weekly *Sarah* 2012 52 week challenge. Yippee I made it!!

*Sarah*

Peel Me!
Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I have decided to join in and give myself a challenge!!

I have seen a big improvement in my photography this year since joining this forum and look forward to seeing an even bigger improvement this year!!

Good luck to everyone taking part!!

Last edited:
Well done Sarah, look forward to seeing your offerings :)

I notice its only us yorks girls so far, think our other halfs are'nt up to the challenge!!;);)

Local meet sounds good, think there could be a few!!:)

as you know mines,not interested in taking, but happy to be a willing assistant, good luck Sarah

Well here goes!

I had this idea to get a photo of a signpost with a few people walking around it in different directions around it.

Today was the first day I've managed to get out, I found a signpost but there weren't many people around. I decided to use a slower shutter speed to catch move.ment, this wasn't as easy as I thought as people walk at different speeds and this affects the amount of blur.

I'm not convinced by this shot yet and I have another idea if I get chance to shoot this week.

Direction by kitegirl66, on Flickr

I love the concept for this Sarah, a great shot! It definitely fits the theme and shows a lot of movement to go with the direction.

Excellent start, looking forward to your next 51!

That's a great idea for the theme. I'd imagine you were struggling for a long shutter on a sunny day?

I like POV, and composition, as you say though, if there were people in both directions it would be a true winner.

Keep it up

Scarborough...'nough said.

Like it. Well thought out and executed. Just the right amount of motion. It looks like the guy is looking at you :D

I straightened the horizon and, for me, it looked a bit better.

Overall, a great start.

Peter must be feeling the pressure...:nuts:

Good start Sarah, maybe a touch too much motion blur, but that would be me being picky :D All the best with the rest of your challenge (y)

I like this one although agree about the need to straighten it up.

I was there so can vouch for how many shots you have to go through to get a decent one - so well done. I can also vouch for how cold it was yesterday standing there while Sarah did this :whistle:

Great idea and like the idea of capturing the motion blur which yo've done very well. Agree with the others about straightening the shot (or the composition). Also the top sign does not look very sharp and I wonder if you did this hand held or with a tripod for the longer exposure. Good start to the project :)

Great idea, well executed. i like it, looking forward to the next 51

Really good idea would of loved like you said if it would of been a longer exposure and more movement would be great , great work good clean image

+1 from me too - like the blur. Good luck for the rest of the year - Graeme

Thank you all for your replies. I have taken all your comments on board and shall have a go at straightening it tomorrow night!

I found the amount of blur to be tricky as people walked at different speeds which meant that each shot varied greatly, any slower shutter speed and I found the figures looked like they only had one leg!

I will def try and reshoot this again with a different setting at some time!

Great idea and like the idea of capturing the motion blur which yo've done very well. Agree with the others about straightening the shot (or the composition). Also the top sign does not look very sharp and I wonder if you did this hand held or with a tripod for the longer exposure. Good start to the project :)

Thanks for your comments. I agree about the top of the sign, it was on a tripod but it was very windy so I dont know if that could have affected it. I'm not sure if the fact that the writing is also a bit blown and whether that has also affected the sharpness. I'll try and have a go tomorrow night to see if I can improve it.

Thanks Sarah

Cracker. Very colourful and graphic.

I tried this on my 2011 52 but really couldn't get a decent photograph :thinking:

I read somewhere that visually objects work better in odd numbers...not sure what cloning out the top right would produce.

NB: found it, The Odd 'rule'of composition...linky

Cheers.

Cracker. Very colourful and graphic.

I tried this on my 2011 52 but really couldn't get a decent photograph :thinking:

I read somewhere that visually objects work better in odd numbers...not sure what cloning out the top right would produce.

NB: found it, The Odd 'rule'of composition...linky

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, I will have a go at cloning the top right out in the next couple of days. I know in gardening they always say odd numbers are best!

I won't tell you how many attempts it took to get this one:bang: but I did after many attempts use glycerine which helped alot.
Will def have another at this in the future!

Sarah, what a little belter of a shot there (y)(y)

You must have the patience of a saint to get that :cool:

Thank you, not too sure about patience of a saint as I was pulling my hair out by the end of it!!

Hi Sarah that is a great shot. I do like it with the odd number.

Thanks, I agree about the odd number, thats the great thing about this forum its full of great advice!!

how did you do the refractions was the water on a piece of glass above the arrows?
love the shot by the way

You got it in one!!! I balanced the glass above the picture and then dropped water on to it. I used a 60mm macro and sb600 flash off camera. I also used glycerin as it held the drop shape for a little longer. I found it difficult to focus as the droplets kept spreading and therefore changing focus.

I will def revisit this in the future when I have more time and patience!!

Back