Rules on travelling with Cameras

Name
mick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, sorry for the total N00B post. However, i'm off on holiday to Canada in september, and was wondering if anyone knows what the current state of play is with taking camera equipment on airplanes, is it ok, or a no-go?

didnt really want it going in the hold and getting lugged about and possibly damaged, so wanted it in my carry-on. With all the current terrorist precations, is this still allowed or are these items for the hold only now?

thanks for your help, just didnt want to get to the airport and look a fool, and i figured one of you well travelled Ladies/Gents would have the answer (y)

I always carry as much photo kit as possible in carry on luggage.

There should be no photo restrictions apart from bag size and weight.

I sometimes put a small tripod and maybe a flashgun (buried deep) in hold luggage. Everything else is carry on.

Doesn't leave much space for stuff you might need on the journey.

Nope, you can travel with them just fine. Standard weight/bag restrictions still apply, obviously. Check the websites of the carrier and airports you'll be travelling from, there's no excuse with information so abundant. I hope the regulations never get strict enough that it can't be hand luggage, because there would be uproar!

One thing to note is that all spare batteries, particularly Li-ion camera/laptop batteries, cannot be put in hold luggage. You have to have them in carry-on (or in your pockets), either in their original sealed packaging, or with their contacts taped over for short circuit prevention. It's a fire safety thing.

ETA: Check with the airports you're flying to/from, and the airline you're flying with. You may be entitled to one carry-on, and one personal item (which can be a laptop or camera bag), but it pays to be sure all stages of your flight allow this.

Last edited:
As above, and check with the airline. I think most of them are sticky about tripods as carry on luggage. I've seen people do this, but I wouldn't assume that you'll get a green light.

One thing to note is that all spare batteries, particularly Li-ion camera/laptop batteries, cannot be put in hold luggage. You have to have them in carry-on (or in your pockets), either in their original sealed packaging, or with their contacts taped over for short circuit prevention. It's a fire safety thing.

really? nobody has ever asked to check whether my battery contacts are taped up to be honest.. :shrug:

really? nobody has ever asked to check whether my battery contacts are taped up to be honest.. :shrug:
It's a US law, effective from 2008, so will likely apply to most/all airlines flying to continental North America.
Nobody has ever asked me either, but I still do it to avoid the risk of security stealing my batteries.

thanks for the information guys,

That was my suspicions anyway, but you know the crazy rules they have been coming out with of late regarding carrying certain liquids etc. onboard. so wasnt sure. Ill double check with the airline too just to be 100%, thanks (y)

It's a US law, effective from 2008, so will likely apply to most/all airlines flying to continental North America.

Yeah, American airports take the whole security screening process to an extreme. The last time I went through Los Angeles, they actually took my laptop off the conveyor belt and sat for ten minutes swabbing it with little cotton swabs - I have no idea what they were looking for, but I frankly felt a little offended. They also make you basically strip down to your bottom layer of clothing - at least in European airports, it's just a matter of removing your jacket, and some airports, like Heathrow, they ask you to remove your footwear if you're wearing boots. But at US airports, you have to take off your shoes (no matter what kind you're wearing), any outer layers of clothing (including jumpers), belts, jewellery, hats, scarves, etc. It's really irritating because it makes the entire process so much slower than it needs to be, and the security people are generally very unfriendly too.

When flying from Birmingham airport every time I take my camera bag and equipment they always swab it yet anyone traveling with me they never get touched.

Flying from Cairns to Tokyo a couple of years ago, we had plane trouble and had to land in Guam (US Territory) we spent 2 nights on the island and when we left, they went through my camera bag with a fine tooth comb, x-ray the bag and contents multiple times, they swabbed absolutely everything, took my bag apart by removing dividers, linings etc ... it took them an hour and half to do all this, when they didn't find anything they then left everything lying on a conveyor and said Thanks for your cooperation. I have flown to the US a couple of times since and nothing, nadda, I haven't even been asked to look in my camera bag, (the same camera bag) the Guam customs guys must have been very bored...

Always carry your valubles on the plane with you, a good airline will allow camera/laptop bag and 1 other.

Enjoy your trip
McShug

I flew into Toronto yesterday from Gatwick, no problems with camera equipment at all, just watch the weights of bags.

