Safety razors

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
For various reasons, I just cancelled my Cornerstone subscription.... Before I run out of my stockpile of cartridges I want to get a safety razor.

I don't mind paying for something that will last a lifetime but I really don't know what to choose.

People who sell these things say that I should pay £200 for a Feather or invest my money in Rose Gold from Muhle, but will I really notice the difference from something cheap from Amazon or a lovely handmade razor from Etsy?

What would you recommend? (And no, I'm not going to buy a cut throat....)

Everyone's face/skin is different, I do just fine with twin blade cartridge types from Lidl at ~£3 for twenty and a handle. In my view, no you won't see the difference between an expensive custom razor and something from Amazon but a custom razor might be nice to have if you don't mind shelling out.

I switched to a DE razor seven years ago. I've got the same one since then - Merkur 34C HD (it was around £30 back then). It's got a shorter handle the suits my stubby hands. I bought a sample pack of blades with it and tried each one in turn. IIRC, Derby and Astra blades are the most forgiving so start with those. My preference is now for Feather edge blades - these were very aggressive when I started out with them but over time I've improved and find it gives me the best shave. It will take time for the skin to adjust to the new shaving regime and for you to practice and perfect your skill. When I started out, I'd get regular nicks and cuts and razor burn. I now rarely if ever get any (usually if I'm not paying attention). I shave 2-3 times a week (I find I have no need to shave daily) and a 30 pack of blades for £10 will last me over a year. My only other outlay is shaving cream and that costs around £20 and last me two years. So that's £20 a year for shaving.

You need a shave medium - either shaving cream or soap. People have their own preference. Mine's cream now, A good shaving brush will help build lather and make it easier to apply to your face. An alum block will help with razor burn as you learn, and a styptic pencil will help with cuts. A postshave balm will help but this is down to individual preference.

In your situation, I'd get a relatively cheap DE safety razor, get a feel for it and see how you get on. If you end up staying with safety razors then look at investing in a more expensive one if you wish. I planned to do that but I'm very happy with my Merkur and see no reason to upgrade for now.

The main important advice: watch mantic59 on youtube. His videos are quite old now but he showed how to shave and how to build lather and apply it.

I use gilet machine 3 razors, I've used them for donkeys years, one cartridge will last anything from 3 to 6 months, their cheap enough at the supermarket, they give me a close shave. I don't see the point in paying way over the odds for fancy designer names etc, my machine 3 does the same job.

Cut throat does a great shave done by a barber but my hand gets a bit shaky now and again, I'd probably bleed out in a few seconds after slicing my jugular.:)

Last edited:
@JonathanRyan I started out with an Edwin Jagger but then went and bought a Rockwell 6C. The Rockwell has various size adapters which help you avoid cutting yourself if you follow the guide. I've scanned one side of the instruction card to give you an idea of how it works. I use this razor with Feather blades and get a great close shave.

Rockwell1.jpg

I've used a Mach 3 razor with brand or generic cartridges for a few years now, and it suits me very well. Close, clean. shave using hot water, shaving soap and a brush, without the slight risk of cuts and nicks from a safety razor (the name was originally used to differentiate them from open 'cut-throat' razors).

OTOH I shaved with a DE safety razor for 40 odd years before that, and I still have two. My father gave me the first one. He bought it before the war but never used it, and I got it in the original box. The second was his own razor which my mother gave me when he died. They're both Gilettes, and performed perfectly well with decent blades. I'm sure neither of them was expensive in its day!

I too use Gillette Mach 3 cartridges which are cheap, last for ages, are comfortable to use and give me a close shave without ever cutting myself.

What is the advantage of so/called ‘safety razors’ I’m wondering? Seems like a lot of unnecessary faffing about to me (n)

Reactions: BBR
What is the advantage of so/called ‘safety razors’ I’m wondering? Seems like a lot of unnecessary faffing about to me (n)

Well, since you mention Gilette Mach 3s......

1. They test their products on animals - maybe not the razors (it's unclear) but enough to make me want to avoid them if I can
  2. The ingredients on their razors are "PEG-115M, PEG-7M, PEG-100, Silica, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Tris(Di-T-Butyl)Phosphite, BHT, Glycol" as opposed to steel. Some of those aren't great ingredients which is why they claim they have to test them on animals
  3. Gillette (or P&G who now own them) aren’t really a great company for other reasons so I tend not to buy from them
  4. They are made of plastic which makes them non recyclable
  5. They are packaged in obscene amounts of plastic
  6. They cost about £1.50 each and last (me) about a week (that may be old data - I actually bought a load of them world cup before last on a massive discount - but I've never found a cartridge that gave a good standard of shave on a Friday.). DE blades cost £10 - £20 for 100 and are typically packaged in paper.
  7. I like nice things and a German engineered bit of steel or a nicely hand turned bit of wood with gunmetal fittings appeals to me more than the same bit of plastic everybody else uses.
  8. I fancy a change
I expect I'll get bored and change back soon :D

@JonathanRyan I started out with an Edwin Jagger but then went and bought a Rockwell 6C. The Rockwell has various size adapters which help you avoid cutting yourself if you follow the guide. I've scanned one side of the instruction card to give you an idea of how it works. I use this razor with Feather blades and get a great close shave.

