Royal Mail and lithium batteries

The problem is they are both right but arguing slightly different points. My post #8 had a copy of the Royal Mail T&Cs for personal customers (there are T&Cs for business customers too but Merv was talking from a personal sale on ebay in the OP), it's best to point people towards them instead of arguing on here on a Saturday afternoon.

But don't BOTH sets of T's&C's prohibet posting of separate Lithium batteries then ?

For Jim - I've quoted the part that proves you wrong, from here :- http://www.royalmail.com/business/help/sending/prohibited-goods

Lithium ion/polymer/metal/alloy batteries are allowed when sent with or contained in/connected to an electronic device, but are subject to packaging, volume and quantity restrictions.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp !

I agree - but not sure whether you're agreeing with me that they "shouldn't" be able to do it unless not delivering via RM ;)

For Jim - I've quoted the part that proves you wrong, from here :- http://www.royalmail.com/business/help/sending/prohibited-goods

Lithium ion/polymer/metal/alloy batteries are allowed when sent with or contained in/connected to an electronic device, but are subject to packaging, volume and quantity restrictions.
No it doesn't - I've consistently referred to the section/fact/rule/regulation that states that posting of "batteries only" is not allowed - I've never as far as I can see disputed the fact that it's OK to post a very limited number of lithium cells with either In or with the electronic equipment they are designed for....

But don't BOTH sets of T's&C's prohibet posting of separate Lithium batteries then ?
Looks like they do both prohibit sending lithium batteries on their own via Royal Mail but you can still send batteries contained in or with an electronic device packaged properly (having now read another set of T&Cs on a Saturday afternoon :( ). I was trying to not muddy the waters in case they were slightly different as Merv was talking about a personal sale.

Let's leave this argument here and enjoy the rest of the afternoon before the Mods come and close this thread down.

Last edited:
This you tube video shows what happens to a lithium battery if short circuited. Imagine that on an aircraft.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HCGtRgBUHX8

Thanks for the link. Sobering thought that such a fire could be caused by something we take for granted every time we pick up a camera. I always leave the plastic cover on my camera batteries but it was as much to keep the connections clean as it was to stop the terminals short circuiting.

I don't know why a battery included in a box with a camera could be any safer than the same battery with the aforementioned cover packaged in a box. Seems a poor decision but for the present time we're stuck with that decision and just have to get on with life.

Telephoned Collectplus yesterday and they confirmed they will not, and are not allowed to, handle lithium batteries
Royal Mail yesterday gave me their booklet, ref RMDG11 which came into force on 12 January 2015

Can't understand why people get so hot under the collar in what should be a friendly discussion. I have always looked on TP as a place to meet like-minded people in a friendly atmosphere. Beginning to doubt my wisdom
:beer:

You all need to learn to read properly then, it has already been posted in this very thread.

But just for you: LINK

Again... if you package your batteries correctly and inform the post office, who will attach the relevant label to the package, then you can send batteries in the post

Your link clearly states that lithium batteries can only be sent in a package with an electronic device. It goes on to be explicit about sending batteries on their own;

Lithium metal/alloy batteries sent in isolation are prohibited. Please see www.royalmail.com/prohibitedgoods

How well they are packaged is irrelevant. They are prohibited. So unless you're in the habit of buying electronic items to put in the envelope with your second hand batteries, you cannot send them by RM. The staff in your local PO are breaking their own regulations, and one cannot assume that the same error will be made everywhere.

FFS! go and find a different thread and someone else to troll!

Seems there are to many people this thread trying to prove a point that they forget how to read

Not sure why you're getting so upset - I'm not trolling, merely trying to remove ambiguity where there should be none. The PO rules are clear and unambiguous.

You have yet to show exactly what statement supports your view, compared with the direct quote from your own link which contradicts you. You say you CAN send batteries in the post, post office say you can't. The key word is "prohibited" - not "if you package it right" not "if you ask nicely" but "prohibited".

