when I was there for the D-Day anniversary.

Literally wound the rear window down (in a LR Discovery - so I was quite high up) flipped out the screen so I could just about compose a shot and just kept shooting.

Turned these B&W as they suited the subject matter a little more, but the light is what makes some of the ones above nice.

If you want motion blur, then some experimenting with shutter speeds will dial up more or less, but mine were taken at around 1/250th and still had blur on the wheels and background.

IMG_6914 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

I did a few in France recently when I was there for the D-Day anniversary.

Literally wound the rear window down (in a LR Discovery - so I was quite high up) flipped out the screen so I could just about compose a shot and just kept shooting.

Turned these B&W as they suited the subject matter a little more, but the light is what makes some of the ones above nice.

If you want motion blur, then some experimenting with shutter speeds will dial up more or less, but mine were taken at around 1/250th and still had blur on the wheels and background.

IMG_6914 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

I like the tilt, good result.

Back