View attachment 128842

Thanks. That looks.....scary. I'm trying to steer clear of adjustable razors as I know from experience that I'll fiddle with all the settings, then leave it on one. It seems to make sense to buy a preset one and stick with that :)
I switched to a DE razor seven years ago. I've got the same one since then - Merkur 34C HD (it was around £30 back then). It's got a shorter handle the suits my stubby hands.

Yes, I was wondering about a 34C - or a Muhle R89. But then I saw this.... https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/580946332/environmentally-friendly-plastic-free

They test their products on animals - maybe not the razors (it's unclear)
I doubt it, I / we used to use a small electric razor if we needed to shave an animal, for skin testing or cardiac punctures.
A small hand held scalpel blade for shaving the marginal ear vein was the best way for that one.

And before you bite my head off, a lot of it was quality control for things like Insulin, heparin and warfarin.
Plus leukaemia research.

Many of the medical drugs in common use today, were still in the trial stage back then...

Well, since you mention Gilette Mach 3s......

1. They test their products on animals - maybe not the razors (it's unclear) but enough to make me want to avoid them if I can
  2. The ingredients on their razors are "PEG-115M, PEG-7M, PEG-100, Silica, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Tris(Di-T-Butyl)Phosphite, BHT, Glycol" as opposed to steel. Some of those aren't great ingredients which is why they claim they have to test them on animals
  3. Gillette (or P&G who now own them) aren’t really a great company for other reasons so I tend not to buy from them
  4. They are made of plastic which makes them non recyclable
  5. They are packaged in obscene amounts of plastic
  6. They cost about £1.50 each and last (me) about a week (that may be old data - I actually bought a load of them world cup before last on a massive discount - but I've never found a cartridge that gave a good standard of shave on a Friday.). DE blades cost £10 - £20 for 100 and are typically packaged in paper.
  7. I like nice things and a German engineered bit of steel or a nicely hand turned bit of wood with gunmetal fittings appeals to me more than the same bit of plastic everybody else uses.
  8. I fancy a change
I expect I'll get bored and change back soon :D

Let the beard grow "au naturel"! No animal (or human) testing required! No need for any Big Pharma products (small pharma soap keeps the face and head clean - a #1 buzz cut once a month renders any additional "product" unnecessary.) £52 per year (blade costs alone) saving, as well as no plastic packaging. The #1 buzz cut stops you looking like a hips*** too...

I've moved to Five dollar shave club - whilst probably not as 'sexy' as a safety razor, I reckon it is better than the last Gilette marketing handle that my wife bought for me.
If anyone wants, I have a referral code .... :banana:

20-30 quid (can't remember tbh) Jagger user here. Don't know why you'd want to spend 200 on one, they're all pretty much the same to a point.

No fafffing any more than normal shaving to be honest. I just find I need to get my face quite hot to soften the hair and open the pours otherwise its a bloodbath. It's the only difference I find.

Closer shave and 30 blades for under 15 quid is delightful. I'd never go back to paying ridiculous money for cartridges.

Grow a beard, buy a check shirt and some beard oil and sit in hipster cafes drinking ten quid a time coffees.......beats shaving....

I've moved to Five dollar shave club

Hmm, apparently the current exchange rate is $5 = £8 :D

I've been happy with the service and blades from Cornerstone - although unless it's my poor memory the prices have crept up. But like I say, time for a change.

Grow a beard, buy a check shirt and some beard oil and sit in hipster cafes drinking ten quid a time coffees.......beats shaving....

Or move to Folkestone. Lovely cup of cold brew is less than 3 quid. Add on a vegan custard and salted pear muffin and you can take it on the beach ;)

Two things from my own experience. 1 - the shave is better. I would regularly get razor burn with Gillette Mach 3 razors (and I used these for about 11 years). The shave is closer with a DE razer and I never get razor burn any more. 2. The shave experience is better - as others have said, it's less of a chore. Part of that for me is down to less issues with a DE razor. But I enjoy the other elements - creating the lather, the shave itself etc.

It's also massively cheaper - the replacement blades were expensive. IIRC the cost of one pack of (8) replacement blades that lasted about three months. The same cost for DE blades would last me two years.

ATEOTD it's horses for courses. Some people would happily spend £200 on a P&S camera and baulk at others buying SLRs. Some people will happily pay a car wash £5 to wash their car rather than detail it or get it professionally detailed.