If I'm wrong, please cut and paste the statement in your link that says batteries can be sent if correctly packaged. And then you can have a good gloat.

Edit: are you referring to batteries sent WITH electronic items as opposed to separately? It isn't clear from any of your posts (I've gone through the thread again to make sure). If so, you are right under certain conditions, but definitely not correct for batteries sent in isolation. Perhaps this is where the misunderstanding has arisen?

Last edited:
I have never, not once, said anything about sending batteries in isolation - Please show me where I have, you wont be able to because I haven't

I said your batteries would need to be packaged correctly and I linked to the page that gives you the information about how to package correctly

Like I said to many people so set on proving a point that they forget how to read and I really should not have to be hand holding them though what I have said

I have never, not once, said anything about sending batteries in isolation - Please show me where I have, you wont be able to because I haven't

I said your batteries would need to be packaged correctly and I linked to the page that gives you the information about how to package correctly

Like I said to many people so set on proving a point that they forget how to read and I really should not have to be hand holding them though what I have said

OK, it's as I thought as per my edit (which I assume you hadn't read before posting).
Yes, you can post it if it is sent with an electronic item, but most people would not consider that "packaging" but "contents". I see your point, but the vast majority of people reading it would completely misconstrue what you are saying. To put it another way: you were also making a statement about a narrow subset of situations without clarifying that.
to put it yet another way your quote "I said you could send batteries if PACKAGED CORRECTLY" is implying that the correct packaging is the only impediment to posting batteries, whereas we both know that not to be the case.

Joke: Usually one decides what to send, then how to send it, not "ooh, I need to post a battery, better pop out and buy a camera to package it in" ;)

So yes, if it the battery is being posted with an electronic item AND you meet the other requirement, you can post it. Your comment sonly referred to packaging and informing staff, but omitted the most important factor - you need to be posting something else with it!

The fact that you've continued in this vein when you could easily have clarified your point suggests you've been playing some kind of legalese/word game for your own amusement. I hope you enjoyed yourself, but I find your accusations of trolling rather laughable under the circumstances.

Whatever

Typical troll response

Like I said find someone else to play with

Nothing more to add

OK, it's as I thought as per my edit (which I assume you hadn't read before posting).
Yes, you can post it if it is sent with an electronic item, but most people would not consider that "packaging" but "contents". I see your point, but the vast majority of people reading it would completely misconstrue what you are saying. To put it another way: you were also making a statement about a narrow subset of situations without clarifying that.
to put it yet another way your quote "I said you could send batteries if PACKAGED CORRECTLY" is implying that the correct packaging is the only impediment to posting batteries, whereas we both know that not to be the case.

Joke: Usually one decides what to send, then how to send it, not "ooh, I need to post a battery, better pop out and buy a camera to package it in" ;)

So yes, if it the battery is being posted with an electronic item AND you meet the other requirement, you can post it. Your comment sonly referred to packaging and informing staff, but omitted the most important factor - you need to be posting something else with it!

The fact that you've continued in this vein when you could easily have clarified your point suggests you've been playing some kind of legalese/word game for your own amusement. I hope you enjoyed yourself, but I find your accusations of trolling rather laughable under the circumstances.

very good I enjoyed reading that and its quite true :)

I'm not the person trying to provoke an argument with intemperate language and name-calling.

Let's everyone take a deep breath now, OK? I can't remember the last time I saw people get so upset about stamps. :D

Last edited:
Is this some hip thing I don't know about? :pompous:

Edit: ahh, Googled it now. Glad I used my phone and not my work computer!

Tactical Fire Fighting Truck indeed ;) Although I don't feel that's helping to calm things down. :whistle:

Last edited:
Telephoned Collectplus yesterday and they confirmed they will not, and are not allowed to, handle lithium batteries

That's odd. I bought a lithium phone battery from Amazon recently. I can't remember who delivered it, but I had to return it and it went back via collectplus. I had to print out a special warning label for the outside of the package.

Back