Santa Pod raceway

Just had a job offer to shoot for a local magazine, at Santa pod in may, assuming ill be on press pass, any body have any tips or know what it's like and any good spots or vantage points which can only be accessed by press.

Thanks very much

With press accreditation you can get trackside, but only up to a marker point.

Santa Pod tend to ask for copies of your images on a cd, with unrestricted unpaid use. They say you accept this as a condition of getting a press pass.

Have you been there before ?

As far as I recall, most of the press are around the 60ft markers, cameras in hand

Nope never been to santa but really looking forward to it, ive got a decent sigma 50-500 so should be alright for freezing the cars, but the the 50 end should cover distance panning aswell so should be alright on the lens side of things. But not to worried about remote cameras was just a thought

There is a line painted on the ground, it is in front of one of the grandstands.

I don't believe Santa Pod credit photos as they assume all rights.

The media centre (portacabin) is not the best, wifi is slow at best. The staff are helpful.

Oh, OK - what event are you going to ? the big ones get massively busy but I'm not sure how close you can get with a press pass - I assume you'll be on the grass between the spectator barriers and the concrete barriers

Edit - maybe where you can get to covered in the above post

Havent been given any details apart from its in may, as its still early days as the job goes. but wont need to wire images there so wifi isnt a massive problem, but assuming it wont be a huge meet but really not sure, will update the post as soon as i find out which hopefully shouldn't be too long

Make sure you have decent ear protection before you go!. Have a look at any You Tube video of Santa Pod - especially the big events, and you will see where the photographers stand.

I haven't noticed them standing father along the bank but I shot this from up near the finish line.

Top Fuel at Santa Pod

My favourite thing at Santa Pod is to wander the paddock, there are loads of things to photograph there and you can get as close as you like, lots of "characters" there as well.

Hope you have a good time

David

Top Tip: Try to frame shots of the racing to included the christmas tree (start lights) not for any photographic reason other than you can watch the lights and press the shutter as the last yellow goes out. If you wait till the car moves or the light goes green you will end up with a lot of rear wheel or no car at all shots! Oh yeah and good ear defenders, ISTR a pair of top fuelers leaving the start line measures 3-4 on the richter scale!

I have been to santa pod numerous times in the past, but not since getting my camera equipment.... the speed of the motors are phenomenal so i'd personally try and get the shots nearer the start, and on the tyre laying/warming burnouts they do pre race....

just make sure you got one quick shutter as panning to one of the top fuellers must be a nightmare.... panning with a 50-500mm will prove hard work.... you'd be better of realistically with a wide aperture 200mm ish lens

good luck with the shoot!! make sure some pics go up here as id be keen to see them...

Thanks for all the information, had an email today from the client and i'll be attending on the friday, 24th May which is the FIA 'main event'. So its a mix of everything which looks good, just looks like alot isnt running on the friday, but looks promising.

The main event is a great event - am very jealous. As said above, don't forget to walk around the pits.

Hope you enjoy the day and the weather's kind - it's pretty open there so wrap up warm and enjoy the ' Pod glow you'll get :D

sounds great and i will be sure to walk around the pits, as im shooting for a careers magazine, im assuming i'll be taking photos of school children and some of which will be published. Is there anything which i will need to take into account legal wise or am i just over thinking?

Back