Rules of composition??

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
O.K. so there is the rule of thirds, diagonal lines and converging lines.

What else can be used to create interest in an image - my friday brain doesn't want to fire up...:bonk:

:D

Thanks for helping!(y)

Vodka

Z or S shapes, concentric circles, reccessing horizontals, colour patterns, natural frames and repeating shapes are all classic compositional favourites but not as good as Puz's idea. ;)

Forgetting the rules somtimes works, depending on the subject etc. or purposly breaking them... in an interesting way!

examples would be good :)

of male models is fine by me ;) :p

but photos needed along with explaination.

Forgetting the rules somtimes works, depending on the subject etc. or purposly breaking them... in an interesting way!

Absolutely!
(y)

Problem is I need to give a talk on said subject matter soon and would like to cover most of the known bases!:thinking:

Had a mag somewhere which had a very good article about composition in it BUT FINDING IT!!!

:D

you definately need photos then

Didn't CT do a guide recently?? :thinking: I'll have a look

The rule if turds is very important - if you're image looks **** it probably is ****.

Helpful, ain't I. :D

The basics of Composition are simple...

If you took the shot stood up you should have squatted; if you squatted you should have laid on the floor; if laid (well done) perhaps you should have stood up

NEVER put the subject in the middle - unless it works, in which case it's brill

Use the Rule of 3rds all the time - except where it's better not to

Under/over-exposure is never a good thing - unless appropriate

Apply plenty of contrast/saturation unless it's best not to

Always use the 'right' aperture setting for max/min depth of field

Always use a shutter speed fast enough to stop the action dead, or blur it enormously depending on what you're after

Wide-angle shots are best, unless a telephoto would have been better (or vice versa)

Always set the right white-balance - apart from when you're warming/cooling the image

ISO is easy - set it to something appropriate to all of the above

If in doubt - hand your camera to the nearest kid and ask them to take the shot - you know it makes sense?

Hope that helped?

The basics of Composition are simple...

If you took the shot stood up you should have squatted; if you squatted you should have laid on the floor; if laid (well done) perhaps you should have stood up

NEVER put the subject in the middle - unless it works, in which case it's brill

Use the Rule of 3rds all the time - except where it's better not to

Under/over-exposure is never a good thing - unless appropriate

Apply plenty of contrast/saturation unless it's best not to

Always use the 'right' aperture setting for max/min depth of field

Always use a shutter speed fast enough to stop the action dead, or blur it enormously depending on what you're after

Wide-angle shots are best, unless a telephoto would have been better (or vice versa)

Always set the right white-balance - apart from when you're warming/cooling the image

ISO is easy - set it to something appropriate to all of the above

If in doubt - hand your camera to the nearest kid and ask them to take the shot - you know it makes sense?

Hope that helped?

pmsl - well said :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers JR

Like minds n all

You can't 'beat' the RULES - just muck about with them

Pity speeding cameras don't adopt the same policy!!! But hey - the country needs my £60 right? After all it was dangerous driving along a completely straight open stretch of road at 4pm on a sunny Sunday afternoon with no chance of another car, people, anything in the way at 68mph - 8mph above the safe limit - I accept that!

Just keep it simple - Rule of thirds, perspectives.

ScannedcollegeImage.jpg

perspectives

Thanks again to all who contributed here, sorry I missed this one for a while and sometime my email notifications don't come through very quickly.

Thanks again - especially the helpful ones like Hacker and Diddydave:LOL:

(y)

Back