Rucksack for 70-200 attached.

Edit My Images
No
I currently use a think tank retro 20 with my 70-200 attached and a few lenses. I want to change to a rucksack/sling bag as I find for longer periods the sidebag is getting on my ***s :) I like the think tank stuff because it doesn't scream camera bag, but right now I would consider anything that takes the 70-200 attached to camera and maybe a lens or two as well.

Someone please help me narrow down my search :)

Last edited:
I currently use a think tank retro 20 with my 70-200 attached and a few lenses. I want to change to a rucksack/sling bag as I find for longer periods the sidebag is getting on my ***s :) I like the think tank stuff because it doesn't scream camera bag, but right now I would consider anything that takes the 70-200 attached to camera and maybe a lens or two as well.

Someone please help me narrow down my search :)

I've got trip to Cuba coming up in a couple of weeks and have been pondering this as well over the last few weeks. Thought about slings and holsters, got quite confused over options. Main camera bag obviously being left at home, just wanting to take my D750 with 24-120 lens and a few Lee accessories in my rucksack.

After much thought I plumped for this Tenba BYOB 13. It may even fit in my man satchel as well. It comes from Wex tomorrow so can let you know how well it's suited to a rucksack.

I also have Flipside 400 with 7D2 / 100-400 Mk2 attached although it could take a longer lens attached. It also holds 7D Mk1, 10-22, 15-85 and 1.4x extender and still has abit of space left over. Great backpack but possibly a bit big. Next size down, 300?, would probably be ideal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, I will start some research from that. Quite like the look of the transit 350 AW too.

I particularly like the LowePro "Flipside" series for their security when being carried.
I use the Flipside 300 for a smaller kit or the Flipside 400AW for when I need to carry more stuff.
The only drawback to the 300 is that it does not have the "All Weather" rain cover like the 400AW does, but it will certainly take an SLR with a 70-200 attached, plus two or three additional lenses.

Lowepro Mini Trekker is an ideal bag for the 70-200+body and has the capacity for a few more lenses and accessories,
well worth checking out,they also come with AW cover....

As nice as those flipsides all are, I think I have ruled them out. Taking the pack off every time I think would get on my nerves. Brilliant idea for security but I think it would wear on me after a time. The mini trekkers nice but I don't think they make it anymore, would have be the bay or second hand :) I think I'm leaning towards the lowepro protactic 350 aw or lowepro transit 350aw. I will take a look at manfroto bags too first.

As nice as those flipsides all are, I think I have ruled them out. Taking the pack off every time I think would get on my nerves. Brilliant idea for security but I think it would wear on me after a time. The mini trekkers nice but I don't think they make it anymore, would have be the bay or second hand :) I think I'm leaning towards the lowepro protactic 350 aw or lowepro transit 350aw. I will take a look at manfroto bags too first.
If you're carrying it on your back as it's designed, I don't see how you can get into any backpack without taking it off...

If you're carrying it on your back as it's designed, I don't see how you can get into any backpack without taking it off...

Yeah I see what you are saying, I just would prefer one like this:

http://www.lowepro.co.uk/products-protactic/protactic-350-aw_ct260pd319.htm

or this

http://www.lowepro.co.uk/products-transit/transit-backpack-350-aw_ct267pd298.htm

Where you can unhook one shoulder, swing the pack round and withdraw the camera without placing on the floor :) Kind of the best of both worlds of carrying and access of a sidebag or sling.

Where you can unhook one shoulder, swing the pack round and withdraw the camera without placing on the floor :) Kind of the best of both worlds of carrying and access of a sidebag or sling.

you can do that with the flipside 400 (or 300 probably), leave the waist belt fastened, slide the shoulder straps off and turn it round on your waist until the bag is at the front. Then the opening is on top for taking the camera out, changing lenses etc. I find it handy.

Yeah like Phil says you don't need to take the flip side off its a very clever design. Barring a sling its the best design I've seen for not needing to remove it. A sling is great for ease of access but I find once your gear reaches a certain weight they become really cumbersome and kill my back.

you can do that with the flipside 400 (or 300 probably), leave the waist belt fastened, slide the shoulder straps off and turn it round on your waist until the bag is at the front. Then the opening is on top for taking the camera out, changing lenses etc. I find it handy.

Ah, thanks I will try to find some youtube videos, if only I had a shop where I could see my choices :D
75 miles to Wex from here might be worth the visit to compare and buy :)

Yeah like Phil says you don't need to take the flip side off its a very clever design. Barring a sling its the best design I've seen for not needing to remove it. A sling is great for ease of access but I find once your gear reaches a certain weight they become really cumbersome and kill my back.

Yeah I love my retrospective 20 with a body, lens and flash but anymore than that and my back hurts after a full day :(

I think the "In action" video of the Flipside 400 from Lowepro is quite misleading.
Most of the time they show laying it down to access the equipment and when they demonstrate the "hang it round the waist technique", the model is supporting the bag on her leg, which looks really unbalanced.
I've never used the "spin it round the waist" method of access due to the weight of my outfit.
If I put it down things are much safer for changing lenses (which is usually why I'm opening it anyway) and you can use it as a working area when swapping things around.

