Sat Nav Advice....

Tom Tom...I just upgraded mine from a GO 700 to the new widescreen GO 720. Has an expansion slot for SD card to put extra stuff on - I now have maps of USA/Canada and Eastern Europe installed (yes - I have to drive in Canada, Poland and Czech Rep. as well as here in Germany and the UK on the rare occasions I get home...Hideous...).
Speed camera updates and traffic info are invaluable to me, as is the new feature of automatic map-correction updates (if you find a fault, like a new roundabout, you can update the map yourself as well as retrieve other people's corrections). Other features like auto-dimming in low light means you have to tap the screen a lot less then the older versions.
It's so good, I'll be using it in preference to BMW's Nav system, which I've deliberately not selected on my new car.

Oh and Halfords are still doing 30% discounts on selected models (online only).

Tom Tom...I just upgraded mine from a GO 700 to the new widescreen GO 720.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The very same here, The latest 720 has got everything including voice recognition so no pressing of buttons to enter the address you want, Just add the the address you want by telling it word for word, Fantastic..(y)

lol, now thats me all over! Open mouth, offend people, then think about it :D :LOL:

Looks like thats me n u upsetting everyone....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The very same here, The latest 720 has got everything including voice recognition so no pressing of buttons to enter the address you want, Just add the the address you want by telling it word for word, Fantastic..(y)

Yes but...Its out of my budget.

yes the pin is for a reset when it decides it doesn't want to boot up! (Tomtom one that is). Mine has only done it once, and apart from that i can't fault it. All the updates are by subscription (unless you know where to look) ;)

Yes but...Its out of my budget.

The GO 720 cost me £270 at Halfords, but the others in the range are wa-aaay cheaper and have most of the same features - they have the same operating system, maps and menu, but lack things like voice recognition, bluetooth/phone connectivity and iPod/music playback options. Just log onto the Halfords site and see what's on offer...
Mine even has a facility to store and show photos FFS! Something else I'll never use.

A couple of months ago, I asked more or less the same question here on TP. I found the information very useful and my husband decided to go with the Tom Tom One XL UK Maps as it had more features and a wide screen. He is a coach driver. The only annoying thing with Tom Tom is that the battery only lasts 2 and a half hours. Some of the new coaches he drives does not have a cigarette lighter in them, so we had to by a battery booster off fleabay which is great - another tip from a fellow peep here.

TomToms are very easy to use. I was about to buy one, but got a 'Binatone' from Staples for £100 and it's amazing, does everything I could want.

My only criticism is the slightly bulky window mount, but that's a small point as the unit is incredible for £100 and I saw no need to get the TomTom for another £80

Cheers,
James

I've had Tomtom on a PDA for ages but the PDA was a pain in the arse so I decided to get a standalone unit and went for the Garmin Nuvi in June. The mapping on it is very good but I am so used to tomtom and the way it worked that I just got annoyed using it, add to that the fact I couldn't tell it to avoid a specific part of a route means that it got given to my Dad last night and I have ordered myself a Tomtom 720 today. My suggestion would be much the same as with cameras - have a play and see which you find more intuitive to use. Go into halfords and have a good play then bugger off and buy it on the net as they are hideously expensive.

Another vote for the Tomtom. I ran it for yonks on PDAs and it could be a bit unreliable and need resetting, but now I'm running the new Tomtom wide screen standalone it's just the nutz.

If you do get one, make sure you have a needle or pin in the car - you'll need it!

DD

I really wish someone had given me that advice when I got mine. I now have an 'unfolded' paper clip permanently in my car. The TomTom has a nasty habit of 'crashing' when you need it the most, and needs to be reset by prodding the pin/paperclip or whatever into the minute little hole.

The main reason the TomTom's need resetting is due to people removing them from the windscreen mounts without switching them off. Switch off first and wait for a second for it to power down and then remove and you'll find it won't need resetting ;)

The main reason the TomTom's need resetting is due to people removing them from the windscreen mounts without switching them off. Switch off first and wait for a second for it to power down and then remove and you'll find it won't need resetting ;)

Mine is never removed from the windscreen mount - I usually find that it crashes as I try to switch it off or on :p

My old one only crashed occasionally (about 10% of the time) when I tried to update it using TomTom Home - it wouldn't switch off completely after being disconnected from the computer. I also carry a straightened paper-clip (which TomTom reccommend, incidentally) in the carry-case.
Now I have the new program and new model it's fine...very, very happy with it, especially now I have the ability to correct mapping errors - there are loads of new roads and roundabouts here in Germany - 80% of the motorways have construction work going on - after the frenzy of activity to bring the old East German roads up to spec, the rest of the road network was ignored for a decade, now it's all being repaired at the same time...madness!

Back