Samyang 85mm 1.4

Am really loving this lens - testing with the kids, but worth it for the price!

Have taken a few shots with this lens now - can be seen here:

samyang

Taken on a D90 by a new togger who's become reliant on AF!

Last edited:
i just bought one on the forums,AE version,delivered yesterday and i think im in love :)

What's the warranty on these beauties? I see sellers selling on eBay some with 1 year and others with 3 years. Why the difference?

I've been using the Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm fisheye for about 1 year and the 85mm for about 1 1/2 yrs. Both lenses have a nikon mount (for the D300) and since this camera has focus confirm built-in they are good matches. An inexpensive Nikon to Canon EOS adapter with focus confirm chip allows me to use the same lenses on either the Canon 350D or 550D with the same features.
The 8mm now spends over 90% of the time mounted on the 550D with very good results.

I forgot to add that the 8mm has such a large depth of field that at f8 and 10 ft focus the thing is almost a point -n- shoot.

The 85mm is a very good portrait lens and the shallow depth of field at f1.4 removes a lot of distractions. Just for the heck of it, take a full frame head on shot with a 35 or 55mm lens and then do the same with the 85mm. which one would you prefer ? It all boils down to a matter of ratios.

Last edited:
Wyshniukas said:
What's the warranty on these beauties? I see sellers selling on eBay some with 1 year and others with 3 years. Why the difference?

5 years from uk digital!

Nikon 85mm f1.4 AIS is probably better built, better optically, etc. Look on eBay. Actually, looking at completed items, I'm surprised as they go for around £400. Maybe the Samyang is OK!

Last edited:
jojo90 said:
Nikon 85mm f1.4 AIS is probably better built, better optically, etc. Look on eBay. Actually, looking at completed items, I'm surprised as they go for around £400. Maybe the Samyang is OK!

I'd have to disagree I'm afraid. the samyang is no slouch in the build quality department, and I don't believe the optics can be bettered. When you nail the focus, it really is as sharp as physically possible.

Taken on a D90 by a new togger who's become reliant on AF!
Shaheed - when you manual focus it on a D90 does the focus dot in the viewfinder light up when focused? Or is it purely visual? I wear glasses so am wondering how I'd cope with manual focus but I'm very tempted by this lens...

Shaheed - when you manual focus it on a D90 does the focus dot in the viewfinder light up when focused? Or is it purely visual? I wear glasses so am wondering how I'd cope with manual focus but I'm very tempted by this lens...

Hi there.

Green dot! I end up guesstimating the distance, then fine tune with the focus ring. I am also a speccy wearer. Think it would be easier with my contacts in but I took these at f1.4 with my specs on and the kids moving.

Focusing like this works for me (hopefully get quicker with practice) but would love to hear others' tips on MF!

This lens is ace. Not a single regret. Actually just one - wish I'd got it sooner!

Hi there.

Green dot! I end up guesstimating the distance, then fine tune with the focus ring. I am also a speccy wearer. Think it would be easier with my contacts in but I took these at f1.4 with my specs on and the kids moving.

Focusing like this works for me (hopefully get quicker with practice) but would love to hear others' tips on MF!

This lens is ace. Not a single regret. Actually just one - wish I'd got it sooner!
Thanks. I'm seriously tempted!

Received my one today (EOS mount), fun times begin.
MF really needs to be worked out as no focus confirmation is displayed. I try now just to leave focus ring on 1m and move the distance to make focus crisp clear. Seems to work for now like this; improvement needed.
Manual aperture control is great as well. One turn and you are f2. No faults here. I was slightly disappointed with focus ring, it's quite heavy to turn.
Worthy investment.

Wyshniukas said:
MF really needs to be worked out as no focus confirmation is displayed. I try now just to leave focus ring on 1m and move the distance to make focus crisp clear. Seems to work for now like this; improvement needed.
Manual aperture control is great as well. One turn and you are f2. No faults here. I was slightly disappointed with focus ring, it's quite heavy to turn.
Worthy investment.

Excellent news! Only had mine for a couple of days and it's clear I'm the limiting factor with this lens. Slowly getting used to MF. Can't wait to see some of your pics!

A quick one from this morning; love this lens!

New Toy 12b by Sir SR, on Flickr

Worthy investment.

