Samsung Galaxy S5 connection to BT Hub with ethernet

arclight

Oooh that burglar's a cutie
Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
I am awaiting the arrival of a refurbrished S5. For tedious reasons that are not relevant to my question I do not want to switch on the WiFi on my BT Hub 5 router.

My question is - Can I connect a S5 to my BT Hub using an ethernet cable. There is a spare port on the router and a USB micro socket on the S5. Adaptors to connect an ethernet cable to a micro USB skt. are readily available.
Before I buy an ethernet cable and adaptor it would be helpful if I knew that the proposed set up would work.

All help will be appreciated, folks.

It looks like the galaxy s5 won’t support this and demands a WiFi or mobile data connection . Is it the home hubs WiFi you don’t want on, or WiFi in general?

If it is the home hubs WiFi you want keeping off, but happy With using WiFi you could use a travel/another router or access point to plug into homehub and generate a WiFi signal. With a little effort you could set this to only connect to the s5 by setting it to restrict on MAC address ( the processors ID essentially).

Thanks for that Jon, what you say about the S5 not supporting an ethernet connection confirms my suspicion, but I could not find any definitive information from Professor Google.
I did not want to enable the HUB 5 WiFi because I have 2 x W7 desktop PC's connected to it with ethernet cables. The set up works perfectly well and I prefer to leave well alone. If the Hub WiFi is turned on the WiFi LED flashes endlessly - presumably because it is getting no response from the PC's (I have WiFi disabled within W7).

If the S5 can work via WiFi with my desktops remaining on ethernet then that will need to do.

Much obliged for your help.

OP. There really is no problem with Wi-Fi + Ethernet. That's exactly what I have set up.

OP. There really is no problem with Wi-Fi + Ethernet. That's exactly what I have set up.

Excellent - that is now Option 1, thanks.

if your using BT broadband and the BT Home hub 5 there should be a an open wifi signal called BTWifi-with-FON transmitted from your router that allows any BT broadband subscriber to connect to your or any other BT broadband router transmitting the BTWifi-with-FON signal via their BT log in details
the bit i'm not sure about is if you disable wifi on the router dose it leave the BTWifi-with-FON running or switch that off too ( easy to check with another wifi device )
if it does carry on running you could connect to that, there is an android app called BT wifi that needs to be installed from google play but once set up it will then automatically connect your phone to any BTWifi-with-Fon signal when they come into range including your own

Last edited:
if your using BT broadband and the BT Home hub 5 there should be a an open wifi signal called BTWifi-with-FON transmitted from your router that allows any BT broadband subscriber to connect to your or any other BT broadband router transmitting the BTWifi-with-FON signal via their BT log in details
the bit i'm not sure about is if you disable wifi on the router dose it leave the BTWifi-with-FON running or switch that off too ( easy to check with another wifi device )
if it does carry on running you could connect to that, there is an android app called BT wifi that needs to be installed from google play but once set up it will then automatically connect your phone to any BTWifi-with-Fon signal when they come into range including your own

I am not quite sure that I follow all of that, Mark. However, I have found the description on the BT website. I think that would be something I would look at after my S5 is up and running (it will need to be functioning to get the App you mention). Being able to use my S5 "piggy backed" on another participating Hub could prove useful. Thanks :)

so what is the issue?

I said my opening post "For tedious reasons that are not relevant to my question I do not want to switch on the WiFi on my BT Hub 5 router."

I don't want to broaden the discussion. Thanks to everyone for their contributions. They have been useful.

I said my opening post "For tedious reasons that are not relevant to my question I do not want to switch on the WiFi on my BT Hub 5 router."

I don't want to broaden the discussion. Thanks to everyone for their contributions. They have been useful.

and I get that but what is the reason, are you wifi sensitive ?

Back