Royal Photographic Society Membership - Is it worth it?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I have been toying with the idea of getting a membership for the RPS for a while now, but despite a lot of thought, I still cannot fully justify forking out £99/year on becoming a member.

So, my question is, is it worth it and why??

All feedback/insight/suggestions from present or past members truly appreciated.

Thank you.

I've thought about going for the LRPS distinction..

From what I can gather, you need to submit a panel of technically perfect photos that work together as a group and/or have a cohesive theme. This doesn't fit in with my eclectic style - for instance, I'll happily over or under-expose a shot to achieve the look I want, even though this would be a "failure" in the eyes of the panel.

I'd end up going out and shooting a bunch of boring pictures with "correct" exposure, framing etc. For me it would become a meaningless academic exercise in technical prowess, rather than recognition of my style of photography.

Would the effort and expense be worth a few letters after my name? I have to say probably not.

A.

It's something I've wondered about as well.

It's the "challenge" of the qualification that seems to be the draw for me; giving me something to aim for to push my photography along, and (hopefully) being able to think to myself afterwards "yeah, I did it".

I have been looking at this as well. Not because I think I am good enough to get it yet, but more because i am thinking of taking a distance learning course and this would be a nice thing to go for at the end of it.

Are you sure that there has to be a cohesive theme to the panel? I don't see a theme on the second panel shown at the following page:

http://www.leopalmerphotography.co.uk/RPS Licentiateship.htm

Also, you don't have to have membership in order to submit for distinction. You can be awarded the distinction and THEN get your membership (the distinction is not active until you get the membership).

Having said all of that I suppose the main benefits are

a) if you are going to take part in events and meetings
b) impress customers if you are a commercial photographer (ok the less cynical way of putting this would be to say that it gives your customers comfort in that fact that you have a proven ability to a certain level)

Just my opinion.
Dub

Absolutely spot on. (y)

From what I can gather, you need to submit a panel of technically perfect photos that work together as a group and/or have a cohesive theme. This doesn't fit in with my eclectic style - for instance, I'll happily over or under-expose a shot to achieve the look I want, even though this would be a "failure" in the eyes of the panel.

I'd end up going out and shooting a bunch of boring pictures with "correct" exposure, framing etc. For me it would become a meaningless academic exercise in technical prowess, rather than recognition of my style of photography.

Would the effort and expense be worth a few letters after my name? I have to say probably not.

A.

its got to mean something to you...it depends on your mind set
good photography isnt about rps membership but can be a reflection of it if you can pass the panel's opinions of your work

better to spend the cash on ...film???...or equipment and petrol to get you out and about to do photoshoots

Im with you on that one mate, id also want to see the work of the people judging me before they judge it.

A.

I have been taking more serious amateur photographs for about two years. In that time I have learnt more from my fellow photographers at a camera club, on forums and on photographic holidays.

As I have learnt more it has become clear that the rules are important but can be broken when you want as an earlier poster suggested with over exposed shots.

I joined the RPS at Focus because of those friends around me that are also members and what useful help they have mangaged to get from their membership. If I am right about the LRPS which is the first level, it does not have to be a cohesive set of pictures but must gel as a panel. So as a simple example if you had an animal in the bottom left looking to the right then an animal should be in the bottom right looking left.

So you can learn about the basic and more intense rules of photography for and as part of your membership but you can of course take any photograph you like outside of the society for your own use.

Not facts, just my thoughts.

Regards

Chris

If you get famous enough.... they give you an Hon Fellowship.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Thought I might just stick in an application and in the unlikely event I get somewhere it might be worth the membership fee?!

Is anyone on these boards actually a member?

Although I'm heavily involved in club photography joining the RPS has never be top of my list of things to do. Having to pay an annual subscription to keep any distinctions you gain also prevents me from joining.

Back