I just received my EE-S focus screen (5D), for use with my Samyang 35mm 1.4, focus is a fair bit easier to nail now, the equivalent 5Dii focus screen is the EG-S. Dont need AF confirm now but it is roughly 1 1/2-2 stops darker at 5.6 than the standard screen, but why buy a 1.4 lens to shoot at 5.6. Hope this helps someone. Oh, theyre about £28-30.

Last edited:
Here are some pix for comparison of the Rok 85 vs Nik 135. The same rose on the same camera (D300) same tripod, all at the same time. The Rokinon (Samyang) can stand on it's own as far as I'm concerned. ASA 500 on lazy (program mode).

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7006/6819249441_e9f51dbe12_z.jpg
Rokinon f3.5

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6819154613_00d887d123_m.jpg
Nikkor 135mm f2.0

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7165/6819217163_1f9494dd19_z.jpg
Rokinon f3.5

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6819184661_4a19b4fbf1_z.jpg
Nikkor 135mm f2.0

Here are some pix for comparison of the Rok 85 vs Nik 135. The same rose on the same camera (D300) same tripod, all at the same time. The Rokinon (Samyang) can stand on it's own as far as I'm concerned. ASA 500 on lazy (program mode).

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7006/6819249441_e9f51dbe12_z.jpg
Rokinon f3.5

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6819154613_00d887d123_m.jpg
Nikkor 135mm f2.0

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7165/6819217163_1f9494dd19_z.jpg
Rokinon f3.5

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6819184661_4a19b4fbf1_z.jpg
Nikkor 135mm f2.0

might it have been a more accurate comparison shot at the same aperture?

might it have been a more accurate comparison shot at the same aperture?

Tnx for the reply.
My intention was to show the wide open capabilities of both lenses and nothing more. The Rok has a 1 f stop advantage over the Nik and does a very good job wide open. Stepped down to f4 or 5.6 the Nik is very hard to beat but ultimate sharpness is not that important to me

Here is an example of this lovely lens.
Taken in a studio with a couple of speedlites and brollies.
1st pic is a crop of the central 3rd of a frame, and the 2nd shot is a crop of that crop !
Taken at f6.3, but just shows how sharp this lens is.
I love it !!
No PP done, apart from save and resize as Jpeg.

GHP_1333-2.jpg by scubacrazy, on Flickr

And the crop:

GHP_1333.jpg by scubacrazy, on Flickr

I recently bought the Samyang 8mm for my Canon crop was certainly impressed with the optics and build quality, so was thinking about the 85mm as well. However, given the known quality of the Canon 85 f1.8 and the cost difference of £75 I'm erring on the side of the Canon now.

The 35mm f1.4 is still on the shopping list though! (y)

Paul

I was considering the 85 1.4 but already have the 85 1.8 USM which has exceptional quality and AF so will probably rather get the 14mm.

Paul, the 35mm is superb, extremely sharp at F1.4 with very nice bokeh.

MindofMel said:
Anybody using this lens whilst shooting events, (weddings / conferences) i.e not studio work. on a d700/ similar? Thoughts...?

Mel

At my bro in laws wedding this weekend. The 85 1.4 has seen a lot of action. However I bottled it slightly for the shots I really wanted and used my 50mm +/- bounced strobe for the shots I really wanted!!

S

Sorry to take a deviation from the Samyang 85mm lens thread here;

Sorry haven't returned to this thread for a while, here a few photo's shot with a Samyang 35mm f/1.4 lens for 'jameshobson' as requested by him a while ago;

6847_droplet.jpg

6834_remote.jpg

4825_trim.jpg

All photo's shot with Samyang 35mm f/1.4 manual lens

Sorry to take a deviation from the Samyang 85mm lens thread here;

Sorry haven't returned to this thread for a while, here a few photo's shot with a Samyang 35mm f/1.4 lens for 'jameshobson' as requested by him a while ago;

6847_droplet.jpg

6834_remote.jpg

4825_trim.jpg

All photo's shot with Samyang 35mm f/1.4 manual lens

Ahhh. This 35 f1.4 is looking tempting!!

Mel, this was a briefly captured one on my samyang 85mm at my bro' in law's wedding.

Love you Nan! by Sir SR, on Flickr

Back