Round 2 of the Photography Competition - RESULTS

S

Steve

The results are in and have been verified and checked. Round two of the photography competition has been won with a clear majority by Mr feeson. Congratulations buddy. Second place goes to one of our new members, Gary Bagshawe and Mr Steep takes a well deserved third.

Below is the complete list of final positions, where two members have ended up with the same total I have placed the member with the highest place vote/s above the other. As Mr feeson has gain a clear majority this has meant that many worthy entries have missed out on points, blame him ;)

Congratulations to the three winners, and to all the people that have entered. Remember it’s not the winning that really counts; it’s the taking part and improving your photography that matters the most.

Now is the time to consider all the pictures and offer everybody that entered some thoughts on their photographs. Feedback is essential to improving.

Mr feeson has the privilege of choosing the subject for round three. Make it a good one sir.

Feeson =35points [smilie=f:

Gary Bagshawe =22points [smilie=s:

Steep =15points [smilie=t:

Gregeff =13points
KenCo1964 =10points
MyPix =9points
Matt =9points
Aeryk01 & Dod = equal placing with 4points
Digital SPG =3points
C.T. =3points
Silkstone & Oz = equal placing with 2points
Adrian & Petemc & Dave = equal placing with 1point

The following people supported the rest but unfortunately for this round did not score any points. Better luck next time guys.

Wazza
PaulB
Dlh
EosD
Ppuga
Stewart

Arkady & Ronny have been disqualified for not voting.

Steve said:
Arkady & Ronny have been disqualified for not voting.

Ooooh tsk tsk ! ;)

Hopefully i will be able to have a go at the next round, as long as work or other commitments dont stuff me up again ! lol

Congratulations to everybody though, even the photos that scored lower (or no) points were flipping excellent ! and some ideas there that i probably wouldnt have thought of !!! :)

well done to Feeson, havnet looked to see what belonged to who....must do better next time though, no votes, shameful!

congratulations to the ' winners '

i think i may have even voted for one or two of you :roll: , lol

well done everyone else, even the non-scorers, as it takes gutz to even put urself up for judging ,

finally, thanks for everyone who voted for my pic of the Sydney Opera house, i'm glad you liked it

MyPix :)

MyPix said:

well done everyone else, even the non-scorers, as it takes gutz to even put urself up for judging ,

finally, thanks for everyone who voted for my pic of the Sydney Opera house, i'm glad you liked it

I think you forgot to thank somebody else? no? :wink:

Steve said:
MyPix said:

I think you forgot to thank somebody else? no? :wink:

Indeed Sir, your efforts don't go unnoticed :).

EosD said:
well done to Feeson, havnet looked to see what belonged to who....must do better next time though, no votes, shameful!

hehe, dont feel bad!! I have no votes on mine too, hehe. Its a shame.

So we will have to do it better next time!!

So, congrats to Feeson!! And the other winners!

let se wich will be the new subject of Round 3. Hope to have better luck next time.

Cheers. :D

I think you forgot to thank somebody else? no? Wink

No Steve - you have enough holidays already, lol!

(Oh ok, thanks for not entering - I guess I got some votes cos of it!)

Many congrats to Feeson on his win - the photo is pin sharp and building design is really abstract yet intruiging.

Picking a few of the others, for no reason and in no particular order:

Dod - the shed is a simple composition but well taken
Gary - the demolition looked kind of super imposed and the background was too overpowering
EOSD - well taken pic but not my cuppa
Aeryk - great vibrancy of colours, but perhaps lacking a focal point?

Anyway, these are all my own opinions and other will probably disagree - it's just my viewpoint. Well done to everyone for having the balls to enter. I will deffo do it again, and in a nervous way I'm looking forward to feedback on mine. I think I know what some of it will be, but bring it on...

Well done everyone. Feeson richly deserved that IMO. I'll try to write up my thoughts about the entries a liitle later. No-one should feel disheartened if they did poorly, there were some great shots there.

Jings Crivvens! 3rd place??? thank you all for the vote of confidence I appreciate it :)

Now I did some critiques before I knew who had taken which shot so I've just added the names. Don't shoot me if I didn't like your shot, I've tried to give positive critisism throughout.

