Royal Albert Hall Photography

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

Does anyone have experience of shooting inside the Royal Albert Hall? I'm going for the Proms this weekend and hoping to take some snaps.

I would assume a telephoto is a no-no, but do they frown on DSLR's generally?

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience of shooting inside the Royal Albert Hall? I'm going for the Proms this weekend and hoping to take some snaps.

I would assume a telephoto is a no-no, but do they frown on DSLR's generally?

I think they have a no photos policy, I am pretty sure I've seen the notices when walking around inside. Doesnt it say on their website/tickets. Probably/Possibly you might get away with a compact, no flash shots though obviously as they are no worse than a phone these days. The other people around you might object if you distract them and ask the security people to stop you, is it worth it?

Hi, There's usually a no photography policy in there unless you have prior permission which can be a bit difficult to get. Hope this helps.

Photography is not allowed or, to be more correct, cameras and audio and video equipment are not allowed. They also ask that mobile phones are turned off.

Dave

I've been to several concerts in the last few years (granted before I bought my Nikon) and I've never had a bag searched or been told to stop. I'm off there to see Gloria Estefan (!) in a few months and the Nikon is definitely coming!

A lot of places over here, especially the more known, upper end halls in Dublin for example, have a no-camera policy. But I have taken a dslr plus small lens in to shows. Once you are discreet, and don't bother anyone, don't use flash!! don't use a large lens ... you should be fine. though there's always that risk an usher will spot and come for you. In that case, put it away with no fuss and they'll leave you alone. It's not the cold war or anything, they can't punish you for it.

Think 50mm prime, go wide on aperture and high on ISO [for the lighting] and take the shots when the performance is at it's loudest, during music sections - to avoid that embarrassing "click/slap" of a dslr when all goes quiet. And you will have much cropping later. that's really your best chance of not being noticed.

Last edited:
Depends upon the hirer not the hall. I once had a double page spread printed from a gig at "Kensington Village Hall" (RAH), and at one gig there Steve asked for people to flash them as it made them feel like pop stars! When we had a raffle at the half way break, staff had never known it before!
The last gig there, an usher approached me and said "No photography", till I pointed out that on their very own Webb site it stated "This hirer allows photography"!

Went to see Jools Holland at the Albert a couple of years ago. I took a Sony NEX-5 and took some snaps. Well everyone else had phones and were flashing away. I guess it depends on what the concert is?

Well. As it turns out there wasn't a problem this time!

It was for the Doctor Who Prom, got some cracking shots of Daleks and Cybermen!

Back