Non UK Romania bear hides

Name
Blarg
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all,

Has anyone been to either of these hides

or similar recently?

The photos that I can find don't really give much of an impression on how close the wildlife gets - so unsure what equipment to take for my Canon R5 - as we'll be flying with BA we'll be weight constrained slightly so want to optimise!

Thanks in advance,

Cant help on the hides, but I take it you've checked when the bears are about? They can also be aggressive when first up from hibernation.

We can all be "hangry"!!!

And a slower (than you) companion!

And a slower (than you) companion!
Carry a .22 pistol. Not for the bear. Use it to kneecap your companion.

Actually it isn't as bad as you might think. Bears only need 25% meat in their diet so 3 out of 4 people are quite safe.

Last edited:
There is a big issue regarding bears throughout Europe. In France they have re-introduced bears into the Pyrenees. The bears were brought in from Slovenia where they had been captured after raiding farms and small holdings. The area they were introduced into only has four mammal species other than shepherds and their dogs. Of the four potential prey species three are endangered and the other, sheep are privately owned. It is costing the authorities several hundred thousand euros per year to compensate farmers for losses sustained by bear attacks. The bears herd the sheep over cliffs then climb down and eat their fill leaving dozens of dead sheep for the vultures.

Because the French Pyrenees are north facing many of the bears that the French have introduced have gone over to the sunnier southern facing Spanish side. So Spanish shepherds are losing sheep too. The French government want to introduce even more bears and when they called a public meeting to head off local opposition the whole town of Pau was brought to a standstill. Police reinforcements were brought in from all over southern France and the pro-bear delegates had to be air lifted by helicopter out of the area.

Countries like France, Spain, Austria, Slovenia and others have ongoing problems with bears encroaching into public areas. However, the EU have placed restrictions on what the governments can do.

Back