Sauces, the hotter the better. What do you use?

Too hot for me!
I like the Mama Africa range but they're getting harder to source (source ... get it ....).
Jalapeno, Red Chilli and Habanero all are brilliant.

Habanero Sauce

I like food too much to cover the taste up with any lip-searingly hot condiment - and, having had a rebore a few years ago, I have more respect for my bum than to make it a Johnny Cash song.

Dave's insanity sauce is terrible.
Yes it's quite hot (though not excessive) but it's all chemical hotness, there's no nice flavour about it.

What you want is some Bushmans. They do a big range from sweet chilli up to the silly stuff and everything in between.
http://www.bushmanschillishop.co.za/bushmansrevenge.html

My favourites are the hot az hell and the bushmans revenge. You don't need to use much. ;)

paste36.jpg

If you want to get rid of a cold, get the dynamite and put a couple of drops in a coffee or hot chocolate. :D
paste35.jpg

Someone might want to step up and offer them some product photography services though. :LOL:

Yep Encona is a good-un, Jamaican Scotch Bonnets included ... has to be the most flavoursome of all the chillies.

I have a Dave Insanity selection in the kitchen, nothing to the ones stashed in the fridge. Mad Dogs and Blair's do some nice hot sauces. Some of the special reserves are real nice if not expensive.

Scorchio have a great selection and UK based to.

Well, I like hot sauces.
Picked up a couple of bottles whilst away on holiday in September. In particular, Marie Sharps - "Beware Comatose Heat Level", a small 148ml bottle.

So far, have managed to use around 4mm down the neck of the bottle.

Had quite a nice taste to begin with, then, the heat starts to catch up. I was mixing it with some rice. Just had a quick google, and it is listed on some sites as 3 chillis out of 4. Wonder what a 4 must be like!

I've got some chilli oil, all heat and no flavour. Rated at about 4 million and comes with a dropper.:nuts: You can get or make any sauce you want then just add heat. Other than that It's Daves Ghost pepper sauce and use sparingly.

Last edited:
local company called chillisgalore.co.uk make a tasty little number called inferno - made with Dorset Naga's.

has a bit of a kick to it to say the least.

To be honest, i have found better stuff at local farmers markets etc than the mass produced stuff that claims to be hotter than the sun, etc.

To be honest, i have found better stuff at local farmers markets etc than the mass produced stuff that claims to be hotter than the sun, etc.

:plus1: The stuff marketed as 'ring of fire' hot has, more often than not, been designed for maximum heat and that comes at the expensive of flavour IMO. If that's what you want then fine, but I prefer to pick something that has a little more depth to the flavour rather than just finding the hottest sauce I can...Although with the standard of my cooking maybe I should just try and disguise it with the hottest sauce I can :LOL:

If you want to make your own dipping sauce to warm you up, you could try this. (Thai recipe)

first roast 20g of peanuts

Then take

The roasted peanuts
15-20 Birds Eye chillies (whole)
Handful of chopped Coriander
4/5 gloves of Garlic
1 tbl spoon of Sugar
1 tbl spoon of Fish Sauce
A splash of water

Crush and grind together in a pestle and mortar to make a course paste.

I'll warn you now this will be hot ;)

Great ideas all, keep them coming. We shall be having a testing few weeks coming up :)

Back