---

Shot 1 Arkady, the wood door and latch. I like this shot as a photograph particularly once I'd downloaded it and viewed it in ps elements, but, it doesn't say 'architecture' to me. A nice example of the texture of old wood.

Shot 2 Aeryk01, I very nearly voted for this one, it is a very good example of over the top architecture, the architect is obviously colour blind :)

Shot 3 Adrian, This one says more 'abstract' to me, I like the way you can see the other office block through the tunnel of the foreground one, it gave a good sense of depth to the image, not so sure the pink thing helps the shot.

Shot 4 CT, beautiful building, I'm always fascinated by victorian buildings, the figure on top of the arch has so much life in it. Nice shot but I felt there were better ones this time round.

Shot 5 Wazza, is this in Brighton or somewhere? I'm sure I've seen it in real life. I don't think the tree branches in the foreground help your shot and a different angle might have accentuated the buildings' eccentricity.

Shot 6 Dave, Nice sky but the building is very dull, there's nothing to say "hey! look at me" there.

Shot 7 Ronny, gives me vertigo! Would the same shot taken on the corner showing two sides have worked better?

Shot 8 Silkstone, seems flat and dull, I don't think you did the church justice with that shot though not having seen the whole building I can't tell for sure.

Shot 9 Matt, My vote for third place, there's a huge array of designs here from 'normal' to almost popeye. What let it down slightly was the wasteground on the left and that the image was really too small to do justice to all the elements in it.

Shot 10 Dod, I don't know what to make of this shot, I doesn't seem to fit into the theme from my point of view and seems very soft/out of focus with no 'catch' to it.

Shot 11 Steep, what can I say, brilliant ;) ahem, no. This is Eden Court Theatre in Inverness in case anyone wondered.

Shot 12 Petemc, Could have done with some perspective adjustments on the cathederal and needs rotating slightly (going by the cylinder thing in the foreground)

Shot 13 Gregeff, my second place vote, a very vibrant shot full of life and shows the use of modern materials in building very well.

Shot 14 Gary Bagshawe, very dark and apocalyptic shot this one but still a bit flat I thought.

Shot 15 KenCo1964, shows a lot of the building elements and the stone bannister slashing up to the right and into the image really drags you into it but there's not much there when you get in. Sharp and well exposed but not interesting enough to take a place from some of the others.

Shot 16 Paul B, can't see the architecture for the trees and the shot appears to be out of focus. I don't know if you could have got a better angle on the buildings?

Shot 17 Dlh, Good use of toning and light but it like some of the others doesn't say architecture.

Shot 18 Digital SPG, The blown highlights and slightly soft look to the background buildings spoil this shot I think, though it's a cracker of the wheel.

Shot 19 Feeson, the winner for me, very interesting angle, leads the eye into the image and the building looks very unusual, the elements here work well together to make a good photograph.

Shot 20 EosD, is it just me, or are many of the shots this month a bit soft and flat looking? I like the lines here, the building flows round with the river well but the edge distortion spoils the effect a bit.

Shot 21 MyPix, This shot was very close to third place imo, it's well set up and well exposed but greyscale left it lifeless I think.

Shot 22 Ppuga, shows the building elements well but as a photograph it just didn't appeal to me.

Shot 23 Oz, The windmill has a lot of potential but it looks lifeless, if it's a working mill a tiny bit of motion blur in the vanes would do wonders for the shot and concentrate more on the mill and include less of the trees to the left.

Shot 24 Stewart, The sloping roof leads well into the image but the building itself doesn't have a lot going for it, maybe a larger shot would have been able to shot it to better advantage.

wow Steep. Excelent comments on all the pictures!! I agree almost in everyone.

And I totally agree with mine, as a photo doesn't appeal, after I send it, I keep thinking that this wasn't a good one, but i want to enter Round 2 anyway hehe, so there it is hehe. Thanks for the comment. ;)

Well done Feeson, thanks for the critique Steep. :) I was trying to get something different from all the expected building shots but it doesn't work as well as it could, a straight black and white and cutting down that tree would help. ;)

I almost forgot, Big thanks to Steve for being so efficient again!