Last edited:
Thanks. That looks.....scary. I'm trying to steer clear of adjustable razors as I know from experience that I'll fiddle with all the settings, then leave it on one. It seems to make sense to buy a preset one and stick with that :)

That's the beauty of the 6c. You can choose the setting you think will suit you best rather than use a preset one that might give you problems such as razor rash.

'k it's been a couple of days and I've read a few reviews - that's enough thinking. Things that occur to me:

1. With the exception of things like the Futur, razors are essentially a handle with a clamp and the end. There are no real moving parts just a gate for somebody else's blade manufactured to a reasonable tolerance.
  2. So, basically, any decent metal company should be able to make a decent one. The best Sheffield steel may be very good indeed (as is the best stuff from Solingen) but you don't get that in a 40-50 quid item with no moving parts and no edges - you are paying for cast metal and branding.
  3. Every review I've seen picks one of the usual suspects as "the best razor" but acknowledges that personal preference is important while warning against vague dangers of buying a "cheap far East copy". But none can explain in what way a £12 Weishi would be worse than a £34 Merkur.
So....I was all set to buy an Edwin Jagger in black rubber. I figured the rubber grip would be a great idea and I have a mild preference for buying British when I can.

Then I took a look at their other products. I know it doesn't affect the manufacture of their metal razors but I'm still shocked that companies actually sell badger brushes. So I had a scout around. Since I reckon any decent razor will do for starters and I'd rather not fund the whole ripping hair off badgers thing I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a lovely Rockwell as recommended by @David_H :) - my only choice now is the expensive 6S, the practically unobtainable 6C, the totally unobtainable and very expensive model T or the cheapo 2C. More decisions.......

Yup it's interesting that it's down to personal preference but it's not like you can go to a shop, try out different razors and pick one you like. Even then, I've stuck with the same one for the last 6-7 years and I've not felt the need to change or "upgrade" it.

Badger brushes - I don't like the idea of shoving badger fur in my face so I have a synthetic one. My first one was from men-u but I found it a bit crap. Very stiff bristles, didn't lather well and I didn't like applying it (I ended up wiping the lather on my face). I ordered a Bluebeard's revenge one and much prefer that.

Merkur user here. Started on the 34C (about a year ago) but found the handle too short. Got a 38C and the job is done. Now I can change my blade when I like without feeling terrified of financial ruin.

They really are very simple devices. I did wonder why some cost the earth...

Badger brushes - I don't like the idea of shoving badger fur in my face so I have a synthetic one. My first one was from men-u but I found it a bit crap. Very stiff bristles, didn't lather well and I didn't like applying it (I ended up wiping the lather on my face). I ordered a Bluebeard's revenge one and much prefer that.

I found that the badger brush I had was somewhat rough so also opted for a synthetic one and bought this https://shavingstation.co.uk/1081-r...MI677w_cXx2wIVDZ3tCh1N1QWQEAYYASABEgLCnfD_BwE Very nice on the skin with no sensation of the bristles trying to get into your skin pores.

There are several grades of badger shaving brush. Pure, best, super and silver tip, with the latter two being very expensive. I've been wet shaving for nearly 50 years and currently use a Wilkinson brush that I bought at Wilko (coincidence, I think). Haven't a clue what sort of bristle it is, but it works very well and they cost £3 - £4, so no complaints. I really can't justify spending a lot on a shaving brush.

For me, the best way to shave is to use very hot water and whip up a rich, creamy, lather using shaving soap in a bowl. Wilkinson also make a decent and inexpensive one, but I'm fond of Trumpers 'Limes' when funds allow!

I shave electrically and I enjoy the convience of it. During my wet shaving days, I found myself just constantly using water and since I've gone electric, I've never gone back.

Having said that, I can see the pleasure one derives from this Zen like experience. If I had to open my wallet on something like this, it would have to be something a Straight Razor. The prep, shave and end result is something else.

Pretty sure that Jonathan won't be using a badger bristle brush...

Weirdly, I rather enjoy shaving despite having had a beard for 30 years or so. Was tempted to shave the beard off when they came into fashion but remembered the razor rash that has accompanied every type of shave I've tried so kept the facial fungus!

Pretty sure that Jonathan won't be using a badger bristle brush...

:D

Having said that, I can see the pleasure one derives from this Zen like experience. If I had to open my wallet on something like this, it would have to be something a Straight Razor. The prep, shave and end result is something else.

