Rome and best lens

I'm going to Rome again at the beginning of Sept, which will be my 5th time. :eek: :D

I usually take my 16-85mm and my 70-300mm. I once borrowed a 10-20mm for a visit. The 16-85mm stays on the camera 95% of the time, and I've found it the perfect lens and range for city holidays. The 10-20mm would be useful occasionally, but not enough for me to purchase one. Hardly used the 70-300mm at all.

I have my Polariser permanently attached to my camera because I like the effect. :) It only comes off for indoor and night shots. And speaking of night shots, I only take the tripod out at night. And yes, I take a tripod every time. There are a few pics of Rome in my 500px link below.

If you are going to St Peter's Basilica, get there early. Staying close to the Vatican will make that easier. The last two visits I've gone to the top of the Dome on the Basilica, I got there just after 9am, and went straight to the top of the Dome. It is a trek up to the top though, and it all get a bit 'funhouse' as the wall of the Dome curve on the way up. :LOL: By around 10am onwards the queues to get into the Basilica can stretch around the whole 'square'. :eek:

The Pantheon is a must visit, and there a wide angle lens would be useful. ;) It's my favourite place, and gets visited a number of times while I'm there hoping to get the perfect pic. I haven't got it yet. :( :LOL: As has been mentioned, a ticket for the Forum will also get you into the Colosseum, and I think the ticket lasts for two days, but check on that. ;)

The Trevi Fountain is very good, though very busy. It's location is very surprising, and takes a bit of tracking down. Piazza Navona and Piazza del Popolo a nice open places, though totally different to each other.

Last year I went on a Segway tour on the last day, but I should have done it on the first. Pricey, but I saw bits of the city that I hadn't seen before even in previous visits, and places where I'm going back to next time to take some pics. I always wanted to have a go on a Segway too, and it was great. (y) Very easy up and down the hills on one of those, though the old centre is not very hilly at all. Tried to book a Segway tour before I went with various companies, and one company were willing to charge me double because I was on my own. :eek: Very kind offer, but I declined.;) If you fancy it let me know, and I'll search out which company I used. They were very good.

I always get a 7 day travel pass while I'm away, yes you can walk to most of it, but on a hot day being on the wrong side of the city, jumping on a Bus/Train is very nice.

I have read the streets are not so flat, hence sensible footwear is advised.

Rome is built on seven hills, and you'll get to know them quite well! A lot of the side streets in the older parts of the city are cobbled too, and you definitely need good walking shoes.

If I use a EF lens on my 400D, will I be using that lens to its fullest potential?

Be careful though. We were there about four years ago and my wife had a purse taken from a handbag which was closed and being worn across her body - light fingered b*****d!

The problem of pick pockets seems quite prevalent i.e. it is mentioned everywhere.

Is it that bad?!

Pickpockets are rife around the tourist spots and they work in gangs. Probably the worst place though is around the streets near the Railway station.

We got turned over years ago by about a dozen street kids under the age of about ten, who milled around us carrying a large piece of cardboard, saw them again this year and gave them a very wide berth - if you feel threatened don't be scared to shout out, all the shopkeepers came running out when we had a problem.

The area around Termini is a bit dodgy at night, and pickpockets do operate on the underground. The No 40 bus route - which goes towards the Vatican -is also known for this, but pickpockets are a risk in most big cities. Roma children and flower sellers can be a nuisance at some of the popular attractions, like the Spanish Steps. Just ignore them.

Pickpockets target tourists because they're usually easy to spot, and have money, cameras, mobile phones and credit cards etc.

A few tips: Make a copy of your passport and airline reference number, and leave them in the hotel. This makes it a lot easier to get replacements if you have to. Don't carry large sums of cash. You can draw money from most ATMs with a UK card if necessary. You'll pay a fee, but it reduces your risk exposure. Women: Bag snatching, and cutting the shoulder strap to grab the bag, can happen. Don't carry a bag unless you really need to, and remove anything of particular value. Men: Don't walk around with your hand over your wallet or phone - unless you feel uneasy - or keep patting your pocket to make sure they're still there. That just identifies the pocket where you keep valuables to a thief. Don't carry your wallet in a hip pocket. Side pockets - with a zip, if you have these - are safer. Don't put your wallet or phone on a table at pavement cafes. Keep them in your pockets. Loop the strap of your camera or bag round a table leg or the arm of your chair if you can. Don't get engrossed in studying a street map in public places, it highlights you as a tourist and distracts you. Go into a shop or ask someone for directions. Most Romans are pretty helpful.

Rome is pretty safe. Pickpockets can be a risk in any big city, but violent street crime isn't a major problem. Just use common sense and enjoy yourselves.

Reading all this pick pocket stuff takes away some of the excitement and essence of my trip - before I have even set off!

I know you guys mean well to warm me, but its a shame such things happen in such a beautiful place. That doesn't mean it can happen anywhere else; but they must have some courage to do this in public places.

