Samgsung vs Sandisk SDD

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I think between these drives they are much of a muchness, they are both very highly rated. The Sandisk has a IP waterproof rating and is slightly smaller so maybe that would swing it? FYI I use the Sandisk 500gb version and it works perfectly, but I haven't had it very long.

They are both USB 3.1 gen2 but your laptop will bottleneck their speed.

Last edited:
I've currently got 4 Sandisk (inc 1TB) and 1 Samsung EVO and not had any issues with any of them......I just buy the best price for size at the time.

I think between drives they are much of a muchness. The Sandisk has a IP waterproof rating and is slightly smaller so maybe that would swing it? FYI I use the Sandisk 500gb version and it works perfectly, but I haven't had it very long.

They are both USB 3.1 gen2 but your laptop will bottleneck their speed.

It's reliability that's the ultimate for me. I needs to err, store stuff and not crap out.

I had a 980GB Sandisk go down on me after 3 months ... quick and easy replacement and everything backed up but that's my only SSD issue from 3 x Sandisk SSD's.

By differing degrees are SSD's "just" like a HDD in that there being only 2 types ~ those that have failed & those that will fail?

In other words, though reliability rates vary, if a make/model has good reviews one choice is as good as another plus never rely on a single drive (of whatever technology) for your backup strategy ;)

By differing degrees are SSD's "just" like a HDD in that there being only 2 types ~ those that have failed & those that will fail?

In other words, though reliability rates vary, if a make/model has good reviews one choice is as good as another plus never rely on a single drive (of whatever technology) for your backup strategy ;)

Don't worry - I won't be ;)

errr 1TB doesn't cover even a fraction of my stuff. 4TB WD external drive for images, and a 6TB for a backup of that, plus another couple for further manual backups. You won't need too much speed to read a RAW file.

errr 1TB doesn't cover even a fraction of my stuff. 4TB WD external drive for images, and a 6TB for a backup of that, plus another couple for further manual backups. You won't need too much speed to read a RAW file.

I don't take nearly as many as you do and don't keep many. 1tb is just about fine and I can buy another if it isn't.

Samsung it is.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Po...48&sr=8-4&keywords=external+solid+state+drive

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ex...id=1547222201&sr=1-5&keywords=sandisk+ssd+1tb

I am looking for a 1tb USB SSD to use on my 2012 MacPro to back up RAWs and TIFFs.

I am not hugely into IT as such and heard Samsung drives have a good name, but I've had Sandisk cards for so long and "trust them". Anyone in the know have any horror stories of Sandisk SSD's or are they reliable.

Both are good well known brand names therefore would have good reputation and are reliable.

Like with everything else in life, according to Murphy's Law which states If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong, so both could have their fare share of horror stories.

I would say you are better off picking either Samsung or SanDisk (or Western Digital) rather than some cheap unknown Brand-X. So my suggestion is just go for either one of them, they are really good companies as they do research and development, to make better SSDs.

Back