One important advantage of the "flipside" access is that, if you have to put the bag down in a wet or dirty area, you don't have that area against your body when you put the bag back on again, which is what happens with a conventional acccess backpack.

Yeah I see what you are saying, I just would prefer one like this:

http://www.lowepro.co.uk/products-protactic/protactic-350-aw_ct260pd319.htm

or this

http://www.lowepro.co.uk/products-transit/transit-backpack-350-aw_ct267pd298.htm

Yes.
That ProTactic looks really good in the demo video.
However, the side access is only useful to pull out a camera ready to go with the lens you need already fitted.
As soon as you need to start swapping lenses you need full access, which means taking it off.
I mostly need access to my bag if I'm swapping lenses, so it's no problem to slip it off, and it provides a working area when I'm changing things around.
They show clipping those accessory pockets onto the back of the pack, but as soon as you lay it down, all the weight is supported by what's in the accessory pockets - not a great design IMHO, although how many people are going to add the pockets anyway? If you need to start adding extra pockets it means you bought a bag that's too small.

Really like that new style of divider with the fold-away velcro.
I frequently swap stuff around in my bags and I find it a real fiddle to get the dividers straight.

One thing I certainly DON'T need to lug around with me when I'm shooting is a lap-top computer.

The mini trekkers nice but I don't think they make it anymore,

I've one and it's a great backpack and yes, you're correct it's discontinued now. The new / replacement version is the Pro Runner and I seem to remember they do a couple of different sizes...

I have a Gem rucksack the "Tardis" of bags, a very well constructed compartment carries my Nikon D700 with 300mm attached as well as space for smaller lenses. Built very much on the lines of Lowepro trekkers... An economy buy, but very, very good waterproof construction recommend 100%...See Amazon.

The flipside series are great bags. I've been using a flipside 400 for a while, I've always loved the turning it around on the waist belt and opening the back up. The bag then acts as a table, you can put one lens in whilst you attach the other lens, no putting the bag down and it's like having an extra hand. The used to get a 300mm f2.8 attached to a DSLR plus a 70-200 f2.8 in one. The new flipside sport would be the flipside I would now go for as it has the removable insert allowing it to be used as a standard backpack.

Since getting a larger lens that no longer fits I've moved to a f stop tilopa just because of the similar back opening design, although sadly the waist belt can't do the same. I like being able to put the front of the bag down and not have the camera opening or the harness any where near the mud. I still have the flipside as my landscape/zoo day out bag for when I don't take the big lens.

I have a number of bags, but the one I tend to use most often if it's just one body and either the 70-200 f2.8 or 300 f4 is my Think Tank Streetwalker. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-backpack.aspx

It's very comfortable and you can fit another smaller lens in as well. I now also have the Flipside Sport 20L which is a bit bigger and can take a laptop/iPad. This is better if I'm taking a larger tripod and other bits....

Last edited:
One important advantage of the "flipside" access is that, if you have to put the bag down in a wet or dirty area, you don't have that area against your body when you put the bag back on again, which is what happens with a conventional acccess backpack.

Some good points and info, thanks (and to everyone else for the feedback) I can see totally what you are saying and that's great food for thought. Looking at a few videos I think I'm down to one of two. The transit 350aw or one of the flipsides. Ideally I would like to use the bag as hand luggage too when I go on holiday with a smaller lens and body. Would you say the Flipside 400 is too big to be used as hand luggage?

One thing I certainly DON'T need to lug around with me when I'm shooting is a lap-top computer.

Same but as above I would quite like the room for an ipad and a few bits and bobs to be used as carry on hand luggage on holiday. I'd never have my gear go in an aircraft hold even in a peli case.

Sorry, I've not flown with the Flipside 400, but maybe someone else can answer that.
I'd be interested in knowing the answer myself, since I intend to take a few trips at some point.
I would have thought that it would be small enough for cabin baggage, and I too would never trust camera equipment in the luggage hold.
There's a pocket in the "normal" (back) opening side of the 400 which will easily take a tablet or even a small notebook computer, plus your passport and boarding passes.

The Flipside Sport 40L fits hand luggage specs for most airlines (the cheap ones do have tighter limits though). I actually bought mine for our trip to Canada later this year. I'm still working out how I'm going to get the 150-600 in it. With an 8kg weight limit that's almost the lens on its own !! :rolleyes:

Sorry, I've not flown with the Flipside 400, but maybe someone else can answer that.
I'd be interested in knowing the answer myself, since I intend to take a few trips at some point.
I would have thought that it would be small enough for cabin baggage, and I too would never trust camera equipment in the luggage hold.
There's a pocket in the "normal" (back) opening side of the 400 which will easily take a tablet or even a small notebook computer, plus your passport and boarding passes.
Officially it's just outside of the dimension when I was last planning to fly, but it's best to double check the official size and allowed cabin baggage size of your airline yourself rather than rely on what is said on here. If you didn't fill the front pocket or pack the camera bag so it's bursting at the seams it's likely it would fit in their measuring cage dimensions. Sometimes the issue is weight rather than just the dimension limit. If you don't want it going in the hold make you comply with everything and book priority boarding if it's available.

Back