Rome and best lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, first post regarding advice so please be nice :love:

I am going to Rome this Saturday with the enemy, and with my love of taking pics (aren't we all hence we are here); I need some advice regarding best lens and equipment.

I love taking pics of landscapes, buildings, monuments hence I would benefit a wide angle lens anyway.

I already own the kit lens with my 400D, tamrom 70-200mm and some manual lens which are connected via a M42 adapter.

Any suggestions welcome. I don't think i would need a tri/monopod since the weather will be hot. A hood would be essential I suppose.

Also are there any restrictions with regards to cameras in the Vatican?

I believe in getting things right the first time, but this cannot always be possible due to our good old pal money! So, I would eventually upgrade to a 6D (or if I win at the horses a 5D), but I want something that is compatible later with that.

Thanks.

I was thinking I might buy a monopod for night pics. Or shall I just take the tripod we have? Mono is more versatile...? We will be doing a lot of walking, so mono is just click and go.

Any one got any experience with a Sigma 10-20mm? Ill be using it with a 400D, so the whole x1.6 factor applies.

In fact, does anyone know the best place to buy lens?

Im going with Ryanair so limits on the baggage etc. But I can squeeze the tripod I have in. I just don't want to be carrying much in the intense heat.

How long did you stay for? And any tips in terms of photography?

Can the Sigma 10-20 and Tamron 10 - 24 be used on a full frame camera as well as the 400D?

There are a lot of narrow streets in the older parts of Rome and you'll struggle without a wide angle. I don't know anything about the Sigma 10-20mm, apart from what I've read, but the range should be fine.

The previous poster is correct about photography in the Vatican, but they didn't seem to enforcing the rule about flash in the museums the last time I was there a couple of years ago. Photography isn't permitted in the Sistine Chapel and there are usually a couple of guards shouting "No photographs!" because some people ignore the rule. I wish they wouldn't, because it's private property and disrespectful. You can buy books with excellent photographs - which are going to be a lot better than a sneaky snap anyway - and postcards in the gift shops.

Just so you know, there are rules about dress in St Peter's Basillica. No shorts, mini skirts or bare shoulders. Enforcement is a bit arbitrary, but the rules are there.

Hi.

I went in June with a 500D and 17-50/2.8.

I wished I had had a wider lens TBH. 10-20 would have been great, though I would have wanted a nifty 50 just for other pics.

I didn't use flash at all, I just cranked the ISO right up and hoped for the best- which worked. If you get a spare few hours in the night time (around midnight> ), it would be great to get some night shots on a TRIPOD. ISO100 f8.

I wouldn't take one anywhere in the day though - hassle, and not necessary.

Sistine chapel doesn't allow photography. I was very naughty though, and crafty.

Respect their dress code as mentioned.

My pics are from here onwards in my flickr if you're interested.

Pantheon by night by ^Joe, on Flickr

Have a good time - it's the most beautiful city on this planet.

Thanks for the great input guys.

Mystery57 - I have heard Ryanair are not so great. It is the first time we are flying with them. Might be the last time!? How much are you selling your lens for?

MartynK - This might be a silly question, but its better to look silly now than when I get there, T-shirts and 3/4 pants are allowed? I totally agree about the narrow streets, hence a wide is a must.

^Joe - Your shots are great!

Since it will be hot, like intensely hot, should I buy a polarising filter too? I don't do post editing yet....just so you know.

Yes, CIA and staying in the Hotel Ponte Sisto. Not so far from The Vatican. I have heard the streets can get quite noisy though!

I have just qualified as a pharmacist hence celebrating with a holiday with the missus.

I think with Ryanair and the other economical airlines, you just have to do everything they say to the exact terms and conditions, then they cannot catch you out with these hidden charges etc. Oh well, who said it is cheap to fly!?!

I am really thinking about the Sigma or Tamron UWA's...but if I am looking to upgrade to a full sensor (which I am next year maybe), then they will not work on them!

I'm off to Venice and then Rome myself next week and I'm planning on taking a Nikon 24mm f2.8 as my Widest Lens, albeit thats on a Full Frame D600 so 16mm on a DX body, would like something wider but I've just bought a Sigma 35mm f1.4 so planning to use that for most things!
Have a good trip!

T shirt and 3/4 pants are fine, it's tank tops/vests and shorts that they don't allow.

I suggest catching the bus - they run frequently - from the airport to Termini. There's no rail link from CIA into Rome, and the taxis are quite expensive. Termini is the main transport hub for all trains and buses, and I suggest you get a taxi to your hotel from the official rank in front of it. Avoid the taxis that tout for business in the streets at the side, they're more likely to try to scam you with the fare.

Ryanair isn't too bad. We've used them a couple of times because it's not a long flight and they were much cheaper than the other airlines, but make sure you comply with all their terms and conditions to avoid surcharges.

