Scotland Rum, Eigg and Muck.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Nope, not a cocktail from last night but some glorious islands off the Scottish West Coast. I've seen some stunners from the area but never been myself.

This year, I have promised myself that I am going to spend some time in some hides in Dumfries, something I've wanted to do for a while now but I've also been thinking about going further afield to my usual Glencoe trips. I researched these islands a little last night and I'm aiming to get to the area this year.

Has anybody ever been? Are there images to be had from the mainland, near Morar or Mallaig or is it worth an island hop? The white sands with the black streaks are what are appealing to me. I'm guessing it's worth an overnighter too? It's about 3.5 hours drive for me, so not scary far.

I know it's a case of getting up there and seeing what is what but if anybody has been there and done it, I'd be intrested in your thoughts.

ta much.

:)

I spent a week on Eigg last year, and 90% of my shots were taken around Laig Bay, although in the middle hours of the day, I explored most of the rest of the island. I thought it was completely worth it. The only issue for you is that ferries are not very frequent, especially outside of the summer, so you'll have to plan carefully. If you don't fancy paying for an overnight stay, camping is quite possible, but there are only a few B&Bs so probably as well to book well in advance. It's a fascinating place, with only about 120 inhabitants, and a model of self-sufficiency.

If it helps, there are some shots from my trip here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidhallett/albums/72157680488485674

I spent a week on Eigg last year, and 90% of my shots were taken around Laig Bay, although in the middle hours of the day, I explored most of the rest of the island. I thought it was completely worth it. The only issue for you is that ferries are not very frequent, especially outside of the summer, so you'll have to plan carefully. If you don't fancy paying for an overnight stay, camping is quite possible, but there are only a few B&Bs so probably as well to book well in advance. It's a fascinating place, with only about 120 inhabitants, and a model of self-sufficiency.

Great shots.
Continuum is a belter.

just remember you will be walking everywhere on the isle of Eigg unless you get the taxi, as cars aren't allowed on the island unless your a resident.

just remember you will be walking everywhere on the isle of Eigg unless you get the taxi, as cars aren't allowed on the island unless your a resident.
True. But bike hire is a good alternative. Just be careful on the downhills.

Walking is good, don't mind that and I'm an ex downhill mountain, biker, although I never did it with 10k+ of gear in a bag on my back. :LOL:

After a week on Eigg last year (good weather - just two days of rain, and midges much less than expected for late June) I'd suggest (as well as the Bay of Laig) Camas Sciotaig, and Beinn Bhuidhe right to the northern tip of the island. I never made it up the Sgurr, but it's on my list.... Quite important to know tide times, as the Bay of Laig is probably best at low tide, while the fantastic sandstone formations to the north of the bay are good at either low or middle tide. It's a place full of atmosphere. And the Rum Cuillin from the mainland? Almost anywhere between Arisaig and Mallaig, with a bit of reccying for foregrounds, (PS you can pre-order food to be collected at the island shop).

Agree about the tides, that's a good point. Bay of Laig is great but there's much less of it at high tide.

After a week on Eigg last year (good weather - just two days of rain, and midges much less than expected for late June) I'd suggest (as well as the Bay of Laig) Camas Sciotaig, and Beinn Bhuidhe right to the northern tip of the island. I never made it up the Sgurr, but it's on my list.... Quite important to know tide times, as the Bay of Laig is probably best at low tide, while the fantastic sandstone formations to the north of the bay are good at either low or middle tide. It's a place full of atmosphere. And the Rum Cuillin from the mainland? Almost anywhere between Arisaig and Mallaig, with a bit of reccying for foregrounds, (PS you can pre-order food to be collected at the island shop).

I have walked from Bay of Laig around to the other beach while the tide was retreating. Its a long walk over very different terrain with lovely rock formations but also treacherous and very slippery in places, so beware, and then walked over the headland back. A great sunrise and then the day mooching about to sunset, a fabulous day.

A very impressive album, intending to go there myself this year.(y)

Back