How did you guys feel carrying your camera around your neck all day?

I only have a 400D. They must be more street savvy and know its not the best.

Seriously.. don't let it ruin your trip at all. I was in a similar position to yourself... did a lot of research and came across a lot of pick pocket warnings.

Don't let it bother you. Just use common sense. As mentioned, the police presence is good in Rome, and especially in the Vatican.

There are a LOT of cameras in rome. round the neck is fine.

Fewwww, that puts my mind at rest.

Even so, they would know my camera is not the best.

I was pick-pocketed in Rome a couple of years ago. Luckily he was spotted by someone else.
Stuff your wallet down the front of your trousers(seriously) and you should be fine! It gets a bit wearing checking for and worrying about pick pockets all the time.

There are thousands of people carrying cameras in Rome at just about any time of year, and there's no particular reason why you should be targeted! Rome isn't a high risk city and most people never have any problems at all. I'd be more concerned in London. Just be sensible and take some precautions. Criminals look for easy targets, just like everywhere else, and most of my suggestions are pretty routine advice for travellers.

Carrying your camera round your neck is probably a better option than having it over your shoulder, or in your hand, if you don't mind doing this; but pickpockets don't scope out the make and model of your camera. They're just looking for easy pickings, and something they can sell on, with the least risk be getting caught.

FWIW, I've worked in security consulting for + 35 years and I used to live in Johannesburg, which is a high risk city! I've also spend quite a lot of time in places that are quite scary, and written plenty of briefs for corporate clients travelling to really dodgy destinations!

Rome is fine. You'll have a wonderful time. Don't forget to throw a coin into the Trevi fountain to ensure you'll go back.

I went last year with my girlfriend, found that my Nikkor 10-24 left the camera once or twice at most! Would have loved to have a tripod at night.

Had all the warnings about pick pockets and cameras/lenses being targeted, and one of the best things I heard was to be confident, looking around uneasily trying to hide your camera may highlight you as a target.

Bad news guys, my tripod will not fit in my travel case.

Ryanair has restrictions of a 50cm height, for the travel case.

I have a cheap tripod which does not dismantle!

Last edited:
A tripod would be good for night shots, but it'll be a bloody nuisance to carry around with you. I'd just go on holiday, enjoy Rome - which is pretty easy - and throw a coin into the Trevi fountain to make sure I go back. Do a night recce and decide whether to take the tripod next time?

Because I normally go on holiday for about a week, I take a case that goes in the hold with all the unimportant stuff, by which I mean non camera gear. ;) That said, the tripod goes in the case. I had to buy a smaller tripod, a Manfrotto 055ProB, which fits diagonally across my case.

I was forced to buy a cheap aluminium tripod once in Barcelona before I got the Manfrotto because someone let me down on the way to airport when they said they would lend me a tripod, but then couldn't find it. :bonk: The case of the cheap tripod fitted the 055ProB when I got it though, so it earned its keep on the holiday and beyond. :)

If I didn't have space for any large tripod, I would look into a Gorillapod, but the larger version for a DSLR. In a few of the pics I've taken in Rome I have had the tripod resting on a bridge or some type of plinth were the height wasn't a problem.

I bought a knockoff Gorillapod in Venice in April for €10. I was just seeing how much they were, and the chap said €25, 'OK, no thanks', I said, and walked on, he said €15. I said 'no thanks, I just wanted to know the price', so he said €10. :eek: I said 'OK then'. :D It was for a compact camera, but I used it take a video of the Grand Canal from Vaporetto.

There are people selling the cheap small tripods all over Rome if you don't take one with you, but get the urge to do some night photography, particularly near the Vatican, Castel Sant'Angelo and the Colosseum. And on the Ponte Umberto I bridge, which is a good location to get pics of the Vatican with the river in front.

I had a dark Rome tour of the Vatican. You could easily spend a day or one your own exploring everything. The tour was worth it this time. But next time I will go at our own pace. That's the only problem with the tours.

Vatican is an amazing place.

Also we has the hop on/hop off bus passes. Very worthwhile for going round the city quickly. Spent a lot of time on the bus. Takes you near all the sights. We had a city sightseeing bus. (Red with yellow writing). Others are a bit more frequent. When you find a place there will be lots of people trying to sell you a to let for their busses.

Trevi fountain is impressive. You need to get there very early if you want it quiet. It's gets very busy. Trevi fountain is very close to the Spanish steps. So you can do 2 in one go.

Just enjoy yourself.

I think the best part of Rome is...

Just pop into a café, take any seat you like (wave to the owner).

The service, coffee, and sweet things are remarkable in comparison to England.

Not a touristy-type cafe, just an oldy worldy one down a side street.

delightful.

Oh, and make an effort to see Giolitti I mentioned.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gi...i,+roma&cid=0,0,17505439075304015315&t=m&z=17

4th right when walking from the Pantheon.