Flying from Cairns to Tokyo a couple of years ago, we had plane trouble and had to land in Guam (US Territory) we spent 2 nights on the island and when we left, they went through my camera bag with a fine tooth comb, x-ray the bag and contents multiple times, they swabbed absolutely everything, took my bag apart by removing dividers, linings etc ... it took them an hour and half to do all this, when they didn't find anything they then left everything lying on a conveyor and said Thanks for your cooperation. I have flown to the US a couple of times since and nothing, nadda, I haven't even been asked to look in my camera bag, (the same camera bag) the Guam customs guys must have been very bored...

Always carry your valubles on the plane with you, a good airline will allow camera/laptop bag and 1 other.

Enjoy your trip
McShug

Sounds like an experience. Id rather them spend 2 hours probing my camera bag than certain other areas :LOL:

I flew into Toronto yesterday from Gatwick, no problems with camera equipment at all, just watch the weights of bags.

Good to know, aye, I usually always check the weights on the house scales and make sure they are underweight. (y)

Ive just booked some flights to america for september, from london to los angeles, on the website(virgin atlantic) under baggage it states "small cameras" are allowed.. Any idea what they class as small cameras? I've emailed them asking them, but just wondering if anyone knows anyway? I will most likely have a camera bag with camera, lenses,and spare batteries..

Thanks

Would the company your planing to fly with not be a better place to ask :thinking:

Ive just booked some flights to america for september....

Thanks

I'm currently working in Mexico and on a number of occasions have flown back through the States and they've never bothered me when I've had my cameraand a couple of lenses in my carry on luggage (not that I'd ever put it in my hold luggage!).

Would the company your planing to fly with not be a better place to ask :thinking:

I did ask, i was awaiting confirmation from them, which i knew would take a while, which it did :) and i was directed to their cust service email pages when i rang, so was just hoping someone knew in the mean time; to settle my curiosity lol

I did ask, i was awaiting confirmation from them, which i knew would take a while, which it did :) and i was directed to their cust service email pages when i rang, so was just hoping someone knew in the mean time; to settle my curiosity lol

Sorry, can't help you here but I hope the airline get back to you. Saying "small cameras are allowed" is meaningless. Small compared to what? Large cameras I suppose, but they're not defined either.

There are so many variables here, and letting staff use their discretion is probably going to lead to arguments.

This is wise requirement. About a years ago I was asking staff what are the rules for li-Po batteries, is it allowed to take with me or should leave check in with bags? that time in europe they have no rules about. For RC models batteries looks like explosives, big packages with black and red wires from it :) For my helicopter they are only maybe 100-200g of weight. can give 60Amps constantly and 130Amps in burst. it is 2200mAh at 12volts. If those going to be shorcutted then burried with largage, better even not think about it. I would suggest airlines can make new rules allowing only certain ammount of energy on board per passanger :)

So... tape them well or better tape it and take it with you.

Yeah, American airports take the whole security screening process to an extreme. The last time I went through Los Angeles, they actually took my laptop off the conveyor belt and sat for ten minutes swabbing it with little cotton swabs - I have no idea what they were looking for, but I frankly felt a little offended.

They we're looking for traces of explosives. If you handle explosives then you will get traces on your skin, which will then be passed to whatever stuff you subsequently touch - hence mobile phones and laptops are prime candidates for this swabbing treatment.

I've had my phone and laptop swabbed a few times in the past, and last time I just commented to the guy that I'd had this often happen and that I was curious to know what they were looking for.

I always take ALL my camera gear on with me. It's a bit of a pain going through the scanners as I get searched EVERY time but it's worth it knowing my equipment is nice and safe.

They we're looking for traces of explosives. If you handle explosives then you will get traces on your skin, which will then be passed to whatever stuff you subsequently touch - hence mobile phones and laptops are prime candidates for this swabbing treatment.

I've had my phone and laptop swabbed a few times in the past, and last time I just commented to the guy that I'd had this often happen and that I was curious to know what they were looking for.

I think it also checks for drugs aswell as explosives.

On one flight to Menorca They swabbed my entire camera bag including all the camera lenses (even the glass). I just aske the lady if she would be careful with them and let me to the lens caps.

Worst one I had though was I went away and forgot I'd left a 10mm spanner and a utility knife (with pliers in it) in the camera bag. As it go stopped going through the scanner I suddenly remembered it and I might of pooped myself a bit.

Back