Salford Quays

Name
Keiran
Edit My Images
Yes
Managed to get out between the recent tragic weather and decided to have a wander around Salford Quays. I've never been around here before but was trying to capture some different images from ones I had seen done by other photographers online.
Think I'll be having another visit here soon to try a few shots out that I didn't quite nail on this shoot.

1. Colour
946174_10156405762930181_3455814419565590227_n.jpg

2. B+W
12523132_10156405762630181_4796193758353592808_n.jpg

3. Abstract
12507404_10156405762735181_4681591572475775253_n.jpg

Last edited:
Now I like those, the colour & b&w bring two completely different images! Only looking on my I phone so can't really offer anything constructive, but from what I can see on here, none needed

I like these, Salford Quays is a regular haunt for me, but I'd be interested in how you removed the orange Manchester glow (light pollution) from the colour images, whenever I've been there and it's that dark (rather than the blue hour) I have a radioactive orange glow on the horizon.

would have gone for classic rule of thirds in the landscape and the bridge looks slightly off straight.

other than those picky points, I love the colours, the sharpness and the subject matter, well shot :)

Unfortunately from this angle there is no straight line to follow as the pink neon building is set out towards you and I'm not into skewing, straightening or photoshopping images to that extent. As for any orange glows I shot at ISO 100 and slightly underexposed my images then brought the raw file exposure up in light room. Higher iso tends to capture more orange glow at long exposure. I think these were around 15 seconds ish.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated :)

I should have said that I stop myself from straightening images is PS too much as personally I do like straight lines :) lol

Just checked the shot data. Settings were ISO 100, f10, 13 secs exposure. Hope that helps :)

I like these, Salford Quays is a regular haunt for me, but I'd be interested in how you removed the orange Manchester glow (light pollution) from the colour images, whenever I've been there and it's that dark (rather than the blue hour) I have a radioactive orange glow on the horizon.
It's about time we had a night out round there Mr. P. Could try out this theory.
(Once I've warmed my self up. Been out atop Lakeland fells today. Only -9!)

It's about time we had a night out round there Mr. P. Could try out this theory.
(Once I've warmed my self up. Been out atop Lakeland fells today. Only -9!)

Yes, sometime soon, work has just gone bananas, need to build up the pot for the 2017 camera body fund, since I'm not buying any bodies or lenses this year!!

I sort some dates out for Feb for the quays and Ingleton andemail you

Bananas good or bad?
I'm not buying any lenses either but a second body is on the list. X-T2????

Yes mail me when you know what is what.

Bananas good or bad?
I'm not buying any lenses either but a second body is on the list. X-T2????

Yes mail me when you know what is what.
Oooo XT-2 . Was considering the XT1 for a while but couldn't justify the cost without giving up some of my canon gear.

I dig #3…for its graphic qualities.

Oooo XT-2 . Was considering the XT1 for a while but couldn't justify the cost without giving up some of my canon gear.
Ignoring the previous post. ...

Yes, the X-T2 is rumored for later in the year. The present model is available at a good price at present so I thought about getting a second one of those but if the recently announced improvements make their way to the top of the range that should be a belting body.

Ignoring the previous post. ...

Yes, the X-T2 is rumored for later in the year. The present model is available at a good price at present so I thought about getting a second one of those but if the recently announced improvements make their way to the top of the range that should be a belting body.
I bet yes. I think it's going to be a great year of all round improvements for mirrorless cameras. They have definitely had some good coverage through 2015.

I note you are on Canon. So was I. I sold all my gear and went over completely to Fuji. No regrets. Only thing I'd really like is the ability to shoot RAW at ISO 100. At present this is restricted to 200 or higher.
I suspect the new model will have this.

A good set of pictures, I like the colour version of the buildings rather the black and white.

The 3rd picture is a really interesting image and is very good.

I note you are on Canon. So was I. I sold all my gear and went over completely to Fuji. No regrets. Only thing I'd really like is the ability to shoot RAW at ISO 100. At present this is restricted to 200 or higher.
I suspect the new model will have this.
Will be extremely tempted if this is the case with the X-T2. I considered the Sony A7ii above it because of it accepting canon lenses but it's got a hefty price tag in comparison to the fuji gear.

Nope, still is what it is… abstract… to me!

Great abstract take on #3, glad I read the thread to work out what it is.

Love that last one but feel it could do with a clockwise tweak of around ... err ... 90° lol - That's brilliant and appeals to me.

I used to watch many of Serge Ramelli's videos (YouTube) and something he does is to take a photograph on a tripod at around dusk for the sky, then another 20 minutes or so later to have the lights on in the windows and then blend the two. I feel, if you have the time and inclination, this would work really well with the first.

I like these and it's a good quality set.

Nope, still is what it is… abstract… to me!
From the side, screen rotated anti-clockwise, it looks like bridge supports, with reflections. Not overly familiar with the area though

It is the bridge at Salford Quays yes :) There's hundreds of shots of it around tinterweb so I decided to make an abstract just to try something different.

Love that last one but feel it could do with a clockwise tweak of around ... err ... 90° lol - That's brilliant and appeals to me.

I used to watch many of Serge Ramelli's videos (YouTube) and something he does is to take a photograph on a tripod at around dusk for the sky, then another 20 minutes or so later to have the lights on in the windows and then blend the two. I feel, if you have the time and inclination, this would work really well with the first.

I like these and it's a good quality set.
I do plan to visit here again soon so I may have a play around with that Idea next time. I did have a few more shots but felt I hadn't quite nailed it so will go for a second attempt. It's quite a nice place to walk about in the evenings as well.

A problem with the docks at Manchester is that a lot of the lighting is dynamic. Taking multiple shots and blending them isn't as easy (having been using PS for two weeks I don't find any post processing easy!) as a normal city-scape.

The mirrored swing footbridge is quite different, never seen anyone do that with it before. The way the steam stops exactly at the support cables is nice. Every time I've been there recently the steam has been a real distraction due to the cold air. Also a good angle for hiding the extremely intrusive ITV logo.

This location needs reflections. Anything else is a waste of time. The reflections make or break your image in such places.

These are good. I'd have liked dusk shots so the buildings would stand out more from the sky
I have purposefully upped the blacks to make the sky really black. On the original shot there were some clouds and sky but I prefer these shots as clean as possible top and bottom. Just personal preference I guess :)

Back