Steep, thanks for the comments, the building is actually a round, it was quiet hard to it to look right due it being a wide angle shot, i had to level it up cos my camera shoots horizons off-level *cough*

EosD said:
I almost forgot, Big thanks to Steve for being so efficient again!

Steep, thanks for the comments, the building is actually a round, it was quiet hard to it to look right due it being a wide angle shot, i had to level it up cos my camera shoots horizons off-level *cough*

Is that in Maidstone EosD ?

Looks like a building i saw there a few weeks ago ! :)

EosD said:
i had to level it up cos my camera shoots horizons off-level *cough*

Mine has that problem too :)

certainly is! Down by the river, SteveG,(digital SPG)should know it too....tis a funny bugger!

:shock: flippin eck! silky just told me, I thought it was his strange sense of humor at it again.

Thanks to all.

Steep said:
Shot 23 Oz, The windmill has a lot of potential but it looks lifeless, if it's a working mill a tiny bit of motion blur in the vanes would do wonders for the shot and concentrate more on the mill and include less of the trees to the left.[/size]

Hi Steep

Thanks for the feedback. It is a working mill, but wasn't running at the time I took the pictures. I thought the tree on the on the left might balance the height of the windmill, but having done a tighter crop just now, I see what you mean and think my entry would have deffo benefitted from it. I've also tried a slight motion blur, but it doesn't quite look right to me, if I'm honest,

Cheers, Oz

Big well done to the winners and everyone who submitted and thanks to the voters as well. Hurry up with the next theme so i can get planning. 8)

feeson said:
:shock: flippin eck! silky just told me, I thought it was his strange sense of humor at it again.

Thanks to all.

Get your thinking cap on and choose a new subject for round 3 !!!! :LOL:

Well done the top 3, Amazing shots and I'm so glad you guys won. :)
I got a whole point which made me joint with cyKey, so that makes me feel better :)

Arkady.

What a fantastic shot. As an exercise in texture it's superb - you can feel that handle! It just doesn't say Buildings and Architecture (B&A henceforth)

Aeryk.

A nice picture of a pretty building, lacking in a focal point I thought. That heavy frame is also a strong hint as to who the author mght be - it's becoming a bit of a trademark Aeryk (wink).

Adrian

My choice for 3rd place. Bold composition and I liked the strong use of pink in the foreground.

CT

Well it's a detail from Walall Town Hall which is an incredibly OTT gothic building in that curious pinkish sandstone.

Wazza

Again a nice picture of a pretty building. I think you had to try and convey a bit more than that to be in the running.

Dave

Technically good shot with a curious blue cast unless it's actually that colour. The composition didn't quite work for me .

Ronny.

Again a technically good shot of the Eiffel Tower which has been done by just about everybody. It's a shot of the Eiffel Tower which doesn't say B&A. I have to keep reminding myself that that's the theme,

Silkstone.

The shot just didn't stand out enough in this company. Sorry mate.

Matt.

My 2nd place choice. It says B&A on a grand scale as well as being a beautifully exposed shot, the better for being taken while there was still some light.

Dod

Interesting picture, I can see your argument that it fulflls the brief perhaps. Stickingthe shed right in the middleof the picture didn't help it.

Steep

I liked it a lot. Is that a sepia treatment?

Petemc

I'd never have sussed this as being Pete's work - it's so far removed from his usual style. The converging verticals could have been corrected pete and the shot just lacked a bit of punch.

Gregeff

Nice shot. I thought I was looking into the rigging of a sailing ship at first!

Gary Bagshawe

This was a great idea and I came close to voting for it. The problem for me was that the sky was so contrasty and obviously manipulated in relation to the foreground which lacked punch. The horizon looked particularly dodgy. Better PS skills could have made much more of this shot.

KenCo1964.

This was a classy shot using subtle textures and subded colours. I'd never have sussed Ken for this one which shows just how much he's improving. The composition was a problem for me with the foreground balcony almost barring your eye from continuing into the shot and lacking a focal point beyond the foreground

Paul B

This shot sums up the difficulty of architectural photography. If you try to encompass the whole building it's difficult to convey the scale of it. It's interesting that the shots which have done well have isolated some feature of the building - with the exception of Matt who's gone further back and encompassed the big picture.