(You have to go buy your ice cream before going to the ice cream counter)

I am thinking to buy a gorillapod but from Jessops I am looking at from £30! A bit of plastic for £30...

I am under the impression Rome needs to be visited a few times, so this time, I will just soak in the essence and become familiar with it.

And for the ice cream shop, I know exactly where it is, and have mapped my journey from my hotel so I know exactly where to go ;)

The ice cream shop, 15mins walk from the hotel!

I wonder what time they open....ice cream for breakfast lol!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by metering. Can you clarify this?

You can use auto white balance if you trust it, or set a custom white balance for the particular environment you're in, but the easiest way is to shoot raw with auto white balance and adjust it in post processing using the DPP software that came with the camera. It's simple, and you can play with the white balance until it looks right to you.

I wouldn't touch Ryanair, and I'd travel light on the gear. I was in turkey recently and London just last weekend, for Turkey I just brought the D800+85mm, and the fuji x100s for anything wider.

In London, for some reason I thought being much closer, I could get away with carrying a lot more. So I brought my 300mm lens + TC, along with the 85mm, 35mm and the fuji and chargers for both ...

PITA x 10.

Keep it simple. 2 primes are perfect, a 35 and an 85. Job done. Light, easy to use, no fuss ... excellent quality.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by metering. Can you clarify this?

You can use auto white balance if you trust it, or set a custom white balance for the particular environment you're in, but the easiest way is to shoot raw with auto white balance and adjust it in post processing using the DPP software that came with the camera. It's simple, and you can play with the white balance until it looks right to you.

Sorry for using probably made up technical language that isn't correct. The light metering evaluation.

No problem, I just wasn't sure what you wanted to know. Do you use auto, aperture or shutter speed priority?

I am thinking to buy a gorillapod but from Jessops I am looking at from £30! A bit of plastic for £30...

That's why I had never bought one before, but you can get copies a bit cheaper. And you may even pick something up on holiday like I did. ;)

What about the metering and white balance? Is that adjusted accordingly inside?

Use Auto White Balance when in and out streets. If you are somewhere were you know the light source, then set an appropriate WB. Once the Sun has set I use the correct WB for the scene, Tungsten or Incandescent.

For metering, use the Multi meter, and the use the Exposure Value Compensation (EV) when appropriate. :) Overexposure is the thing most difficult to fix, so only overexpose unimportant elements of the scene if you need to.

No problem, I just wasn't sure what you wanted to know. Do you use auto, aperture or shutter speed priority?

Mainly aperture. The lens I have are not so good. I have the kit lens to my 400D. A few manuals which I have used only once.

And I recently got a Tamron 10-24mm (bought off someone from here) which keeps bring up "error 99". So disappointed with this since I go on Saturday and cannot get a replacement etc.

I cannot even get in contact with the person now as well!

What about the metering and white balance? Is that adjusted accordingly inside?

Refer to your manual for different metering modes - I usually stick it on spot, and use exposure lock etc..

Or use manual. Just check your screen&histogram for accuracy.

As for white balance.. auto suited me. I didn't want to shoot Raw as I had plans to take so many photos. :geek:

The kit lens - I assume you have the older one without IS - isn't great, but we just have to use what we've got.

I'd just use evaluative metering, unless you have a particular reason for wanting to use partial or centre weighted. It works the same way in low light as in any other conditions.

Your biggest problem is going to be shooting in the evening and at night, because the kit lens is slow and doesn't perform very well wide open, and you have to maintain a sufficiently high shutter speed to avoid camera shake. Experiment. See what shutter speed the meter indicates with the lens set to f3.5 - f4.0, and increase the ISO to whatever you need to keep the shutter speed at a level you're comfortable with for hand holding. Apply exposure compentation if necessary. Noisy shots can be repaired reasonably well in post processing, and you can increase the exposure at this stage too. Raw is a bit more flexible for this, because you have all the data the camera captured. You can also use flash, or look for something to rest the camera on so that you can use a lower shutter speed. All of this is going to involve compromises, but that's common in photography.

Just relax and enjoy yourself. We all strive to get the best shots we can, but a shot that falls short of this ideal - but brings back memories - is better than a shot you didn't take because you weren't confident enough to try it!

Yes I have the older lens kit, and it looks like I will have to use that this holiday :(

Lightning strikes twice.
Just had a phone call from my daughter who is in Milan. She's on her own just now and was at the train station about to buy a ticket from a machine. She had a twenty Euro note in her hand.
A young man came up to her and said that she couldn't use notes with that machine, she had to use coins. He grabbed the note from her hand and ran off.
She's 5'4" and had a heavy rucksack on as she's backpacking. Needless to say she was in tears from the shock of what happened.
It could have been worse, but it has put a damper on an otherwise happy holiday.

Keep your wits about you and try not to look like a tourist/mark.

Back