I did look into that but decided I was too lazy to keep a straight edge in good enough condition. I'd probably prefer a shavette - and that's just a safety razor with bragging rights ;)

Mind you, if anybody was looking for a gift to buy me then something like this without the buffalo horn would be most appreciated.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UawihCOne5I

I did look into that but decided I was too lazy to keep a straight edge in good enough condition. I'd probably prefer a shavette - and that's just a safety razor with bragging rights ;)

Mind you, if anybody was looking for a gift to buy me then something like this without the buffalo horn would be most appreciated.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UawihCOne5I
Someone should tell the makers of that video that it is, in fact, possible to over-do the selective focus thing. :thinking:

I was considering going back to a safety razor after almost 45 years, I learned to shave with one. But, I shave my head too, and I'm thinking that that might be a little bit tricky.

I quite like the idea of using and maintaining a single blade as opposed to repeatedly throwing duller blades. I remember being in the barbers and someone was having a straight razor shave. They were usually a Shavette style implement but I liked the serenity of it. Afterwards I just googled it and saw a "high end" place which did a spa like razor shave which involved wet towels and a facial massage and I was transfixed.

Having seen a tutorial video of a Straight Razor shave, it may seem like a chore if done on a regular basis (I suppose this is relative), I reckon if done every once in a while, or whenever you "deserve" it, it can be quite a therapeutic experience. From preparing the blade (Stropping, I'm led to believe this doesn't have to be done for every shave), to getting the lather ready to actually applying it, and then the shave. I hope to one day go into this venture.

I use a Parker razor with either Gillette 7oclock or Israeli made blades and Proraso soap.

I did this week have a parenting duty and helped my lad through his first shave.. I got him Wilkinson triple blade things and Nivea sensitive foam and after balm as I thought it best for starters

I quite like the idea of using and maintaining a single blade as opposed to repeatedly throwing duller blades. I remember being in the barbers and someone was having a straight razor shave. They were usually a Shavette style implement but I liked the serenity of it. Afterwards I just googled it and saw a "high end" place which did a spa like razor shave which involved wet towels and a facial massage and I was transfixed.

Having seen a tutorial video of a Straight Razor shave, it may seem like a chore if done on a regular basis (I suppose this is relative), I reckon if done every once in a while, or whenever you "deserve" it, it can be quite a therapeutic experience. From preparing the blade (Stropping, I'm led to believe this doesn't have to be done for every shave), to getting the lather ready to actually applying it, and then the shave. I hope to one day go into this venture.

Yes, when I looked into it, the advice was to strop the razor every couple of days but also hone it every month/quarter/year (depending how often you strop it and how dull it gets). I guess it's the difference between sharpening a kitchen knife and using a steel on it. TBH it all looked a bit complicated and I decided I'd end up buying a beautiful razor and then ruin it/myself through improper care.

So......as I suspected, the people who sell cartridge razors and tell you it's the best shave you will ever get are lying :)

[Yes, for all the eagle eyes out there I had a last minute change of mind on the razor. Geek points if you can identify it from this.]

still_sharp.jpg

I started off using a DE safety razor - Gillette - but then moved to various disposables, finally settling on BiC. I shave once every three days and have been using this one since the beginning of May. I always use gel, not foam.

This goes to those who use gel, do you apply the gel directly onto your face with your hands or with a shaving brush ?!

I use a Merkur 34c and a 24c, 34c for short stubble and the 24 to mow down trees. They are both around £30 and will last you a lifetime. I used Merkur blades but have recently gone over the Feather blades which are much sharper and give a smoother shave.

Feather blades work out at £0.60p a blade and I get about 6 great shaves and maybe 2 acceptable. Get yourself a Badger brush and some Taylors of Bond Street sensitive shave soap and save even more.

Go have a look on Youtube at Geofatboy and see how he shaves.

Forget Gel its crap, you rub it on and then scrape it off, it does nothing to hydrate the beard and doesn't stop razor burn.

Lastly get an Alum block, its the same as a Stiptik that your Grandad and Dad used to stop nicks bleeding, you'll get a few until you get used to a DE razor.

Once you get used to DE shaving you'll never buy multi blade razors again and you'll save. fortune.

This goes to those who use gel, do you apply the gel directly onto your face with your hands or with a shaving brush ?!

Directly with the hands slightly wet. I also wash/wet my face before I shave with warm water because I find it gives a closer shave.

During my wet shaving days, I started off applying directly onto my face which I didn't like as I always found the gel would just drop into the sink. I started using the brush and it works really well. Face used to get well "gelled" ;).

Yes, when I looked into it, the advice was to strop the razor every couple of days but also hone it every month/quarter/year (depending how often you strop it and how dull it gets). I guess it's the difference between sharpening a kitchen knife and using a steel on it. TBH it all looked a bit complicated and I decided I'd end up buying a beautiful razor and then ruin it/myself through improper care.
I’m a barber that doesn’t offer shaves any more(I dislike doing them],your post reminded of my apprenticeship days strop strop hone hone ,bloody hell another burst balloon:D

Back