Dlh

Different and brave. LOL

Digital SPG

Another guy with a style all his own who turns in some great stuff. This shot says 'Big Wheel' more than B&A which just goes to show how difficult this theme was.Great shot though.

Feeson.

A cracking surrealist shot, which screams B&A. A thoroughly deserved winner.

EosD

Technically good shot lacking a bit of imagination?

MyPix

A nice shot and in view of his recent travels, I pretty well guessed the author. The horizon is slightly off level but it's a classy shot.

Ppuga

Technically good shot, a bit sombre perhaps and not different enough compared to the competition.

Oz

Nice pic of a windmill Oz. LOL

Stewart

A noble attempt to be different. A decent sky could have made SO much difference to this shot.

Well done everyone. There wasn't a bad shot in there and the standard was excellent.

I have a serious question for all the members.

As one of the admin team (me ;) ) has to organise and run each round of the competition it has meant that I didn’t enter. Would anyone have any problems with me entering the next round of the competition in exactly the same way as everyone else.

Obviously you would have to trust me not to vote for my own entry and not to fix the scores but apart from that small point everything should be ok, yes? :LOL:

Seriously if anyone has any objections at all…please post them.

I have a serious objection. You should be banned from all competitions.

Just kidding mate. How can anyone seriously expect you to put the time into this that you do and forego the fun of entering?

Steve said:
I have a serious question for all the members.

As one of the admin team (me ;) ) has to organise and run each round of the competition it has meant that I didn’t enter. Would anyone have any problems with me entering the next round of the competition in exactly the same way as everyone else.

Obviously you would have to trust me not to vote for my own entry and not to fix the scores but apart from that small point everything should be ok, yes? :LOL:

Seriously if anyone has any objections at all…please post them.

No objection at all. Your photography has impressed me no end, and if entering some of it in the next competition helps raise my game a bit, that's a good thing :).

IanC_UK said:
I dont have a problem to be honest, could a poll be setup for the votes ? that way there could be no accusations of fixing etc ?

Nope unfortunately not as each member would only be allowed one vote in a forum poll and there is no way to check who has voted for what, everyone could vote for their own and that would make the whole thing pointless.

If you think about it now I could be fixing the scores but I have nothing to gain by doing that now or in the future. Winning by cheating is a hollow victory with no honour.

Steve said:
IanC_UK said:
I dont have a problem to be honest, could a poll be setup for the votes ? that way there could be no accusations of fixing etc ?

Nope unfortunately not as each member would only be allowed one vote in a forum poll and there is no way to check who has voted for what, everyone could vote for their own and that would make the whole thing pointless.

If you think about it now I could be fixing the scores but I have nothing to gain by doing that now or in the future. Winning by cheating is a hollow victory with no honour.

Wasnt suggesting there would be any fixing mate, just trying to pre-empt objections ! :)

Why not Steve? Its not like there is a cash prize at the end of every month :D
If your putting in the work you may as well have some of the fun, your honest go for it :wink:

And anyway even if you voted for your own shot it's just one -vote or am I missing something? :?

CT said:
And anyway even if you voted for your own shot it's just one -vote or am I missing something? :?

Good point ! If you are only allowed one vote even if you vote for your own pic, you would still only get one vote ? Unless you got to everybody else ! ;) then that would be norty ! :)

IanC_UK said:
Wasnt suggesting there would be any fixing mate, just trying to pre-empt objections ! :)

No, I wasn't suggesting that you where, just pointing out what could happen. If everyone agrees I could post all the votes submitted to the next round as well, that way everyone could check who has voted for what and everything would be transparent.

Although any fiddling would be apparent it may put some people off as they may not wish others to see which they voted for?

Nothing is ever straightforward but I would like to keep things as simple and fair as possible.

No objections from me matey.

You might find you've got a bit of competition now though, some great images this round.

IanC_UK said:
CT said:

Good point ! If you are only allowed one vote even if you vote for your own pic, you would still only get one vote ? Unless you got to everybody else ! ;) then that would be norty ! :)

No the problem is that EVERYONE could vote for their own if it was done in a poll therefore everyone could end up with the same scores and the comp could be a draw with everyone holding first position. Unless you mean me vote for myself under the current system, in which case that comes back to you trusting me?

Back