Samsung 840 Pro or 840 Eve, spolit for choice

Name
John 'Jack'
Edit My Images
No
As I am attempting to collect parts to custom build my new computer, I'm planning on a SSD for the Windows software plus application software, I'll have a HDD for data, documents, media, etc.

After some efforts to look around for which SSD I would like to go for, I finally decided to narrow down to the Samsung 840 series, but I'm stuck with a problem. No matter how much I try to look around, read reviews, look all over the forums, and so on, I seems to be spoilt for choice between the 840 Evo and the 840 Pro. (It don't matter what size, at the moment, I'm considering either 120GB or 250GB, either way if I opt for the Pro or the Evo, whichever way I chose, I'll worry about the size later.)

If I can't make up my mind which one I want to opt for, either the Evo or the Pro, I may as well flip a coin, unless anyone got a better suggestion or a bad review of either one?

Thanks.

I have a Samsung EVO 250GB as my primary OS disc and a 500GB EVO as a second drive on my i7 machine.

I've had no trouble with either of them and find they really speed up most operations on the PC.

They're also very fast transferring files between them.

I haven't tried the Pro series so can't comment on them.

If it is for the boot drive, read speed is key. From memory (I'm in a rush at the mo) they are pretty equal on read spees with the write speed winning for the Pro....

If it is for the boot drive, read speed is key. From memory (I'm in a rush at the mo) they are pretty equal on read spees with the write speed winning for the Pro....

You are right, it is for boot up, it'll be mainly for Windows plus application software, I know they won't load at a snap of the finger, but I'm aware that they could shave off a few seconds than if loaded from HDD. Any work I do, be it documents, graphic design, photos, etc., they all will be saved on a HDD.

Apart from noticeable to a brechmark software but hardly noticeable to a human in terms of speed, like model A is faster at reading than model B, but on the other hand model B is better at writing than model A, and oh by the way, this is cheaper than that. It would make more sense to say something in layman like, actually model A is very suitable for gamers or watching online movies, but model B is much more effect for writers, journalist, artist, photographers.

Bit like a soldier may know the different between a M-16 and M-60 in terms of rate of fire, range, how much ammo, etc., but for the sake of civilians who don't know, it would make more sense to explain what each weapon would be more suited for.

Based on what you said and what the other member said, I suppose I may as well just pick the Evo??

Based on what you said and what the other member said, I suppose I may as well just pick the Evo??
If they are pretty much equal on read speed, that's what I'd do...

The Pro has a faster controller and more overprovisioning (all SSDs will ultimately fail, since the sectors have a limited number of read / write uses). That being said, I'd also go for the Evo, since having had a number of SSDs for the last 5 years I've never had one fail before chucking it to upgrade, and the controller differential is only useful if you do tasks with an unusually high number of IOPS (say writing or reading lots of small files - if you regularly compile kernals!)

Back