Salford Quays Set

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
This weekend i finally get to the Salford Quays, got some good weather at night for some night shots. Luckily from stories I've head i only got spoke to by security on the black and white day time photo, who i assured i was not a professional and he let me finish the exposure & i agreed to stop taking photos. I didn't get as long as i wanted around the area and missed a lot of the Quays as i was mainly on a shopping trip with my partner and daughter, however i managed to get her out for a quick walk around before we went headed home!

Out of curiosity does anyone know who to contact for a permit here as i would like to visit again when i have more time?

Apologies for some of the photos being very similar, i couldn't pick which i prefer so thought i would include all the keepers!

Huron Basin NV buildings, Salford Quays by michael-little, on Flickr

Salford Quays Panorama by michael-little, on Flickr

Salford Quays, Manchester by michael-little, on Flickr

Media City, Salford Quays by michael-little, on Flickr

Media City & Lowery Mall Panorama by michael-little, on Flickr

Media City, Salford Quays by michael-little, on Flickr

Salford Quays, Manchester by michael-little, on Flickr

Last edited:
A lovely collection Mike, amongst the best I've seen of Salford Quays.

The security guard issues really disappoints me - it's so sad that people see taking pictures of buildings as some kind of infringement. No point in arguing or letting the situation become heated, we all lose when that happens.

Chris

Wow! very impressive! I only live down the road in Warrington myself so I think I will get over sometime, I think the wife will get suspicious though when I ask her does she fancy going shopping ;)

What is the reason behind the security guards stopping you photographing? Is it not a public place where you have to photograph from?

Wow! very impressive! I only live down the road in Warrington myself so I think I will get over sometime, I think the wife will get suspicious though when I ask her does she fancy going shopping ;)

What is the reason behind the security guards stopping you photographing? Is it not a public place where you have to photograph from?

It's open to the public, but the land is privately owned

It's open to the public, but the land is privately owned

Thanks for that, You learn something new everyday, I am pretty new to photography I never even knew it was an issue to photograph buildings? Ive got a lot to learn.

A lovely collection Mike, amongst the best I've seen of Salford Quays.

The security guard issues really disappoints me - it's so sad that people see taking pictures of buildings as some kind of infringement. No point in arguing or letting the situation become heated, we all lose when that happens.

Chris

Wow, Thanks Chris!! (y)

and i know i just explained that I'm in no way a professional and i would move on once the exposure had finished and he said i was alright to walk around but if someone complained i would have to go unless i got a permit, just wish id asked where to get one from!!

Its defenatley worth it, if i had the time i could have send all night photographing all different compositions! & Yes although i believe if you get a permit you should be ok!

I like these and would possibly choose 3 as my fave.

Thank you! (y)

I'm guessing you have to pay for a permit. It's an absolute disgrace in my book. Yes I'm feeling grumpy today, but even so, you pay enough for the pleasure of parking there. If it's private land it should have a fence all the way round it and a turnstile to get in and out.

I'm off to sit in a dark room.

I'm guessing you have to pay for a permit. It's an absolute disgrace in my book. Yes I'm feeling grumpy today, but even so, you pay enough for the pleasure of parking there. If it's private land it should have a fence all the way round it and a turnstile to get in and out.

I'm off to sit in a dark room.

Oh, lovely pictures by the way!

I know, especially as its called media city!!

Thanks mate!

Michael

I'm a regular snapper at Salford Quays, I've only ever been asked to stop by security once, and that was taking photos with a tripod from one of the bridges. The land is privately owned, but the waterfront sides are actually still owned by the council.

The general rule seems to be is not to use a tripod on the square in front of Media City, on any of the bridges or from the higher floors on the multi-storey carpark. Otherwise you can be unlucky and get a security guard who has nothing better to do,

Salford Quays press office actually encourages amateur photography, and @mickledore has an email from the office stating this. But as it's private land they are allowed to state that the images are not used for professional purposes unless permission has been granted.

Nice set, very clear and crisp (y)

Michael

I'm a regular snapper at Salford Quays, I've only ever been asked to stop by security once, and that was taking photos with a tripod from one of the bridges. The land is privately owned, but the waterfront sides are actually still owned by the council.

The general rule seems to be is not to use a tripod on the square in front of Media City, on any of the bridges or from the higher floors on the multi-storey carpark. Otherwise you can be unlucky and get a security guard who has nothing better to do,

Salford Quays press office actually encourages amateur photography, and @mickledore has an email from the office stating this. But as it's private land they are allowed to state that the images are not used for professional purposes unless permission has been granted.

I too was taking a photo from a bridge with a tripod, however the security guard was sound with me. He didn't believe me that i was an hobbyist with all the camera gear i had (Tripod with filter holder, filters and cable release) so i assured him i wasn't a professional and he just said i can carry on without a permit but if someone complains i would have to leave. That was fine with me as i originally only wanted the one long exposure in the day and i got the photo i was happy with. The rest on the night were just a bonus. Overall I've head stories of security being very bad over there so i was pleasantly surprised.

Do you know who i can contact to get a permit if possible please?

I too was taking a photo from a bridge with a tripod, however the security guard was sound with me. He didn't believe me that i was an hobbyist with all the camera gear i had (Tripod with filter holder, filters and cable release) so i assured him i wasn't a professional and he just said i can carry on without a permit but if someone complains i would have to leave. That was fine with me as i originally only wanted the one long exposure in the day and i got the photo i was happy with. The rest on the night were just a bonus. Overall I've head stories of security being very bad over there so i was pleasantly surprised.

Do you know who i can contact to get a permit if possible please?

Drop @mickledore a message

Great set !

Ive never had any trouble with security guards but saying that always been there at the crack of dawn!

No 3 for me :)

What a great set. Struggling to pick a favourite but 4 just edges it for me. Never knew there was such a lovely Quayside down there so might make a wee visit the next time I am down south

Thank you, i think 4 edges it as my favourite too! and its well worth a visit, Im planning to spend some time there closer to Christmas hopefully!

2-5 are exceptional. I wish I took them myself

Thank you!! I Appreciate it!! (y)

Just been on the Media City website and found this in their FAQ:

Are the general public permitted to take pictures at/of MediaCityUK?

We encourage those wanting to take images of the exterior buildings and public piazza to do so, but please be mindful of events taking place around the area you wish to photograph.

Great set of photos by the way Michael.

Would love to visit again so if you go again and I'm free ill definitely be up for it!

Just been on the Media City website and found this in their FAQ:

Are the general public permitted to take pictures at/of MediaCityUK?

We encourage those wanting to take images of the exterior buildings and public piazza to do so, but please be mindful of events taking place around the area you wish to photograph.

Great set of photos by the way Michael.

I expect that they just don't want lots of people around with tripods, looks like you'd be fine without one! & Thank you

really great set , 2 and 3 stand out for me ( for what it's worth : )

Thank you, i appreciate it!! (y)

Nice set of images, much better than the ones I took last year. I also had no problem with security while I was there, but as I hadn't got a tripod that probably contributed to both that and the general issues with the images.

Back