Sailing trip

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there, I'm new here. Going sailing to the Caribbean in a few weeks. I have just got a d5100 and lens kit and 55-300mm in the post, what do I need to take to protect my kit?
I hear people talking about UV filters is this something I need to get?

Also insurance:should I get separate insurance to my personal travel insurance, for my camera?

Thanks in advance

Hi Tom,

Welcome to TP :wave:

Just make sure you have a decent camera bag so your kit can be stored and carried safely. Personally, I don't use UV filters on my lenses as I don't see the point - lens cap is on when not shooting so the lens is protected - having said that i'm sure some would swear by them in case the front element gets knocked.

As for insurance, thats up to you. Are you prepared to take the risk and having to pay if something gets lost, damaged, stolen etc?

Salt spray is VERY corrosive and damaging.

Make sure you watch for waves/spray and get your camera out of the way quickly.

Give the camera, lenses, etc., a good wipe down each day after shooting.

I always use a uv or similar protective filter if salt water is likely to be flying around. Salt is highly abrasive as well as corrosive. When you clean your lens, you will be rubbing sharp little crystals against the exposed part of the lens. Is it better to do this against the front element of the lens, or a replaceable filter? Also, some lenses can admit water at the front end (there should be a rubber gasket at the camera end - check this) and a filter can help to prevent penetration. Not fitting a filter could invalidate your warranty - check this with the supplier.

Agree with Jon, if its likely to get salt spray perhaps a filter is to be considered. However, the warranty will only cover manufacturing defects - with or without a filter if it gets water damage the warranty wont cover it. Ive never seen a lens warranty which is only valid with filter fitted :thinking:

Yup, my bad - Nick is quite correct. It's accidental damage insurance that may be invalidated, not the manufactures warranty. And you do have damage/loss/theft insurance, don't you...

Hi there, I'm new here. Going sailing to the Caribbean in a few weeks. I have just got a d5100 and lens kit and 55-300mm in the post, what do I need to take to protect my kit?
I hear people talking about UV filters is this something I need to get?

Also insurance:should I get separate insurance to my personal travel insurance, for my camera?

Thanks in advance

I shoot sailing events a lot and from yachts a lot. There will be salt spray everywhere!

I always use a Hoya UV Filter on lenses - they're flat and easy to clean salt water off. Carry a spray as the salt crystalises fast and then will scratch.

If you're on a yacht - a decent bag to carry your camera in is a must, as it will get thrown about a bit.

I also have a cheap raincover off ebay - cost about £8.

Finally - DO NOT expose the internals of the camera to salt spray - change lenses below decks or inside a polythene bag.

Thanks for the replies, I hadn't considered the salt factor, I'll look to get a filter. In terms of insurance I just meant is it worth getting additional insurance as travel insurance policies have some valuables cover included.

Thanks for the replies, I hadn't considered the salt factor, I'll look to get a filter. In terms of insurance I just meant is it worth getting additional insurance as travel insurance policies have some valuables cover included.

Get a decent filter, not a cheap one or your shots will suffer. Check your household insurance. Quite often there is enough cover there for holidays, though being on a boat may be excluded. Give them a ring and ask!

You may also want to look at a circular polariser

Get a decent filter, not a cheap one or your shots will suffer.

What would be decent filter? I hear people recommend hoya? OR should i go Nikon? Does it need to be UV I hear that is pointless on a DSLR? Thanks

What would be decent filter? I hear people recommend hoya? OR should i go Nikon? Does it need to be UV I hear that is pointless on a DSLR? Thanks

Hoya - especially their Pro1 Digital series. B&W also make great filters.

No real need for a Nikon/Canon branded one.

You basically want a neutral filter as all it is doing is protecting the front element (or at least the first bit of glass in the lens) - a UV works, as might a skylight. But you are not buying it to do anything other than protect.

Did a longish trip recently and one of the crew brought a fair amount of camera equip. They'd already got travel insurance but the policy classed sailing as an adventure sport, so gear not covered.
They did get a reasonably priced technology only policy that covered sailing but it had a 60 mile from land clause. So i guess it depends how accurate your log is if you need to make a claim!

Did a longish trip recently and one of the crew brought a fair amount of camera equip. They'd already got travel insurance but the policy classed sailing as an adventure sport, so gear not covered.
They did get a reasonably priced technology only policy that covered sailing but it had a 60 mile from land clause. So i guess it depends how accurate your log is if you need to make a claim!

I'd definitely make a specific check on your policy. I did some work last year in the Solent, and had in writing from the insurance company the confirmation that I was covered.

Most policies will have sufficient wiggle room that they can refuse to pay out, especially generic travel/home insurance. If you are in any doubt then check explicitly. Location/Situation and any restrictions or measures you need to put in place.

Salt water is a killer for cameras. So protect as well as possible and failing that make sure you are covered.

Have fun though - sounds good. I'm assuming Antigua Sailing Week ?

Last edited:
I'm not leaving territorial waters which makes it cheaper I believe, think I'll get on the phone to a few companies. We sailing from st.lucia to grenada dropping in on a few islands in between. Very excited less two weeks to go, if get any good photos I'll put up a few later!

Back