B&W Samyang 85 f1.4

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
Went camping for a few days in half term (plan was to use the new 16-35 but didn't get round to it)

Had some nice light around the tents so took this pic. Always toy with the idea of selling this lens but when I use it, I just can't bring myself to let it go!

Camping 2014 by Sir SR, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Shaheed

Last edited:
That's a lovely shot Shaheed, that background just melts away making your daughter 'pop'. Love the mono conversion and the crop also. Nice work.

I regret selling my one of these, but had to really to fund other glass.

If only they were to make an AF version of this lens.....that's the main reason I sold as my kids got bored waiting for me to focus, but oh my when when it did.

That's a lovely shot Shaheed, that background just melts away making your daughter 'pop'. Love the mono conversion and the crop also. Nice work.

I regret selling my one of these, but had to really to fund other glass.

If only they were to make an AF version of this lens.....that's the main reason I sold as my kids got bored waiting for me to focus, but oh my when when it did.

Yeah, that's where I am with this lens. It takes a bit of patience and the kids do occasionally move whilst focussing at f1.4!

I toyed with the idea of selling it for the nikkor 85 f1.8 but I'd miss f1.4. That only really leaves the 85 f1.4g..... Maybe Xmas 2015 if I start saving now!!

I still maintain it's a quality lens for the money - keep are people selling them for around 200 second hand and in truth it's the af that'd make me want to sell. Love everything else about this lens!

Thanks for looking/commenting

S

Yeah, that's where I am with this lens. It takes a bit of patience and the kids do occasionally move whilst focussing at f1.4!

I toyed with the idea of selling it for the nikkor 85 f1.8 but I'd miss f1.4. That only really leaves the 85 f1.4g..... Maybe Xmas 2015 if I start saving now!!

I still maintain it's a quality lens for the money - keep are people selling them for around 200 second hand and in truth it's the af that'd make me want to sell. Love everything else about this lens!

S
Consider the Sigma...

Dean, is that the current one or in the hope they extend their art range to 85mm?

I just wonder how good it would be on the d800?

The 35mm art f1.4 is the next lens I'll purchase and then to stop the lens tinkering I'll upgrade my 85 f1.4 and 105 f2.8 afd.

It's not part of the art reissues/revamps yet. When it is I will most defiantly be buying if the standard is the same.

Also rumour has a 24 f/1.4 coming out too.

Shaheed beautiful young lady & captured so beautifully - what does she think of it :thinking:

This is my daughter's best friend! She liked it on the camera screen at the time and her mum likes it!

She's always known me with a camera so she's very natural around it!

S

Lovely picture Shaheed - great expression, eye contact...

I too really like the processing - what did you do to it. There seems to be something on your pictures - I'd be very interested in a "how I" guide ;)

On the lens front I have the Nikon AFS 1.8 - you lose 2/3 stop on the wide open but gain the AF - its my fave lens at the moment

Lovely picture Shaheed - great expression, eye contact...

I too really like the processing - what did you do to it. There seems to be something on your pictures - I'd be very interested in a "how I" guide ;)

On the lens front I have the Nikon AFS 1.8 - you lose 2/3 stop on the wide open but gain the AF - its my fave lens at the moment

Hi

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Started with the shooting. Light was great behind her so I could backlight her hair. Spot metering as I wanted to blow the background. Single point focus at f1.4 on her left eye (camera right) - that was the tricky bit as DOF is tiny especially when the kids are moving!

Opened in LR5. Boosted contrast, sharpness. B&W conversion (no magic formula - just tinker with the colour sliders til I like what I see).

Switch it out to photoshop to add the border and put on a pretentious name

Hope that helps

Shaheed

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Started with the shooting. Light was great behind her so I could backlight her hair. Spot metering as I wanted to blow the background. Single point focus at f1.4 on her left eye (camera right) - that was the tricky bit as DOF is tiny especially when the kids are moving!

Opened in LR5. Boosted contrast, sharpness. B&W conversion (no magic formula - just tinker with the colour sliders til I like what I see.

Switch it out to photoshop to add the border and put on a pretentious name

Hope that helps

Shaheed

Hi

thanks for the reply

It ALL helps - the more we look and ask and comment and receive comments - the more we learn.

I must try the colour sliders in B&W - it's counter intuitive to me !

Great work - and thanks again

Brian

P.S. It's not a pretentious name - it's yours :)

Loving those cinematic crops, what a lovely set..... I miss my Samyang 85 1.4 now....

You seem to have mastered the MF..... I found that although it was frustrating missing focus, when you did nail it, it was worth it. I would be over the moon with these even if it took 200 clicks to get them.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd say mastered the MF.........my keeper rate wide open is much better with the AF lenses!!

Its a solid performer limited by my MF skills and moving kids - I really do think ill get an AF one (once I've sorted the 35mm f1.4 sigma) in the next few years!

thanks for looking and commenting!

Shaheed

Back