Save Camden Markets!

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Sign the petition here: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/camdenmarket/ and save Camden Markets from being re-developed as another shopping centre.

There's enough homogeneous shopping centres in this country, there's only one Camden market! My favourite jacket came from Camden market, when the weather's good enough it never leaves my back.

Actually there are six.

Michael.

it all depends which one they are getting rid off.
If its stables market (the one everyone calls camden market) then building a shopping centre over that would be a disgrace.

I had heard they were knocking down the station and building a new one. Would be very sad as that would mean an end to the electric ballroom. But on the other hand, camden station needs expanding as its dangerously over crowded

I live about 3 mins from Camden, and actually would be very happy to see the lot bulldozed.

I've never seen such a collection of naff 'stalls', posy muppets and the mentally-deficient in my life.

Clean it up, overpriced tat and faint smell of wee does not a community make. :D

Cheers,
James

Moos3h - you clearly don't like the area in which you live, why don't you move somewhere else that has less of the local trader culture you appear to abhor and more of the same-as-every-other-high-street-in-the-country shops and 'culture'.

I for one would rather support local, small-trader, enterprise and the diversity and art this encourages before it gets bulldozed into blandness like so much of the rest of the country.

Without sending this miles off-track, I DO actually like the area that I live, and we have very few of the every-other-high-street type shops.

I'm not against small traders, far from it - but I don't like the down-at-heel feel of Camden Market(s), let alone the attitude of a small minority that frequent it.

We've seen this before, look at the Kings Road - it used to be a cultural epicentre, and now features a lot of the bland high street shops, the same can be said for Westbourne Grove (used to live there too) and it's a shame.

There has to be a balance, but blocking any kind of change isn't the way forward.

Cheers,
James

It is the Stables that is being redeveloped, but they are not building a shopping centre so not sure where that has come from. The planning application also said something about the new units being small shops that will be attractive to independent retailers but not the big chains.

Michael.

I think Russell Brand has been doing stuff for this on his radio show on radio 2!

I saw a thing about this on the local news the other day, and they were showing the stalls that would be affected, and the argument for demolishing and rebuilding the area was that the original stalls had gone and it seemed full of knocked off gear, everyone seemed to be seeling the same junk rather than the tradional marker scenes that you see in covent garden.

Camden market died over 10 years ago. It's already been overdeveloped and turned into a mecca for overpriced tat aimed at tourists and people too daft to know better.

I'd love to have the real camden back but since you can never go backwards, it might as well be flattened and turned into something more useful to the people that live there.

Just my 2p's. :)

It is the Stables that is being redeveloped, but they are not building a shopping centre so not sure where that has come from. The planning application also said something about the new units being small shops that will be attractive to independent retailers but not the big chains.

Michael.

Even this I am somewhat against. What's wrong with leaving it as it is - a vibrant and bustling market community. Putting the traders into units makes it that little bit more sanitised and I feel will take away from the feel of the area.

There's usually ulterior motives at work too and what a planning application may first appear can get distorted over time. It wouldn't surprise me if this was a plan to get higher rate payers or bigger businesses in on the sly.

There is so much badly thought out and just plain bad development around these days (with some notable exceptions, Birmingham city centre being one) that I automatically assume that any new development will be bad and more often than not I am correct. As a result I have become very protectionist over places that I think are worth saving.

I saw a thing about this on the local news the other day, and they were showing the stalls that would be affected, and the argument for demolishing and rebuilding the area was that the original stalls had gone and it seemed full of knocked off gear, everyone seemed to be seeling the same junk rather than the tradional marker scenes that you see in covent garden.

I love Camden for the quirkiness it has about it, but given that there are 6 markets, they all sell the same stuff.

It is indeed the stables that they plan to redevelop. Our business is in the area [nothing to do with markets, but we are right next door to another, Queens crescent], and Camden, with their loathing of anything engine driven [cars, motorbikes, etc] have successfully killed many small businesses that used to rely on passing traffic. I can, to certain degree, understand that for people living near the market, that there is a degree of wanting to change it and change can often be a good thing, but just once in while, can't something be left as it it? Its quirky, a tourist trap [yes, thats the point these days] and totally different to Camdens other markets which are more targeted at locals...THEY are the places camden should be helping!

Back