Scaling Up Our Website - Vital We Get The Photography Right.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
At long last I find myself in a position when we return to work in January that I will be starting in earnest my quest to turn our website products in to objects of desirability by using the information gained from Garry and his book earlier this year combined with knowledge I have gained from “some” YouTube videos (some have been the opposite of helpful)

We now have a warehouse unit and I am commandeering an area where I will be taking shots of our products that will hopefully enhance there desirability and separate them out from our competitors when they appear in google shopping campaigns by photographing them in “lifestyle” situations (we sell mainly homeware)

We are also contemplating entering the big bad world of Amazon and as Garry has mentioned recently in another thread their ruling on photography, in particular the background, is very strict.

I have waited a long time for this but we have worked very hard on our online sales, shop and cafe over the last few months to give us a couple of months breathing space to make the breakthrough and try to scale up our online site to make it the dominant part of our business (getting a little fed up of making coffee many times a day)

I'm glad that you appreciate the value of good photography, many sellers don't . . .

But, important though good photography is, there are many other things that need to be right too. There's a limit to what I can say about Amazon in my books, sold on Amazon, but suffice it to say that you have to get every aspect of your listings on there right because, unlike on eBay, you can't change them later, you can only submit "suggestions" for change that Amazon may or may not accept, and if you make a simple mistake such as getting the weight of an item wrong (one of my friends has done so) you may find that you're flagged up as a "bad seller" and that innumerable conversations with their "help desk" will get you nowhere. Because of this, I strongly advise you to start on eBay and your website, learning on the platforms that you are able to change.

Speaking of which, if you want to send me a link to your website via PM, I may or may not be able to offer sensible suggestions - but not for a week or so, as I'm away with just my phone until then.

As for the actual photography, the only suggestion I feel able to make at this stage is that you pick a typical product, photograph it and post the results on here. The results should be completely unretouched. Various knowledgeable people will, I'm sure, post helpful suggestions, and other members will also benefit from those suggestions.

I can't quite believe that it was over 10 years ago, but here's a similar thread https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/fluorescent-or-halogen-help-needed.365254/

Completely re-racked the warehouse during Christmas and NYE so the office and photography area is next when we are back in. Getting quite excited that my camera is going to be getting used again.

Pictures will be posted as we get a little further down the line.

Back