Polarising filters reduce glare and reflections from glass and water, enhance blue sky, giving it a deeper and more dramatic appearance and usually make green foliage look more saturated too. They do reduce light transmission though - typically by two stops, the Hoya HD filter is less - and you need to be aware of this. Polarisation is one of the few things you can't do in post processing, and it's a handy filter to have, but I wouldn't overdo it.

Enjoy Rome. It's one of my favourite cities.

Oh...are guards not patrolling there?

Yip. There are usually two of them standing near the front, shouting "No photography" every few minutes; and another one by the side door to stop people taking the short cut to St Peter's Basilica. That's reserved for organised tours, and everyone else has to walk back through the museums, exit, and walk round the outside of the Vatican to St Peter's Square. It's a fair distance. One trick that can work is to attach yourself to the back of a tour group, and try to look as if you're with them when they take the short cut though!

Does it cost to walk around the vatican yourself, as opposed to the guided tour which includes the shortcut :p

The queue for the museum will be horrendous.

If you book the tickets for entry online there will be NO queue.

You can walk around at your own pace.

Alternatively, there are people wandering the streets offering tours, which include the fast-trac.

The Vatican website do tours too IIRC.

I just booked my tickets and was very glad of it (Paid cash @ kiosk on arrival.)

There's no charge for the basilica unless you want to go to the top, which is so awesome

What website did you use to book the tickets? Am I allowed to ask that on this forum/thread?

Does it cost to walk around the vatican yourself, as opposed to the guided tour which includes the shortcut :p

You have to buy a ticket to the museums, and you can avoid the queues by getting the tickets in advance. I think it's slightly cheaper too. The shortcut is for organised tours, with tour companies that have this arrangement with the Vatican. I haven't a clue what these tours cost, but I imagine it's quite expensive. It doesn't apply to the freelance guides you find at all the tourist attractions in Rome.

Last edited:
I will have a look at the aforementioned websites. There seems like too much to do there!

Does anyone know of any reputable websites to buy used lens?

Yes, the location is perfect, but at a price...as is everything in life!

I will visit the usual sites, and just relax to be honest. I am avidly googling so much at the moment and trying to make an itinerary.

The Vatican is about 15 mins away.

Does anyone recommend any hidden gems that we should see?

Lens - as you can't buy from TP, I'd say MPB Photography, or LCE.

The big sights to see:

Vatican city; St Peters Basilica & Square, and Vatican Museum.
Near your hotel; Piazza Navona, Pantheon (MUST), Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain.
South slightly; Collosseum, Roman Forum, Alter of the Fatherland (walk past, take pic).

Behind the Pantheon (to the left) is Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. A superb understated church worth visiting.

Near the collosseum is St Peter in Chains (San Pietro Vincoli or something) - pretty cool too.

There's so much to see.

Don't miss Giolitti; it's a place that sells superb ice creams, 2 mins from the Pantheon.

I would thoroughly recomend ''Il Belli" restaurant, not too far from you. Very, very nice. Not overpriced.

I come back on the 15th August which is a national holiday since it is the Feast of Assumption.

Has anyone been on a national holiday to Rome?

Sistine chapel - usually heaving with people all holding their camera phones up and getting told off - set your camera up and then quickly snap and go and sit down again :)

Brilliant little restaurant that we used a lot was near the Trevi Fountain called Piccolo Buco -- superb family run business.

Last edited:
You can easily spend a few days in Rome, and still not see everything, so you have to have a rough idea what you want to do and prioritise.

The Palatine Hill - where several of the imperial palaces were - is opposite the Colosseum, above the forum. You can buy a ticket at the office, which doesn't get very busy. This gives you entry to the Colosseum too, where the queues are frightening! Of course, you can buy tickets for most attractions online, or get various types of visitor's pass. The Baths of Caracalla aren't far away - just past the Circus Maximus - and there are the catacombs a bit further out.

Another possibility, if it appeals to you, is Pompeii or Herculaneum. There are tours from Rome, but it's easy to get the inter-city train to Naples and a local train to the sites. Pompeii is larger and more famous, but gets very busy. It will be hot and there's not much shade, so I'd take a hat and bottled water. Herculaneum is better preserved, easier to get round in a few hours, and doesn't attract so many visitors. It's probably the better choice. You can get to either of them, and back to Rome in a day, but I wouldn't try to see both sites at the same time. It's possible, but you won't really have time to see everything. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post some details about how to get there.

An alternative, if you don't want to spend a whole day on this sort of thing, is Ostia Antica. This was the port of ancient Rome, until it got silted up. It's just outside Rome and you can get there on the Metro or by train. The port is interesting and the buildings are quite well preserved.

One other thing, check the opening times for the places you want to see in advance.

Last edited:
Yes, I have heard that opening times are not continuous there. They close about midday till 4?

For this time, I think we will only stick to Rome. We will plan another trip some other time. I think there will be too much running around.

Back